Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Joe Morris
Old Love

3400 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2011 :  14:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1st information on the band was in Barney Hoskel's article in Mojo in the late 90s, though he clearly wasn't a fan of the late Elektra (Four Sail) and post Changes work
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  13:35:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The Good Humor Man He Sees Everything Like This"
-Running time: 3:00
-Recorded: August 11, 1967 Sunset Sound
-Written by: Arthur Lee
-Lead vocal: Arthur Lee
-Lead guitar: Johnny Echols
-Rhythm guitar: Bryan MacLean
-Bass: Kenny Forssi
-Drums: Michael Stuart
-The original title of this song was 'Hummingbirds'. It was cut acoustically and without any singing prior to the beginning of the official Forever Changes sessions, which would be approximately sometime in late spring/early summer 1967.
-According to Arthur he wrote this song on how he thought life should be in a beautiful and harmonious world while revisiting his old high school in Los Angeles, Dorsey High. In truth he saw school kids fighting over lunch money and other things but went with the mental image in his head anyway.
-The acoustic demo bears some similarity to the Buffalo Springfield song "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing". Both songs were early in their development and neither had been officially recorded; they seem to influence each other.
-Quotable: Johnny relates on how tough it was for the final version of this song to come to fruition:

"Hummingbirds would have been one of the first songs we did. All of us felt that the trickiest parts of the whole project, was playing to an imaginary orchestra, that had no music yet. There were no cues whatsoever. We weren't even certain Elektra was going to come through with the financing for the orchestra. In effect we had to leave room for other musicians, but not too much room, just in case they were a no show.

None of us had any idea what, or if those guys were going to play at all. Yet we were required to use a totally unforgiving strobe tuner after each song, to make sure we would be in tune with these imaginary musicians. We were essentially groping around in the dark, trying to do the best we could, with ever changing circumstances. Half the group was on the verge of mutiny, added to that, we had a recalcitrant, unreliable Record Company.... The whole thing could have self destructed at any point. Every time I listen to Forever Changes, I'm amazed we actually pulled it off."

-IMHO: The quirkiest song of Forever Changes, with lyrics that are almost too happy...or is it Arthur messing with everyone's head? The lyrics are counterbalanced by the somewhat foreboding strings that make the song album worthy. Also of note is Arthur's staccato vocal delivery in classic LoVE style and the staccato false ending. I believe Bruce Botnick, Paul Rothchild or both came up with that, which was the closest any song on the album came to having a 'gimmicky' element.

-Fun fact/Myth buster: Contrary to Jac Holzman's assertion, upon the band signing with Elektra in January 1966 Arthur did not take virtually all of the signing money ($5,000) and go and buy a gull wing Mercedes and give the rest of the band $100 each. In reality, all four members got equal shares, with Arthur getting Snoopy's share (they decided that since he was not a full time member of the band he would not get an equal share). Arthur gave Snoopy $100 out of his extra share. If my math is correct that means that Arthur got $1900, Snoopy $100, and Johnny, Bryan and Kenny $1000 each. Arthur then bought a vintage Mercedes for approximately $1100. This is hardly an example of Arthur ripping off the rest of the band and blowing the money entirely on a car.

-Update: From an interview in Big Takeover magazine from winter 2012, Michael believes the title of this song originated from the following. Between Da Capo and Forever Changes, Bryan took to wearing a plain white suit, somewhat akin to what Colonel Sanders wore. Arthur referred to it as Bryan's "Ice Cream Suit". Further, Arthur thought that Bryan's lyrics were too sunny and not right for the band. From this information Michael has inferred that the title to this song was a put down of Bryan and his song writing style.

