New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  19:30:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A friend & his buddy went guitar shop hunting...they went to browse all the cool guitars around LA, not to buy, as he already has a mint Strat.

They found a shop in Santa Monica that has an amazing collection of vintage guitars.

My friend was trying out one of the guitars, while his buddy kept seeing a dude popping his head around the corner to listen. He suddenly said, "Hey, that guy looks familiar and I think he's Rusty Squeezebox from Arthur Lee's Love band!" So he went over and asked if he was. He replied back, "That's me."

My friend told Rusty he was a huge Love fan and then Rusty said the reason he lept looking around the corner was that he was impressed by the guitar licks going down. So then my friend played a few Love songs he knew and asked if he was close on the chords, or was he missing something. He did forget a few chords on one song, so Rusty picked up an acoustic and they played together for a while-- though even Rusty forgot a chord or two himself.

He got Rusty's autograph, and hopes that the next time he goes over, Mike Randle will be there too--yeah he works there too.

They were much younger than my friend (he & I are 60's kids) but the generation gap was easily bridged -- with Love!

My friend's buddy called back a couple days later and, yes... Mike Randle answered this time.

Oh, for anyone in the area, the shop is called Truetone Music, 714 Santa Monica Blvd, Santa Monica, CA 90404. They have a web page.

It is also rumored that Dave Chapple works there too.

Unfortunately. they are not playing or gigging much anymore it seems.
But anyone in the area...I am sure they would love to jam with you...after all that's what they do...the gift of music!

Here is Baby Lem's myspace page with some plays of their own songs.
http://www.myspace.com/babylemonademusic

“He created his own Kool Aid reality and was able to illuminate himself by it.”
--Richard Brautigan, Trout Fishing in America

ruxprncd
Fifth Love

305 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  07:56:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks Kid...good to hear the update. I bought an amazing amp through them/Mike R. a while back.
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2012 :  11:59:23  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So is Rusty back Stateside? Last I heard he was in Sheffield, UK.

For the time that I've been given's such a little while and the things that I must do consist of more than style....
Go to Top of Page

ladylove
Fifth Love

276 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  04:12:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These guys are the epitomy of class, glad to see they are moving on...they deserve only the best!!!
Go to Top of Page

tedhead
Third Love

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2012 :  01:27:08  Show Profile  Send tedhead an AOL message  Reply with Quote
I for one hope they still do more gigs with Johnny Echols...I love everything I have heard from them.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page