Hair
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2011 :  16:20:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone here seen the entire production of "Hair",either the movie or play?I just bought a used vinyl copy of the original broadway cast show.Interesting period piece.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2011 :  16:48:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

Has anyone here seen the entire production of "Hair",either the movie or play?I just bought a used vinyl copy of the original broadway cast show.Interesting period piece.

Very young (Nam draftee) John Savage, & almost teenaged Treat Williams as a long haired hippie freak--peace & love...entertaining stuff...with a rather tragic twist at the end.

Starting with a draft card burning...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhbxI5eVnM4

Aquarius...John Savage's first encounter with the freaks.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9oq_IskRIg&feature=related

HAIR...long beautiful HAIR!! ( alittle different treatment than the Cowsills took to #!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dyl0j3WU6Y&feature=related

Edited by - lemonade kid on 31/08/2011 20:30:53
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2011 :  17:00:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

The Broadway musical would have been something to see...and "be-in"!!
Premiering in 1967..it was very controversial!

A product of the hippie counter-culture and sexual revolution of the 1960s, several of its songs became anthems of the anti-Vietnam War peace movement. The musical's profanity, its depiction of the use of illegal drugs, its treatment of sexuality, its irreverence for the American flag, and its nude scene caused much comment and controversy.[1] The musical broke new ground in musical theatre by defining the genre of "rock musical", using a racially integrated cast, and inviting the audience onstage for a "Be-In" finale.[2]

Edited by - lemonade kid on 31/08/2011 17:00:48
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2011 :  20:19:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
saw it in Central Park a few years back at the Delacorte theatre, where they hold Shakespeare in the Park. I think it was a one off, after the seasons I saw there of Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet the preceding years

This is before it was on Broadway again to such success

And yes I recognized how wonderful it was to see it in Central Park, where part of the film was (with the girl riding the horse & so forth
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  06:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I played guitar in the Shakespearian Fesival Production of Hair, way back in about 1975 at a big theater in Westbury LI (The Westbury Music Fair).
It was a pretty insane two weeks. Martha Plimpton's mother Shelley Plimpton was in it, and I offered her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich
backstage, and she asked me if it was spiked with acid!
That was back when they used to have Hair "tribes", which sometimes had actors who didn't have much talent, but they basically "lived" their parts 24 hours a day, so I think they were afraid to fire them!
One of the actors had some type of nervous condition, and he was always shaking on stage.
He had his mother in the audience the last night, and one of the other actors embarrassed him onstage, by saying something like "you're too screwed up to even be an actor!" and the guy ran off stage, crying!
The late, great blues/jazz guitarist Billy Butler was the other guitarist.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  10:33:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've never actually seen the stage production...though I note that it seems to be revived from time to time on both sides of the Atlantic. The film version I first saw upon its release in a little suburban cinema in West Berlin. Ironically, the venue was on a street that had the Wall at the end of it!

It was good to see my own city getting a namecheck in one of the songtitles....Manchester, England, England, Across the Atlantic Sea

For me though the most wonderful outcome from the musical was The 5th Dimension's joyous take on Aquarius.......and it became the theme song for a cutting edge and slightly daring arts programme over here on ITV in 1969:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0G8XJNz4bY

This of course is the studio reading - but I have a live version that is just as good - they were absolutely fantastic in concert.

Edited by - John9 on 01/09/2011 10:50:06
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2011 :  12:56:46  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw the 1968 production at The Aquarious Theater (previously Hullubaloo)on Sunset Blvd. I actualy remember bits of it!yes I was blazing.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page