Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 MOBY GRAPE-3 withdrawn by Sundazed-FIXED link!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  00:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whoops...we need that fine finger tribute to Katz...

It's too late for them to get their due but Katz needs to get HIS!

In 2006, after three decades of court battles, the band finally won back its name.[33][34] Moby Grape's success was significantly impeded by decades-long legal disputes with their former manager, Matthew Katz. Legal difficulties originated shortly after the group's formation, when Matthew Katz insisted that an additional provision be added to his management contract, giving him ownership of the group name. At the time, various group members were indebted to Katz, who had been paying for apartments and various living costs prior to the group releasing its first album. Despite objecting, group members signed, based in part on an impression that there would be no further financial support from Katz unless they did so. Neil Young, then of Buffalo Springfield, was in the room at the time, and kept his head down, playing his guitar, and saying nothing. According to Peter Lewis, "I think Neil knew, even then, that was the end. We had bought into this process that we should have known better than to buy into."[4] The dispute with Katz became more acute after the group members' rights to their songs, as well as their own name, were signed away in 1973, in a settlement made without their knowledge between Katz and Moby Grape's then manager (and former producer), David Rubinson. It was also a settlement made at a time when Bob Mosley and Skip Spence were generally recognized as being legally incapacitated from the effects of schizophrenia.[35] In September 2007, a reunited Moby Grape performed for over 40,000 fans at the Summer of Love 40th Anniversary Celebration in San Francisco's Golden Gate Park.

In October 2007, Sundazed Records reissued the Grape's first five albums (with bonus tracks) on CD and vinyl . The following month, the label was forced to both withdraw and recall Moby Grape, Wow and Grape Jam from print on both vinyl and CD because of a new lawsuit by former manager Katz. Sundazed stated on their website that they were directed to withdraw the three titles by Sony BMG (inheritors of the band's original label, Columbia), from whom Sundazed had licensed the recordings.[36] These developments have resulted in a particular emotional setback for Bob Mosley.[37] Of the four surviving band members, three still play to a regular degree. Jerry Miller appears as both a solo artist and as a member of the Jerry Miller Band, and plays regularly in the Washington State area.[38] Peter Lewis released a debut CD in 1995 and forms an acoustic duo with David West (released Live in Bremen, 2003). Lewis also spent three years (2000–2003) as a guitarist with the reformed Electric Prunes, contributing to the band's Artifact album (2002). Bob Mosley's relocation to the Santa Cruz area has been noteworthy for weekly guest appearances with veteran country artist Larry Hosford, a stalwart of the Santa Cruz music scene, and in occasional duos with ex-Doobie Brothers keyboardist Dale Ockerman.[39] Don Stevenson, who has rejoined Moby Grape for occasional performances, has developed business interests outside of the music industry, including time share sales of recreational property in Whistler, British Columbia, Canada, where he maintains a residence. Moby Grape continues to perform occasionally, performing with core members Jerry Miller, Bob Mosley and Peter Lewis, and in such incarnations as with Skip Spence's son Omar joining on vocals and Jerry Miller's son Joseph on drums. New recording commenced in 2009, following the release of The Place and the Time, a well-received collection of demos, outtakes, alternate versions and otherwise unreleased material from the band's 1960s recording period. In 2010, Don Stevenson, Jerry Miller and Omar Spence performed at the South by Southwest music festival,[40] while Peter Lewis appeared separately. -wiki

So until it is set right...here is Moby Grape's recalled Sundazed release d/l--stereo masterpiece.

(I deleted the previous file--no password and it was "WOW!" sorry!)
http://filecrop.com/25862315/index.html

RIGHT ON!

Omaha....listen my friends!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_FlNwQlBmU

Naked if I want to...is there a better 59 second song?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b8utHBk3aQ

I'm just dead, I'm not gone.
-Jim Dickinson

Edited by - lemonade kid on 11/12/2011 22:51:01

torben
Fifth Love

Denmark
328 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  14:00:51  Show Profile  Visit torben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Do you know the password to the downloaded file?
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  18:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a 2009 (2010?) release of the album with the 2007 bonus tracks in digipack - available on import

Heaven knows if its official - got mine from eBay Germany - otherwise you're stuck hunting down the Vintage 2CD!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  20:21:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by torben

Do you know the password to the downloaded file?

Hey Torb...I don't ..but here is a d/l no password needed...

I'll will get a mono mix here when I can.

Below is the 2007 s/t stereo mix with bonus tracks...
http://filecrop.com/25862315/index.html

BTW--you can use this Filecrop site to find all the deleted Moby Grape and then some!

