New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2012 :  22:50:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many UK readers will know that former GLC leader, MP and Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone was defeated late last week, for a second time by Boris Johnson in the London mayoral elections. This result bucked the national trend which had seen Labour making big gains from both the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats. He has since said that he will not stand for elected office again...and nor would he accept a seat in the House of Lords.

I mention this only because Ken is certainly the most famous Love fan in Britain. In 1993, You Set The Scene was one of his eight choices for Desert Island Discs with Sue Lawley and a much later interview with him is included as a bonus feature on the Love Story DVD. During his GLC days, he was seen by many as an important check on the radicalism of Mrs Thatcher's government....so much so in fact that the was honoured in song by.....Kate Bush...in her song, Ken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Opl8t-Wahc

Edited by - John9 on 08/05/2012 22:56:04

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2012 :  01:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Many UK readers will know that former GLC leader, MP and Mayor of London, Ken Livingstone was defeated late last week, for a second time by Boris Johnson in the London mayoral elections. This result bucked the national trend which had seen Labour making big gains from both the Conservatives and Liberal Democrats. He has since said that he will not stand for elected office again...and nor would he accept a seat in the House of Lords.

I mention this only because Ken is certainly the most famous Love fan in Britain. In 1993, You Set The Scene was one of his eight choices for Desert Island Discs with Sue Lawley and a much later interview with him is included as a bonus feature on the Love Story DVD. During his GLC days, he was seen by many as an important check on the radicalism of Mrs Thatcher's government....so much so in fact that the was honoured in song by.....Kate Bush...in her song, Ken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Opl8t-Wahc

Thanks, J9....nothing but RESPECT & LoVE for the man!

HIGH ALL THE TIME...
-Mad River
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0PCzH-K1hg
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  14:11:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I recommend seeing him in the Love story dvd. Real insightful commentary on FC and what it stood for. Now if I was a tv interviewer I'd haul some of you together with him, members of the band up on a dais (we'll put it up between Clark and Hilldale) and then have a verbal chinwag about the times, the band and the records...;-)...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page