Lyrics:
Hummingbirds hum, why do they hum, little girls wearing
Pigtails in the morning, in the morning

Merry-go-rounds are going around in and all over
The town in the morning, in the morning
La da da, da da da da

Summertime's here and look over there, flowers every-
Where in the morning, in the morning
La da da, da da da da

You Set The Scene

Edited by - underture on 06/12/2012 20:45:51
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3400 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  14:20:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the version of Hummingbirds on Last Wall of the Castle is a little different - think it has a spoken intro or something
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  13:36:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Bummer In The Summer"
-Running time: 2:20
-Recorded: August 12, 1967 Western Recorders Hollywood
-Piano: Don Randi
-I've always thought that the Buffalo Springfield song "Go And Say Goodbye" (recorded a year earlier) beared some similarity to this song, at least in the country twang feel to it.
-Johnny originally wanted to use a steel guitar for this song, but as he did not own one nor did the studio have one he played country licks on his regular guitar instead.
-Quotable: Michael gives his take on the band's stage prescence:

"Actually, Love was pretty much cut from the same cloth as most of the bands from the mid-sixties (visually speaking). The Animals, The Kinks, Them, The Byrds...the members of those groups were serious musicians, and they, for the most part while on stage, just stood there and did their job of playing music.

I guess Johnny maybe did a little dance in place once in a while, or Arthur would step back from the mic to play the tambourine, then step back up to sing or play the harmonica, but that was about it.

The early Stones were like that as well. There was none of that running around the stage and flapping one's elbows and swinging the microphone by the cord, and the other flamboyant visual silliness that Mick and the others, engaged in later on. I guess The Who must have been the first band to employ that schtick. I know...somebody might say, "What about Bill Haley and the Comets, or Chuck Berry and his duckwalk, or Jerry Lee Lewis playing the piano with his shoes?" Nevertheless...never cared for it much myself. If you're a musician, just play the music."

-IMHO: This is my least favorite song of the project. The lyrics aren't Arthur's finest and the rap/scat singing just seems out of place. The highlights are Johnny's country guitar solo in the middle and Don Randi's thundering piano interludes. But in the song's defense, it still has a bit of lyrical bite, the cadence is different from the other songs on the album and also the eleven other offerings from Forever Changes are so good and the bar was set so high that one had to be a bit below par, and this one is it.
-Fun Fact: She will never get the deserved credit for her work but it would be negligent not include Ronnie Haran in this series. Besides being the bands manager early on, she was at the epicenter for one of the greatest rock revolutions in history and helped bring to the forefront two of the best bands ever: LoVE and The Doors. Without her vision to see greatness in its nascent stages or her ability to hustle the right people at the right time these two might never have survived to fulfill their destiny of musical greatness. If you want to see her work just look at the back cover of Forever Changes.
-Lyrics:

Well I remember when you used to look so good
And I did everything that I possibly could for you
We used to ride around all over town
But they're puttin' you down for bein' around with me
But you can go ahead if you want to
'Cause I ain't got no papers on you

In the middle of the summer I had a job bein' a plumber
Just to pass till the fall it was you I wanna ball all day
Ah-we were walkin' along, honey, hand in hand
I'm a-thinkin' of you, mama, when you're thinkin' of another man
'Cause I ain't got no papers on you
No, I don't I ain't got no papers on myself

All alone on the bone when I didn't have a home
When I saw the way I was and I knew where I was supposed to be
I was twitchin' so I turned and it's really hard to learn
That everyone I saw was just another part of me
'Cause nobody's got no papers on you
No, babe, it's just a falsehood

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3400 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2011 :  15:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
likened to "Like a rolling stone" by Hoskin, this is probably the weakest song on Forever Changes, which is saying something

Still a great song. Short and sweet
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  03:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"You Set The Scene"
-Running time: 6:49
-Recorded: August 12, 1967 Western Recorders Hollywood
-This song was not written in its finished form as a coherent, complete entity unto itself. Rather Kenny Forssi took fragments from unfinished songs that Arthur had written, worked on them himself, and helped create maybe the greatest song in the band's catalogue.
-Arthur had originally intended to have a 'rap' section at the very end, an influence that a group called The Young Poets had on him. It was edited out of the album version but restored for the Deluxe edition.
-Johnny admits that this was a most difficult song for him to play. He intended to finger pick the beginning of the song, was unable, and resorted to picking it. He struggled to keep the rhythm but ultimately succeeded.
-Quotable: Kenny Forssi (as said previously) was a big factor in the creation of the recorded version of this song, welding orphaned songs into one. Johnny says this about it:

"Those songs, were like several we began, that didn't go anywhere. Without someone, (in this case Kenny Forssi) working on them, they would have gone nowhere. Kenny didn't write any of them, he just combined, or arranged songs Arthur had started. I always maintained he should have received some kind of recognition, but for whatever reason, he chose not to pursue it. Music is a cut-throat business, if you don't demand what you believe is yours, you have no one to blame, except the man in the mirror."

