New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  04:17:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this worth to buy? I was just wondering. And also where can I find it at.

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  08:26:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was released on CD several years back. It should still be available but I would think that it commands a high price now. Intriguingly, the original vinyl release during the early 80s appeared in two separate editions with slightly different track listings. It is historically important of course, but in terms of sound quality, it is well behind Universal's Live In England 1970 and light years behind The Forever Changes Concert. Additionally,I seem to remember that the performance is from time to time ruined by screaming from some idiot in the audience.

Here it is on the Amazon UK site - not that expensive, really:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Love-Live-Whisky-Go-Go-1978/dp/B001J8R8UW/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1341815273&sr=1-1

Edited by - John9 on 09/07/2012 08:38:09
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2012 :  09:16:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a 15 song version on iTunes, as opposed to the 10 song version on CD. It states that it is the complete concert. I will have to check as there were either two sets, or two shows -I cannot remember off-hand. As previously stated, John Sterling often recorded live shows on his portable (Panasonic?) cassette recorder and I believe his tapes were the source of these recordings.
Go to Top of Page

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2012 :  00:43:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Arthur site's, I think "Keep On Shinning" from this show was being streamed randomlly. It was kind of cool that Bryan was there that night with Arthur singing this song. Keep On Shinning sounded like Arthur flirting with a bit in country.

Edited by - abraxas on 10/07/2012 00:46:37
Go to Top of Page

paramunga
First Love

3 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2012 :  21:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dukie

There is a 15 song version on iTunes, as opposed to the 10 song version on CD. It states that it is the complete concert. I will have to check as there were either two sets, or two shows -I cannot remember off-hand. As previously stated, John Sterling often recorded live shows on his portable (Panasonic?) cassette recorder and I believe his tapes were the source of these recordings.

Go to Top of Page

paramunga
First Love

3 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2012 :  21:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Dukie

There is a 15 song version on iTunes, as opposed to the 10 song version

Actually "Love Live - The Complete Show" is 16 songs (the 2nd song is a medley of two songs) and it's only available as digital download on all major music sites, Amazon, iTunes, eMusic, Rhapsody, etc, and it is the best versions of all the songs performed that weekend. Also it contains 2 versions of "Old Man" (the first version Arthur sings along, the alternate version is just Bryan singing). Bryan also performs a second song, "Happy Song". Although it's not exactly studio quality, it is very listenable.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  17:00:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dukie and Paramunga...thanks for the call on this. I had no idea that there was such a thing as 'the complete show'...and it partly explains the enigma of Movin' On - a beautifully soulful rendition which had appeared under the wrong title on an unusual Rhino sampler during the early 1980s. It is definitely time to reappraise this release...I was wrong to dismiss it all in the way I did earlier in this thread.

Edited by - John9 on 23/07/2012 17:01:44
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2012 :  10:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I already have 3 vinyl releases from this show, but I think that there is enough on this release to edge me in to a purchase.Thanks to the well-informed Paramunga (welcome) and my friend John9 for their input into this topic.
I was actually at The Whisky in July 1979 and whilst buying tickets to see a show (The Motels) I asked if Arthur had played there recently, and of course he had - the previous October. I believe that the person I asked was Ronnie Haran....
Go to Top of Page

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2012 :  01:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what convinced Bryan to do these shows. Bryan was 1000 degrees away from what Arthur was at. From the Book of Love, Bryan didn't like the guys that Arthur was hanging out with based on from backstage at the Whisky in '78.

This is the time and life that I am living
And I'll face each day with a smile
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page