New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  16:09:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I gave up waiting for the new edition of this legendary recording to be released over here. The US copy that arrived a few days ago has seen good service. And no wonder, it has been beautifully remastered by Sundazed and is presented in a very attractive digipack. It includes a highly informative essay from John Einarson as well as several photographs. I have two slight reservations. The portraits of Gene all date from the mid 60s rather than the 1970-72 period when the tracks were recorded. Also, the original vinyl album was a Netherlands only release that bore a rather striking motor-bike cover. I had been hoping that there might have been space for that somewhere within the package.

If you've never come across this record before, it would definitely repay your investment. All five original Byrds are heard on two superb tracks and the 1971 Flying Burrito Brothers on another. The remaining tracks all feature Clarence White and Michael Clarke. It is almost like a missing Byrds album.

Edited by - John9 on 02/12/2011 16:10:32

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  19:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I gave up waiting for the new edition of this legendary recording to be released over here. The US copy that arrived a few days ago has seen good service. And no wonder, it has been beautifully remastered by Sundazed and is presented in a very attractive digipack. It includes a highly informative essay from John Einarson as well as several photographs. I have two slight reservations. The portraits of Gene all date from the mid 60s rather than the 1970-72 period when the tracks were recorded. Also, the original vinyl album was a Netherlands only release that bore a rather striking motor-bike cover. I had been hoping that there might have been space for that somewhere within the package.

If you've never come across this record before, it would definitely repay your investment. All five original Byrds are heard on two superb tracks and the 1971 Flying Burrito Brothers on another. The remaining tracks all feature Clarence White and Michael Clarke. It is almost like a missing Byrds album.

Great album. Glad you finally got it, j9.

The only cover I know is this one.....the Sundazed has him standing beside his beloved auto. A favorite pic of mine.

The Sundazed cover is less fun but still cool.

It is noteworthy that Sundazed picked up the font used for his first LP with the Gosdin Bros.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 02/12/2011 19:32:22
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  20:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

LK - this link will take you to the original. I bought it at Virgin Records in Liverpool in late 1974....along with the just released No Other:

http://www.starclustermusic.de/artists/byrds/clark/disko/dpgc7201.htm

Edited by - John9 on 02/12/2011 20:44:24
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2011 :  21:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

LK - this link will take you to the original. I bought it at Virgin Records in Liverpool in late 1974....along with the just released No Other:

http://www.starclustermusic.de/artists/byrds/clark/disko/dpgc7201.htm

I had not seen the vinyl cover.....shocking at first, but cool!

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2011 :  04:37:17  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I enjoy my Edsel CD !
"Here Tonight"
"Full Circle Song" are my faves!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page