-IMHO: While I have always found the general held belief that 'Alone Again Or' as the only way to open Forever Changes to be somewhat exagerrated, another running order tenet that this song should close the album is absolutely and firmly a must. I cannot possibly see Forever Changes ending with another song.
-IMHO pt. 2: Elektra management's decision to leave off the 'rap' ending on the original album was a wise one. The string/horn ride out of the song is beauty to the ears and to have that part talked over is clumsy and ruins the majesty of the very end.
-Fun fact: The band essentially used only two recording venues for their albums, Sunset Sound and Western Recorders. During one of these times they had a meeting with another famous person in the music business. Michael continues:

"Side One of Da Capo was recorded at RCA, studio "B" with Dave Hassinger, and Side two, at Sunset Sound with Bruce Botnick under relaxed but business-like circumstances.

All of Forever Changes was recorded at Sunset Sound, as well, under circumstances that could only be described as "uptightly business-like".

We recorded something at Western Recorders on Sunset with John Haeny, but I forget what. I thought it was "Laughing Stock " and "Your Mind and We..." but the little book that came with Rhino's "Love Story" compilation says those two songs were done at Sunset Sound also, so I don't know...maybe we did something else at Western that never made it onto an album, like "Hummingbirds."

The main thing I remember about Western, is us all sitting in the small lobby out front running over a song with acoustic instruments, and Bryan got up to get a drink and just at that moment Mama Cass came walking through the lobby and looked at Bryan while he was standing at the Coke machine and made a yummy sound and licked her lips and grossed us all out. He was like...violated before our very eyes."

-Lyrics:

Where are you walking, I've seen you walking
Have you been there before?
Walk down your doorsteps, you'll take some more steps
What did you take them for?

There's a private in my boat and he wears
*Fears instead of medals on his coat
There's a chicken in my nest and she won't
Lay until I've given her my best

At her request she asks for nothing
You get nothing in return
If you want she brings you water
If you don't then you will burn

You go through changes, it may seem strange
Is this what you're put here for?
You think you're happy and you are happy
That's what you're happy for

There's a man who can't decide if he should
Fight for what his father thinks is right
There are people wearing frowns who'll screw you up
But they would rather screw you down

At my request I ask for nothing
You get nothing in return
If you're nice she'll bring me water
If you're not then I will burn

This is the time and life that I am living
And I'll face each day with a smile
For the time that I've been given's such a little while
And the things that I must do consist of more than style
There are places that I am going/
There'll be time for you to start all over

This is the only thing that I am sure of
And that's all that lives is gonna die
And there'll always be some people here to wonder why
And for every happy hello, there will be good-bye
There'll be time for you to put yourself on

Everything I've seen needs rearranging
And for anyone who thinks it's strange
Then you should be the first to want to make this change
And for everyone who thinks that life is just a game
Do you like the part you're playing?

I see your picture
It's in the same old frame
We meet again

You look so lovely
You with the same old smile
Stay for a while

I need you so, oh, oh, oh, oh
And if you take it easy
I'm still teethin'
I wanna love you, but
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh

This is the time and this is the time and
It is time, time, time, time, time, time, time, time, time...

Update:

*After consideration "Fears" is the wording I hear. Some may be of the opinion that the lyric is "Pins", you decide which is correct.

You Set The Scene

Edited by - underture on 02/04/2012 03:27:53
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3400 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2011 :  04:44:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
originally titled You Do Set The Scene
at least on the tape boxes!

as Arthur put it about the title You Set the Scene:

about the scene here on the planet

Probably the best song on the album, if not the entire world!

