Rolling Stones and Country Fish
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  16:07:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two interesting rock and roll artifacts I've been into recently-Country Joe and the Fish's Greatest Hits on the probably now defunct Vanguard Label and the Rolling Stones "Gimme Me Shelter" documentary which gives us a glance at the band's 1969 U.S. tour which ended in the infamous tragedy at Altamont.I'm in the market to find the Monkees' "Head" movie on DVD.Does anyone here know whether or not there are any good DVD special features on this one?Sometimes the special features are as enjoyable as the featured presentation.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  17:39:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

Two interesting rock and roll artifacts I've been into recently-Country Joe and the Fish's Greatest Hits on the probably now defunct Vanguard Label and the Rolling Stones "Gimme Me Shelter" documentary which gives us a glance at the band's 1969 U.S. tour which ended in the infamous tragedy at Altamont.I'm in the market to find the Monkees' "Head" movie on DVD.Does anyone here know whether or not there are any good DVD special features on this one?Sometimes the special features are as enjoyable as the featured presentation.

I have both FIsh on Vanguard vinyl--Electric Music & Fixin' Die...both essential!

HEAD--there are extras/trailers that show how it was marketed that are very cool...and rather risque for the time.

The movie is the only REAL reason to own it!! Brilliant anti-masterpiece so to speak. Did it destroy their career? NAH! It was already going away and this just gave them credence as a REAL musical act for the ages. If the Monees were JUST a TV act as reputed, why have they endured so long?!

They must have had that something special only true musicians have!!

TALENT!

“He created his own Kool Aid reality and was able to illuminate himself by it.”
--Richard Brautigan, Trout Fishing in America

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/04/2012 17:41:24
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  16:52:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OOPS! I think I left this Rolling Stone post on the wrong thread.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9865 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  18:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

OOPS! I think I left this Rolling Stone post on the wrong thread.

As a film--DVD, GIMME SHELTER works just fine HERE, though it can go here or "there".

And HEAD also works here. Well...it works ANYWHERE!

“He created his own Kool Aid reality and was able to illuminate himself by it.”
--Richard Brautigan, Trout Fishing in America
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  02:53:27  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
well, aside from the mainstream movie documentary of the Altamont event,I haven't seen any other videos or movies of it.
I was there, and still know that the Flying Burrito Brothers were great. We all were tossing around little Frisbees during their set, and most of the day is a big blur.....there was a big fat crazy naked man that pushed me ....I heard he was killed ....I hitched a ride home with my girl-friend....I read the news...it was a bummer it said in the paper....but it wasn't all black and white , I was there, amidst the good the bad and the ugly, and it was a whole trip....

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  20:00:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I certainly envy you for your Altamont experience.I was just a little over three months old when it happened.Did you also attend Woodstock or any of those hippy dippy trippy liquid light shows?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page