Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2012 :  23:09:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...fixed the spelling!

Buffalo Springfield was considered the best band in LA (or LoVE ), and Moby Grape the best in SF. They crossed paths and became friends and saw each other perform.

Peter Lewis tells a story of how Stephen "stole" a song from the Grape -- on his rare Peter Lewis with David West-Live From Bremen CD (if you EVER have the chance..get this one!! Right, RW?!!).

Peter: "Ok, this next one is from our second album and it's called "Murder In My Heart For The Judge". But ...a little story about this...We used to be good friends with Buffalo Springfield and there's, like, Neil Young's new book so its documented in there, so its not just me blowing smoke up here...

...at some point when I first met Neil & steve and they came up looking for Skip Spence, cause he was in Moby Grape and was also the original drummer for jefferson airplane, and the day they showed up, we had this little place up in Marin county that was an old ferry boat that had beached and they turned it into a rock and roll club, and we had this place to ourselves and we played every night. Neil and steve had heard that Skip had a new band and and so they came up to see us cause they heard we were pretty good. So I saw them walking up the gang plank that first day, and I didn't know the Bufalo Springfield, I was more of a Byrds/Lovin Spoonful guy,

...or when I was playing in LA I was always playing at Gazzarri's and they were playing at the Whiskey I was always working,I heard they were good though. And then the two guys came walking up. For some reason I, just, Buffalo Springfield just went off in my head and I just knew who those guys were. And they turned out to be Neil Young & Stephen Stills.

We spent the whole day playing together, and they hung out for about a week and brought the rest of the band up there and started playing alternate sets with us at The Ark. Then They went back to LA, and when they came back to do a gig at the Avalon here Stephen came up to me and he said "hey man, we just did this song, and we realized it was two of your songs...but you know, is it cool?" And so, of course it was cool...!!

I mean it's a compliment right? ...and people think you're good. In those days it wasn't all this copyright stuff...right? It was just musicians trying to ...it's more of like, this little group of people that were tryin' to, like.. feed off of each other and be creative.

So anyway this is the song or one of the songs that Stephen..see if you remember this, man, see if you know what song that Stephen wrote (David-"...based on this")..I'm not even gonna tell you, ok?...ha ha!

Right, two, three, four..."

Murder In My Heart For The Judge..in other words at a gig in Michigan in 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7W2lSbqgFo

So share you favorite Grape & Buff tunes here! Guess it's all a part of the same music! Life that is...

We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers & discoverers-
-thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses.
Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams.

-Peter S. Beagle 1973

Edited by - lemonade kid on 23/01/2012 00:07:22

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  23:45:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pretty amazing you can't find the 1st Moby Grape in print officially, aside from on Vintage (on import?)

the live Peter Lewis album I haven't heard, although his solo album with the rerecording of "Sitting by the window" is very good indeed. I remember years ago when it came out (German? import) that it was mentioned in Rolling Stone that it had seen release, and had a rerecording of Sitting By The Window

Moby Grape seems to have peaked with their first album, although their second (Wow) did the best commercially (its probably their weakest album though - these days I tend to listen to Moby Grape 69 or the 1st album if I want to hear Moby Grape!)

I've always been surprised that a best of release didn't just include the entire first album, but I guess you can't do that. Otherwise every Love best of would just feature Forever Changes!

along with the odd track off the first Love album (not bad, but not great) and side 1 of da capo!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page