Byrds Live at Buddy's in England
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ashrob
Second Love

49 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  21:04:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have owned this bootleg issued on Fly Records for about 40 years.

White cover with black and white picture of McGinn, White, Battin and Parsons on the front.

No date.

Tracks:

Side One
Eight Miles High
Lover of the Bayou
My Dog Blue
Well Come Back Home
My Back Pages

Side Two
You Got Me Doing Whast I Want To Do
He was a Friend of Mine
Willin
Fiddle Song
Take a Whiff on Me

Does anyone have any knowledge of this ?

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/03/2012 :  22:12:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Recently, I've seen it go for $99 in good condition. On "Fly" label, right?

It is rare....how's the audio? I've never seen it digitized anywhere.
The date is 1970, I believe.

A keeper, ashrob!

We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers & discoverers-
-thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses.
Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
Go to Top of Page

Ashrob
Second Love

49 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  19:32:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help LK. Yes its on Fly Records.

I don't remember a club in the UK called Buddy's at that time.

Can anyone help or is there a Torben type Byrds website where I can investigate this further ?
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  00:33:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Ashrob -Live At Buddy's is actually a misnomer. As LK says, it is taken from a 1970 show - but the venue was Het Concertgebowe, Amsterdam. I'm not certain as to how the release acquired its alternative and misleading title. The entire concert became available twenty odd years later on a double CD and a triple vinyl bootleg....but the best news of all is that Wolfgang's Vault now have almost the whole thing. You can listen or download as you prefer - the quality is quite reasonable. The first link is to the early show....but you'll also find a late one with a different set list:

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/the-byrds/concerts/concertgebouw-july-07-1970-early-show-set-1.html

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/the-byrds/concerts/concertgebouw-july-07-1970-early-show-set-2.html

Getting back to the original bootleg, I remember seeing it at Virgin Records in Birmingham in 1972. The long hair of each of the group members looked as though it was being blown by a giant fan.

As for sources about the band's unofficial releases, Johnny Rogan's recently published tome Requiem For The Timeless has fifty-nine pages on Byrds' bootlegs!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Byrds-Requiem-Timeless-Volume-1/dp/0952954087/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1331683345&sr=1-1

And the best Byrds' site is Raoul's Byrds Flyght....based in Belgium:

http://users.skynet.be/byrdsflyght/main.htm

Edited by - John9 on 14/03/2012 01:16:52
Go to Top of Page

Ashrob
Second Love

49 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2012 :  20:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks John9 for all the information you have provided.

Used to buy all my records from a shop in Dudley. The Shop Manager brought it back for me following a trip to London. I remember it being twice as expensive as a standard LP.

I always went to the Discory when visiting Birmingham and was a regular at Birmingham Town Hall, the Odean and Mothers.

I saw Love 3 times in the 70s at the Town Hall and the Rum Runner and each time they played in Birmingham in the 2000s.

I didn't see The Byrds in Birmingham but saw Roger McGinn when he toured with a band after The Byrds. I did see The Byrds at The Lincoln Festival
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  17:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Ashrob - sadly, I never saw The Byrds play as a band. Though I have seen McGuinn, Crosby, Gene Clark and Hillman perform separately. I envy you seeing the Clarence White lineup at Lincoln....they were supposed to be fantastic there weren't they? They had returned to England at that time specially to record the Farther Along album.

I occasionally used to visit Virgin Records in Birmingham because I was uni in Leicester at the time. Virgin then still had a slightly undergound feel to it...you never quite knew what you were going to find there. Being a huge Byrds fan, then as now, I did seriously contemplate buying Live at Buddy's.... at the time, I think it was the only Byrds bootleg in existence. But as you say, it was very expensive...and there was no knowing what the sound quality was going to be like. And so I bought Love's False Start there instead....I think for £1.95 .

Edited by - John9 on 15/03/2012 17:43:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page