Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  01:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some art that I created for Michael, at Michael's request.

I was so impressed by Michael & Kenny as the anchor and rhythm section of that album coda.

So I asked Michael today if I could post his concise answer---I had asked Michael how he and Kenny got to that place of perfection for FC.
Most we already know from bits and pieces of PC and FC bios, but this is a complete perfect answer.

Great to hear from you.

Arthur and Bryan simply played their songs for the other members of the group up at Arthur's house in the canyon and we worked out our parts individually during rehearsals, with no input whatsoever from any of the other members that I can recall. The problem was, we really didn't rehearse the material enough as a group before going into the studio at Sunset Sound the first time, and to make matters worse, we were completely out of practice from not having played any live dates for months.

We came back in the second time around a month later, after having practiced our parts at home individually, (but with no further rehearsal time as a group) and were able to get the job done.

I'm happy beyond words that people still find enjoyment in listening to Forever Changes. As you know, Arthur and Bryan were profoundly gifted singers, songwriters and musicians, and the product of their hard work and inspiration is evident in the longevity and timelessness of the album.

Take care my friend, Michael

...so I'm back for another listen right now. And yes, Michael, you "got the job done!" Talk about understatement!

cheers to all here
lk

If your copy isn't handy, here is a listen now...DAMN good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdELzBV9pyo

We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers & discoverers-
-thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses.
Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973

Edited by - lemonade kid on 18/02/2014 20:37:57

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  02:41:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too listened again to this. It's not just the words, but the finale, those horns blasting away, as if everything is gonna be alright, the sun is shing thru, and something great has happenned or is about to happen. I do feel this.
Go to Top of Page

dyecraig
Fourth Love

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  23:46:58  Show Profile  Visit dyecraig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
those trumpets are workin' it!
as a trumpet player, it's not an easy lick, especially when it jumps up an octave higher.
bud brisbois was a studio trumpet monster, so it was probably no big thing for him!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  00:09:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Michael was quite taken that KulaJohn was teaching a class in Bangladesh that featured "You Set The Scene". Hence his last paragraph....

I'm happy beyond words that people still find enjoyment in listening to Forever Changes. As you know, Arthur and Bryan were profoundly gifted singers, songwriters and musicians, and the product of their hard work and inspiration is evident in the longevity and timelessness of the album.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973

Edited by - lemonade kid on 18/02/2014 20:38:43
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  01:38:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how do you grade someone on "You set the scene" though!
Go to Top of Page

rsdmems
First Love

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2012 :  04:48:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, here's a live rendition of that song from 2004 that may be even better than the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBidwdGUekc
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2012 :  16:49:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is just perfect
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  18:49:23  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey LK - thanks for letting me know that Michael approved of my lesson! As I said before, it was great fun and went down well.

For the time that I've been given's such a little while and the things that I must do consist of more than style....
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  19:00:00  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
p.s. I actually showed that 2004 live version to my students. I totally agree, it's the finest live version of the song I've seen. Arthur is the coolest man on earth and the BL guys truly demonstrate just why they were crucial to the Love revival. It's also a little heartbreaking watching it.

For the time that I've been given's such a little while and the things that I must do consist of more than style....
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  19:14:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rsdmems

Hey guys, here's a live rendition of that song from 2004 that may be even better than the original:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBidwdGUekc

Brilliant and sad for me, also.

Arthur was obviously ill by that time....Immense joy and great sadness from this wonderful video...his final beaming smile and low bow, shaking the tambourine, is so touching.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
Go to Top of Page

rsdmems
First Love

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  19:37:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, my mistake in saying that the Jools Holland appearance was from 2004. I just double-checked, and it originally aired in November 2003... Sorry!

And yes, when Arthur smiles at the end, it's truly the smile of a guy who knew that his work was deeply appreciated almost 40 years after he'd created it. Most artists never get that chance (would van Gogh have killed himself if he knew he was going to turn out to be "van Gogh", lol?), so from that standpoint it feels really good to see him smile. We're all gonna "go" sometime and very, very few of us will be emotionally moving huge numbers of people long after we're gone (or even while we're alive, for that matter), and so for his sake we can be happy about that.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  19:42:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rsdmems

Hey guys, my mistake in saying that the Jools Holland appearance was from 2004. I just double-checked, and it originally aired in November 2003... Sorry!

And yes, when Arthur smiles at the end, it's truly the smile of a guy who knew that his work was deeply appreciated almost 40 years after he'd created it. Most artists never get that chance (would van Gogh have killed himself if he knew he was going to turn out to be "van Gogh", lol?), so from that standpoint it feels really good to see him smile. We're all gonna "go" sometime and very, very few of us will be emotionally moving huge numbers of people long after we're gone (or even while we're alive, for that matter), and so for his sake we can be happy about that.

Thanks for that vid, rsd....and a warm WELCOME to LoVE!!!

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  20:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that the release date for Pegasus Carousel has been pushed back to July. Any word from Michael on whether it might happen this time?

You set the scene
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  22:02:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by underture

I see that the release date for Pegasus Carousel has been pushed back to July. Any word from Michael on whether it might happen this time?

You set the scene

I'll ask.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2012 :  22:33:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is Black Beauty out yet?
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts