New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  06:32:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was this song ever done live. With the original band. This is a pretty cool. I like the second part of the suite.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  16:49:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's hard to get a read on what if any song from FC was performed live in 1967 until their breakup. Live concerts were few and far between...maybe the New York State stand? Too bad Arthur fled before the Florida Rock Fest...that might have been monumental for LoVE. But then they likely would have been too stoned to appreciate it!

Set lists are sketchy or non-existant. Torben or Dukie? Anyone?

Of course how many monumental events were blown over the course of their career...no Monterey Pop...and....well, spotty touring in general!

We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers & discoverers-
-thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses.
Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  17:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they somehow had played it live it would have probably been either greatly shortened or really redone to fit the boundaries of a concert. The strings and horns are so essential to the song's greatness that without them it would be unrecognizable.

You set the scene
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  17:23:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That alone probably kept them from performing much if any FC tracks live. Plus they hardly ever practiced or performed together after FC, so they likely relied on songs they knew very well.

The songs for FC were just newly worked out for the recording sessions...I wonder if they could have played them live thereafter without a LOT of practice!

We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers & discoverers-
-thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses.
Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2012 :  17:55:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if Johnny or Michael can remember?
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  00:12:34  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"You Set the Scene" was never even attempted live until the 96 tour. We talked about it frequently until Arthur grew weary of hearing me and the band urging him to give it a go. The very first time Arthur sang it "live" was at a soundcheck. I think it was in Malmo or Stockholm, Sweden. (Perhaps Mike Randle wrote of this in his diary of the 96 tour?) But it wasn't until near the end of the end of the tour, in London that Arthur finally relented and pulled it out as an encore.

Other songs I also urged him to play in '96 were "Stand Out" and "Be Thankful for What You've Got". The band vetoed "Stand Out", for some reason they never liked that tune. Arthur vetoed "Be Thankful" because he didn't think the band would have the right R&B feeling for the tune, but I did get to hear a spontaneous unplugged jam on "Be Thankful" in a hotel room (I think in Odense, Denmark - again check Mike's diary?)

One thing about Arthur, he would sing anything on the drop of a dime. Always fun to be around. You just had to mention a song and he'd sing it for you! As great as the Henry Fonda Theater show was, you really should have been backstage BEFORE the show where one of his high school buddies dropped by the dressing room and they launched into a whole medley of doo-wop favorites. Arthur loved doo-wop and I think that put him in a great mood for the Fonda show.

Edited by - jazmaan on 05/05/2012 00:13:21
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2012 :  02:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought it was "Time is like a river" sung by Arthur in the hotel room
Go to Top of Page

abraxas
Fourth Love

USA
216 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  18:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought he started playing You Set the Scene in his FC comeback tour in '03. I kind of figured that it's pretty much hard to play 80% of the songs from Forever Changes without the strings and horns.
Go to Top of Page

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  23:38:14  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As I said, unless you count the Sweden soundcheck, You Set the Scene was first performed as an encore in London in 1996. And several tunes were jammed in Danish hotel rooms on that tour but the one l remember most was Be Thankful for What You've Got.
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2012 :  00:59:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe that the first live version of "You set the scene " was played at the Powerhouse in London on May 26th 1996.Unfortunately I wasn't at this show but had been at The Garage show the night before. This was the first time that I met the members of Baby Lemonade and I had drink with Mike and Rusty at the bar after the show.When Arthur came back to the UK in 2002 I was particularly pleased that he had the BL band with him again because they had performed so well in 1996.They were also very approachable and I am sure that Tina, Lizzy B, Scottish Keith, John E and many other fans would agree with me. Over the next couple of years I saw some great Love gigs and had some great times with the band before and after the shows.
It is a pity that I didn't meet up with Jazman in 1996, though.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2012 :  14:13:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you really should have been backstage BEFORE the show where one of his high school buddies dropped by the dressing room and they launched into a whole medley of doo-wop favorites. Arthur loved doo-wop and I think that put him in a great mood for the Fonda show.

good to hear jazmaan....Arthur always had an ear for melody and doo wop had it in droves..I can see how he used to 'tune-up' the vibes..
maybe the recorder was going for outtakes????....;-).........
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page