Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Loov
Second Love

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2005 :  06:23:29  Show Profile  Send Loov a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah okay, bob! Then you of course remember General Hershey Bar (http://www.altmanphoto.com/Wastemoreland.html) and Gypsy Boots (http://gypsyboots.tripod.com/). Remember The Fool murals at the Aquarius? (http://www.orlok.com/hair/holding/photographs/hair/aquar.html)
Ok, I'll try to choke back this deluge of memories and references for the next three minutes.
I can't believe I missed seeing Love in the '80s....where were you? Al's Bar? Dark dank place buried downtown? I refrain from linking.
John E, so good to hear from you! I myself will be turning 50 on Friday, so no need to spin your age (wink).
In L.A., Little Red Book was their first radio hit, I think. Having the Burt Bacharach stamp must have helped that. It surely did...um..bomp. I'd love to hear Burt do his version today. He'd have Elvis Costello croon soulfully "oh won't you pleeeease, come baaaack, little gal.."
Jon, Alone Again Or was and is one of those songs that siezes you and makes you dream deep, waking dreams. And the sweet naked innocence of 'I could be in love with almost everyone / I think that people are the greatest fun'. Remember feeling that way for years on end? Well, maybe hours.... But yes, Red Telephone is suitably spooky for a wee 16er who's desperate to expand his mind. 'they're locking them up today, they're throwing away the key...' (vast political resonance). Boo! How very cute as a button.

trevor, thank you for chiming in. Glad you got to experience the tighter incarnation after your first disenchantment. And now here you are with us, kickin' it old school. Dawg.
love,

Loov
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2005 :  04:13:44  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Loov!... GEN. hERSHYBAR!. of course i remember him. his cohort, General Waste-more-land, was present a few times ,also! i just saw GYPSY BOOTS last year in my town, Canoga Park, CAL. at the FOLLOW YOUR HEART natural health store/resturaunt.he passed away recently, looked pretty sick when i saw him . we'll miss his spirit. the GriffitH pARK GATHERRINGS were partly sponsored by a fellow who's last name was cleon Knight, head of the Green Power organization, which provided free food, and on thanksgiving times, turkey dinners for all attendees at the love-in events! i remember also bringing my bongos to the KONGA KINGS jam area and jamming with the big bros. at the edge of the park.
Go to Top of Page

Susan B.
Third Love

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2005 :  08:35:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve: Why do you know these things about me My nickname was shared by many but I guess they all died. It was a concept name but not totally one person
I am tired now and go I have been driving back and forth to Vegas for the past past weeks. I have had my bedtime bowl and am ready to crash. Arthur Lee knocked on my front door in 1969. Fruitland Street near Vineland and Ventura and the Brass Ring. It was a party house that I was watching for a friend.

To bob f.: So long ago: those original love ins. I was fascinated/ Girl from the suburbs never seen anything like it and what I remember most are Gypsy, Vito and Susi dancing wildly. I had never even smoked. Everyone said, you really don't belong here. Gypsy died tecently. He moved to Camarillo and was stil promoting supplements. We were driving up north he was driving his truck back to Camirillo. Big promotion Kryolic. I am still taking it to this day.
Go to Top of Page

disconnected
First Love

Finland
6 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2005 :  00:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a fan since 1983 when found Love: Live picture disc at one of the second hand shops of my old hometown. I was 12 years old at the time and bought it as it contained 7&7 Is, which I knew from an Alice Cooper record :) The shops are long gone but the day I found that record will remain a very clear and dear memory. After, I got the studio albums as well and last month (thanks to having relocated in the UK) for me was the first chance to see Arthur on stage and to hear the music that has inspired and affected me throughout the years. Since it was my birthday (the London show) it could not have happened in a happier way. To hear A House Is Not A Motel and Between Clark And Hilldale and other forever un-changed favorites after all this time.. beyond description. I was so touched I think I was smiling and almost crying from joy and emotions throughout the gig. Unfortunately I missed the rest of the tour as had other commitments but am looking forward to July. Thank you for one of the best days of my life.
Go to Top of Page

Loov
Second Love

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  20:37:16  Show Profile  Send Loov a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
disconnected, what a wonderful birthday that must have been. Hope you stay connected (or change that name!) ( I.D.s and passwords are like little mantras, I think. I'd like to see you Connected.)
Susan B., what sad news about Gypsy Boots. Ever hear anything about his charming son, Alex?

