Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  00:22:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi LK - I think that the MMT LP was finally released over here in 1976. Parlophone initially did a straight copy of the Capitol release.......complete of course with the fake stereo! During the mid 80s the entire catalogue (including MMT) was remastered first for vinyl...and then for the 1987 release CD programme. It is interesting that for the recent and definitive CD series, MMT has been deservedly reassigned the Capitol label.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2011 :  00:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And the recent Mono box does justice with a really fine MONO mix of Magical Mystery Tour.

The exact repro mini CD gatefold & booklet is as close as I'll get to the UK vinyl EP....how large was that? 7"? And the mono CD has the Capitol label of course.

-Tom Waits

Edited by - lemonade kid on 22/10/2011 00:58:23
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2011 :  17:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That history on VJ was fabulous. They sure had the golden goose. And I'm going to say what would've happened to music and Beatle history if good ole George Martin wasn't around???
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  19:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ROLLING STONES LONDON vs DECCA
It seems opposite the Capitol/Parlophone debate. The US versions seem to get the better track lists and are called out as the best....even in topp 500 album lists, the US versions are the ones they specifically note.

The absence of "Satisfaction", "Spider & The Fly", & "Play With Fire" on the UK vinyl alone, make the US version, a hands down winner for me. And that US album cover photo is the coolest and my favorite in my collection...mine is mono! And we got the UK cover on another US album anyway!

But there were only 3 or 4 albums that were different between the London & Decca releases.

Recording and releases

Initially issued in July 1965 in America (featuring a shot from the same photo session that graced the cover of 12 X 5 and The Rolling Stones No. 2), Out of Our Heads was a mixture of recordings made over a six month period, including the Top 10 hit "The Last Time", the worldwide number 1 "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" as well as a track from the UK-only live EP Got LIVE if you want it!. Riding the wave of "Satisfaction"'s success, Out of Our Heads became The Rolling Stones' first US #1 album, eventually going platinum.

In 2003 the US edition was listed as number 114 on the List of Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time.

The British Out of Our Heads — with a different cover — added songs that would surface later in the US on December's Children (And Everybody's) and others that had not been released in the UK thus far (such as Heart Of Stone) instead of the already-released live track and recent hit singles (as singles rarely featured on albums in the UK in those times). Issued later that September, Out of Our Heads reached #2 in the UK charts behind The Beatles' Help!. It was The Rolling Stones' last UK album to rely upon R&B covers; the forthcoming Aftermath was entirely composed by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards.

In August 2002 both the US and UK editions of Out of Our Heads were reissued in a new remastered CD and SACD digipak by ABKCO Records.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

British track listing

Side one
No. Title Length
1. "She Said Yeah" (Sonny Bono/Roddy Jackson) 1:34
2. "Mercy, Mercy" (Don Covay/Ronnie Miller) 2:45
3. "Hitch Hike" (Marvin Gaye/Clarence Paul/Mickey Stevenson) 2:25
4. "That's How Strong My Love Is" (Roosevelt Jamison) 2:25
5. "Good Times" (Sam Cooke) 1:58
6. "Gotta Get Away" 2:06
Side two
No. Title Length
7. "Talkin' 'Bout You" (Chuck Berry) 2:31
8. "Cry to Me" (Bert Russell) 3:09
9. "Oh Baby (We Got a Good Thing Goin')" (Barbara Lynn Ozen) 2:08
10. "Heart of Stone" 2:50
11. "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" (Nanker Phelge) 3:07
12. "I'm Free" 2:24

American track listing

All songs written by Jagger/Richards, except where noted.
Side one
No. Title Length
1. "Mercy, Mercy" (Don Covay/Ronnie Miller) 2:45
2. "Hitch Hike" (Marvin Gaye/Clarence Paul/Mickey Stevenson) 2:25
3. "The Last Time" 3:41
4. "That's How Strong My Love Is" (Roosevelt Jamison) 2:25
5. "Good Times" (Sam Cooke) 1:58
6. "I'm Alright (Live)" 2:25
Side two
No. Title Length
7. "(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction" 3:42
8. "Cry to Me" (Bert Russell) 3:09
9. "The Under Assistant West Coast Promotion Man" (Nanker Phelge) 3:07
10. "Play with Fire" (Phelge) 2:13
11. "The Spider and the Fly" 3:39
12. "One More Try"

Personnel

* Mick Jagger – lead vocals, harmonica and percussion
* Keith Richards – electric and acoustic guitar, and backing vocals
* Brian Jones – electric and acoustic guitar, harmonica, organ, backing vocals
* Charlie Watts – drums and percussion
* Bill Wyman – bass guitar, backing vocals

Additional musicians

* Jack Nitzsche – organ, piano, and percussion
* Phil Spector – bass guitar on "Play with Fire"
* Ian Stewart – piano

-Tom Waits

Edited by - lemonade kid on 25/10/2011 22:22:58
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  21:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes, LK the Decca/London complexity makes The Beatles situation look like simplicity itself! I think you're right about the American albums being as least as authentic as the UK ones. And of course much of the recording was done in the USA. I would imagine that tracks were recorded without track by track sequences being in mind....possibly then the albums would be compiled according to market needs on either side of the Atlantic. Once again of course, the UK editions were usually without singles whilst in the States almost every A and B side appeared on one album or another. I can remember buying American Stones albums during the 80s simply to get hold of classic songs like Play With Fire.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2011 :  22:27:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Yes, LK the Decca/London complexity makes The Beatles situation look like simplicity itself! I think you're right about the American albums being as least as authentic as the UK ones. And of course much of the recording was done in the USA. I would imagine that tracks were recorded without track by track sequences being in mind....possibly then the albums would be compiled according to market needs on either side of the Atlantic. Once again of course, the UK editions were usually without singles whilst in the States almost every A and B side appeared on one album or another. I can remember buying American Stones albums during the 80s simply to get hold of classic songs like Play With Fire.

I think 'Play WIth Fire' is an all time favorite. I respect the UK industry for trying to give full value by not duplicating already released singles on albums, but since I was starting to buy albums more than singles by then, I expected to get full value by getting those hits on the albums...and we DID!!!

-Tom Waits
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page