New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  03:38:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't sure if Love had experienced racism or segregation while at venues between '65-'66. I mean it was the 60s and everything, and I wasn't sure if they experienced. Didn't they go to Dallas for some show, or was it just some meet and great at Neiman Marcus.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2012 :  19:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johnny said that shows slated for the midwest or south would mysteriously be cancelled once the racial makeup if the band was discovered. I can't remember ever hearing of any actual run-ins with rednecks...you know the "your kind ain't allowed in here" type of thing. One with long hair was as likely to encounter that same prejudice anywhere beyond those rarified "Freak Zones"

But it's not the kind of thing one likes to talk about...not a proud time in America's history. That may be partly why Arthur preferred the safe confines of California and his safe hang outs....LA (the Strip anyway) & SF were quite integrated, musically/venue wise anyway. Forget about Watts...that was another part of history and LA.

Between Clark and Hilldale was where you could be free!! Small pockets where we could let our freak flags fly--I was luckily in one of those...a nice Iowa University town where half the population was the school..and the likes of Kurt Vonnegut & Richard Brautigan taught.

Read Brautigan's "Trout Fishing In America" for a freak allegory & humorous sketch of the times....

“Excuse me, I said. I thought you were a trout stream.
I'm not, she said.”
--Richard Brautigan, Trout Fishing in America

“He created his own Kool Aid reality and was able to illuminate himself by it.”
#8213; Richard Brautigan, Trout Fishing in America

We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers & discoverers-
-thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses.
Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973

Edited by - lemonade kid on 02/04/2012 19:46:49
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page