Loov
Go to Top of Page

pieman
First Love

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2005 :  07:01:25  Show Profile  Visit pieman's Homepage  Reply with Quote
hey you know i was cleo's partner back then doing the green power thing!!! we definitely fed millions!!! remmeber "green power feeds millions"!!!where have all the peanut butter and honey sandwiches gone? lol!!!

quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

Loov!... GEN. hERSHYBAR!. of course i remember him. his cohort, General Waste-more-land, was present a few times ,also! i just saw GYPSY BOOTS last year in my town, Canoga Park, CAL. at the FOLLOW YOUR HEART natural health store/resturaunt.he passed away recently, looked pretty sick when i saw him . we'll miss his spirit. the GriffitH pARK GATHERRINGS were partly sponsored by a fellow who's last name was cleon Knight, head of the Green Power organization, which provided free food, and on thanksgiving times, turkey dinners for all attendees at the love-in events! i remember also bringing my bongos to the KONGA KINGS jam area and jamming with the big bros. at the edge of the park.

Go to Top of Page

disconnected
First Love

Finland
6 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2005 :  19:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Loov

disconnected, what a wonderful birthday that must have been. Hope you stay connected (or change that name!) ( I.D.s and passwords are like little mantras, I think. I'd like to see you Connected.)

Loov

Hi Loov, thanks for your nice and interesting reply :) The birthday was indeed unforgettable, and the name is merely a tribute to another favorite... Stiv Bators (had a great record called Disconnected) - I guess I come from a different school than most people here...?? :) Take care

Edited by - disconnected on 23/05/2005 19:29:39
Go to Top of Page

myoungish
Fifth Love

USA
264 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2005 :  07:56:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a first-hand story, but a profound evening nonetheless. It was the late-eighties and I was scouring my dads record collection (I was about seventeen.) My dad's a writer, poet, music reviewer, and didn't have a lot of "rock" records, mostly jazz and blues and classical. So when I peered at the sleeve of Forever Changes I was immediately fascinated, partly because of their mind-blowingly enigmatic group photo on the back cover, and partly because I sorta looked like Johnny Echols. Well, for some reason I went straight to Maybe the People Would Be the Times... and felt immediate shivers and a sense of deja vu. The mariachi horns, Arthur's cosmic and eccentric and prophetic lyricism and imagery....I had met a kindrid spirit in this strange and powerful group called Love.

Michael Young
Go to Top of Page

Loov
Second Love

USA
48 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2005 :  14:51:03  Show Profile  Send Loov a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, beautiful, Michael. To feel Love as a kindred spirit is really something. I always felt more like Love was beckoning from another world than mine. And how nice that you 'sort of look like Johnny Echols'. Good job!
I remember my brother at about the same age you were, singing and dancing along with 7 and 7 Is, and being so awed by the intense adolescent male energy that that song raises, like a cyclone of power that spins long after the drumbeat ends.
Anyway, blink blink, returning to the present...thank you for talking to us here, Michael! Grand to have you.

Loov
Go to Top of Page

legtrailer
First Love

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  01:17:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi - First time post - just read John E's post and thought how similar his memories were to mine.

In the early 60's I was a Beatles / Stones / Who fan and got more into Blues and Pshyca with Chicken Shack, Ten Years After, Zeppelin, King Crimson, etc.

A girlfriend (to who I will ever remain greatfull to ) played me some of her brothers LP's, Forever Changes and Da Capo , (plus some Chris Farlowe and Jethro Tull ) and from the floor of her front room they have 'stuck' as my favorites ever since.

I never got to see the band live in all the time since, but I started going to Wavendon Stables in Milton Keynes to see some of the old bands again 'for old times sake', and I booked up for Friday.

Hearing the news I first thought I might cancel now that Arthur is not there (and I wish him all the best for a recovery) but then I read the reports and I'm gonna give it a go. If musically the sound is there then guess all I've got to do is squint my eyes a bit and imagine I'm back in the 60's - that'll do for me !!