-Jim Dickinson

Edited by - lemonade kid on 10/12/2011 20:23:47
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2011 :  22:15:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is the Sudazed issue of the album with the 4 bonus tracks in mono then?

it sounds mighty fine, terrific liner notes as well

I'm assuming the digipack from 2009 reprinted those as well as the bonus tracks were repeated from the Sundazed issue (I never opened the digipack import)

Also, Wow is out of print. Not sure about the status of Fine Citizen, but noone cared by that point and noones ever heard the album (up to and including me)

It would be a shame if Moby Grape 69 is out of print due to Katz's action, as that one I DO have and it is truly a superb album - I was never too impressed by Wow, and it seems to be the last album Skip played on with the original band
(until years later, when he played with the Melvilles)

wonder if they even tour under Moby Grape these days!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  19:08:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They finally won their name back and have toured. Jerry Miller plays here in Washington state a lot with his Band, but I've never gotten to see him.

As far as bonus tracks on the 2007 Sundazed album (link above)....Looper (Audition version) & Indifference (audition version) are in mono. Looper, Bitter Wind, & Sweet Ride (long version) are in stereo.

WOW! has some nice tracks with a couple of annoying tracks...it was really a pain to switch one track to 78 rpm on the stereo and the one with the Donald Duck voice.

But "Truly Fine CItizen" is VERY good and I'll find a link of them all here for Moby Grape lovers!

-Jim Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  19:23:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

They finally won their name back and have toured. Jerry Miller plays here in Washington state a lot with his Band, but I've never gotten to see him.

As far as bonus tracks on the 2007 Sundazed album (link above)....Looper (Audition version) & Indifference (audition version) are in mono. Looper, Bitter Wind, & Sweet Ride (long version) are in stereo.

WOW! has some nice tracks with a couple of annoying tracks...it was really a pain to switch one track to 78 rpm on the stereo and the one with the Donald Duck voice.

But "Truly Fine CItizen" is VERY good and I'll find a link of them all here for Moby Grape lovers!

I recommend finding Peter Lewis' 1993 solo album if you can or his Live In Bremen....brilliant and his story of how at a dinner with his MOM )Loretta Young) with a bunch of conservative actors, he he met Steve McQueen. Ms Young was scoping out the newest Hollywood sensation, but had no idea of his politics. Steve and Peter ended up in the back of the house smoking a joint and they wrote this Moby Grape song together....

Right Before My Eyes (from Truly Fine Citizen)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBfR0df1o5g

-Jim Dickinson

Edited by - lemonade kid on 11/12/2011 19:30:02
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  19:39:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Truly fine Citizen that was pulled in 2007 with bonus tracks.....

password is The Loner

http://freetexthost.com/44n4hzavtw

MOBY GRAPE 1967 MONO MIX password: record-fiend.blogspot.com

Scroll half way down for links...one needs to separate out the single links....it's easy though. mp3's or flacs, your choice it seems.

http://record-fiend.blogspot.com/2009/09/moby-grape-mono-version-columbia-1967.html

I HIGHLY recommend this MONO mix provided at the fine site-Record Fiend
IT IS FAR BETTER THAT THE STEREO MIX EVEN....I LOVE IT! EACH INSTRUMENT IS CLEAR UP FRONT, ALONG WITH THE VOCALS!

I hope you enjoy this, Torben...Happy Holidays!

-Jim Dickinson

Edited by - lemonade kid on 11/12/2011 20:02:36
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  20:59:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
do you like the Melvilles? I think they recorded Skips song "All my life" although I don't think Skip ever toured with the Grape after going after the engineer with an axe
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  22:49:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

do you like the Melvilles? I think they recorded Skips song "All my life" although I don't think Skip ever toured with the Grape after going after the engineer with an axe

HAVEN'T HEARD THE MELVILLES...I'LL CHECK THEM OUT. THANKS.

-Jim Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2011 :  23:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a d/l of the brilliant
MOBY GRAPE '69..this is the Sundazed 2007 withdrawn version with bonus tracks. From PHROCK Blog.

I like it as much as the s/t.

http://phrockblog15.blogspot.com/2010/01/moby-grape-1969-us-psychedelic-west.html

Have a listen to some fine tracks from it if you haven't had the pleasure.

A couple of my favorites....

It A Beautiful Day Today
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vviAimAmY38

I AM Not Willing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9QwZBQz7XY

If You Can't Learn From Your Mistakes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRzOnwSK4tE&feature=related

And this fine tune..."Ain't That A Shame"...some fantastic pix with this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNWbI3nIigU

-Jim Dickinson
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  18:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there was a time when the band couldn't tour under the name Moby Grape. probably applied to recording as well

I think there was a reunion with Skip recorded but it was only available on cassette

the bonus tracks on the 2007 Sundazed release suck by the way!

a shame the album is STILL not available (aside from on Katz's label, San Francisco Sound, which is sourced from vinyl I believe)
as its one of the few albums as good as Love's third album, or Abbey Road, or even Pink Moon!

(thankfully Joe Boyd saw that Nick Drake's back catalog never went out of print, and Island was a fan of his music also, thankfully)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page