PS I told my daughter that under no circumstances was she to miss them when she was at Glastonbury and got a 'nothing' reply - until she returned home and admitted they were one of the best things she'd seen - There's hope for us all !!
Go to Top of Page

Singing Cowboy
First Love

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  12:58:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Similar stuff here, I suppose, except that I don't recall John Peel playing Love on Top Gear at all. I think I would have noticed it amidst The Edgar Broughton Band and Blossom Toes. I remember hearing "August" being played at The IOW Festival (Dylan) and being knocked out; on buying "Four Sail" thinking it was a one song album, and later realising I was wrong. At about the same time a chap in a Junk Shop in Glastonbury gave me a pile of LP's that he was throwing away, being too scratched to sell. Among them were "Forever Changes," Steve Miller "Sailor" and Hooker's "House of the Blues." They weren't too scratched for me and I loved them all. Did I see Love play at Bath Pavillion in about 1971? I think so, and I recall it as a shambles. Kept up with the news in Zig Zag until it turned into a Punk comic. Bought the Arthurly solo stuff, still like most of it, happy to see the band reform and loved the gig at Frome on Sunday. There you are, as Dylan said, my life in a stolen moment. Not relevent (although someone might find a connection) but I'm off to see Neil Innes at Gillingham (Dorset)tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Third Love

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  13:35:29  Show Profile  Visit Ben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have to admit that I don't specifically remember John Peel playing Love on Top Gear, but I can't think how else I'd have been aware of their music at the time. Love did appear in the Peelenium so he certainly liked them.
Go to Top of Page

Singing Cowboy
First Love

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  15:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The trouble with me is that often things that I am convinced I saw and heard prove to have been impossible; I am therefore happy to admit that the reverse is also possible, and that Peel did indeed play Love and I didn't like it. My tastes at that time were truly remarkable; I actually bought Spooky Tooth's single of "The Weight" in preference to The Band...
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  16:19:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loov and bob f.-some more memories of LA in '70. I was living with a friend on Wonderland. He worked at Zeidler and Zeidler (Z & Z) right next door to Schwab's on Crescent Heights just below Sunset. Schwab's was kinda famous for seeing 'movie stars' back then. I remember seeing lots of Hare Krishna people on Crescent Heights. There was a rumor that Peter Green from Fleetwood Mac got caught up with the Krisha's and left the band to be with them. I use to go to Canter's Deli late at night on week-ends and eat lox and eggs (yummy LOL). I also use to go to an Italian restaurant called 'Those 2 Famous Guys from Italy' and I think their slogan was 'Mama don't speak so good English'. Topless dancing was big-The Classic Cat. Barney's Beanery. I once went to Westwood to catch a flick. I think that was the only thing there at the time...the movie theatre. Anyway, while standing in line, I was behind a guy who had the longest hair and it was sort of in techno-color. It was Leon Russell and the movie was Performance. He was a really nice guy and he took me back to his pad where all kinds of people were hangin' out. All the 'food for the head' was there...very high times. I remember going to a place called 'The Corral' in Topanga Canyon a couple times because it was the stomping grounds for Canned Heat. I also used to go to Laguna and Seal and Venice Beach too. I have great memories of LA from back then. Lots of psychedelics-Orange Sunshine was awesome!!

Allan
Go to Top of Page

mikeb
Old Love

United Kingdom
516 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2005 :  17:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can distinctly remember John Peel playing August on Top Gear prior to Four Sail's release, he also played both Laughing Stock and Your Mind and We Belong Together when it was released in 1968. According to Ken Brooks' book Arthur Lee The Love Story he liked Laughing Stock so much he played it eleven times consecutively but I don't remember that, the quote on that in Castle 2 says he played it consecutively on the Perfumed Garden show but of course Radio London had closed when the single was released and John was doing Top Gear.

Bath Pavilion in 1971? Love toured in 1970 and I saw them at the Leeds Polytechnic on March 6th, the original tour schedule/advertising had them at the Bath Pavilion the day after. However Ken Brook's gig list and another advert reproduced in The Castle 2 says that this was changed to a gig at Sheffield University. They toured the UK in 1974 and 1975 according to Ken Brooks but no dates in Bath. Arthur was in good form particularly on Signed DC and Andmoreagain as I rememember at the Leeds gig but the band were a bit loose at times. I remember Gary Rowles breaking his guitar string on the first number Stand Out.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page