Although Alone again or, Maybe the people would be the times or between Clark and Hilldale, The Daily Planet, A house is not a motel, The Red Telephone, Live and let live are also the best songs on the album!
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  12:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Wonder People (I Do Wonder)"
From: Forever Changes, Expanded Edition (2001), Deluxe Edition (2008)
-Running time: 3:15
-Recorded: August 11, 1967 Western Recorders Hollywood
-This song was recorded during the Forever Changes sessions but ultimately not included on the original album. Another great song from the band that I believe is due more respect than to be just considered an album filler. I am unsure as to why it was excluded. Perhaps space issues, or maybe it was too bright compared to the rest of the album's dark themes, it is unsure. Ultimately it was Jac Holzman's decision to leave it off.
-This song is very different from Arthur's mindset at the time of the genesis of this album. I have to wonder what his motivation was for its lyrics. For some reason The Turtle's song "Happy Together" seems to stand out as a possible influence to me. Perhaps it was on the radio the day Arthur wrote it?
-Arthur redid this song for his Arthur Lee album in 1977 under the title "I Do Wonder". At that time it was a 'new' song as the Forever Changes version had not officially been released. Additionally he put out a song on the "Out Here" album(s) called 'I Still Wonder' which might be construed as a follow up to (then) unheard song.
-Quotable: Johnny gives his opinion and experiences with another great guitarist you might have heard of, Jimi Hendrix:

"Jimi was definitely influenced by Arthur's style of dress. The last time either of us saw him, before he became "The Jimi Hendrix." He was dressed like an old school R&B musician, ie. slicked down processed hair, and tight fitting suits. When we saw him at the Whiskey, he was dressed slightly hipper. It was only after visiting Arthur, and hanging with the group, that he began dressing really far-out, and he took it to a whole other level....

..... Both Arthur, and I would hang out together with Jimi, but he was more of a friend of Arthur's than mine. I wasn't all that impressed with him back then. He was always out of tune. From my perspective, he was more of a frustrated bass player than a guitarist. Though we did show each other a few chords. We never really traded any guitar licks. When we jammed together, Jimi just seemed rather predictable and way too loud. No dynamic range, just full out loud. Anyway if a lead guitar player didn't believe he could blow the other dude off the stage, he should put his axe away, and find another gig."

-Myth buster: The CD liner notes for the 'Four Sail' expanded version stated that had Arthur not got into his legal dilemma that the way was clear for a true LoVE reunion in the mid-90's. Michael quashes that theory:

"But actually after the year 1972 I wouldn't have been invited to participate in any Love reunion anyway, because that's when Tjay and I sued Arthur for past due royalties and won, so Arthur's not the kind to forgive and forget.

That's alright... I wouldn't have accepted the invitation anyway, even if I had been invited... and to prove it, I didn't accept (Arthur's manager) Gene Kraut's invitation to play Royal Festival Hall (the opening concert of the Forever Changes tour when Arthur got out of prison in what...2001?)"

-IMHO: If you are a completist then you probably want to get both expanded and deluxe versions of this CD. This song is subtly different on both versions, mainly in the vocals. The deluxe version is superior, with better background vocals and an echo-laden ending which is unique and adds nicely to this song.
-Fun fact: Birth places for members of LoVE: Memphis TN (Arthur and Johnny), Los Angeles (Bryan), Cleveland OH (Kenny), Switzerland (Snoopy), Texarkana AR (Michael), Compton CA (Tjay).

-Lyrics:

Stars are in the sky and,
I do wonder yeah,
Wonder who am I and,
Oh I do, ooh,
But I know it's true,
Just like I know you,
And if you realize,
The things you are hearing,
I am hearing,
La la la la la.

Birds are in the sky and,
I do wonder yeah,
Wonder why they fly and,
Oh I do, ooh.
But I know it's true,
Just like I know you,
And if you realize,
The things you are seeing,
I am seeing,
La la la la la.

Love you,
Love you,
I do love you yeah,
Love you,
Love you, aah,
Aah,
La la la la la.

People come and go and,
I do wonder yeah,
Wander to and fro,
Like you do, ooh,
And you know it's true,
Just like I know you,
When will you realize,
The things you are doing;
I am doing,
La la la la la.

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
779 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2011 :  23:28:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can easily see why this was excluded from FC. Its bright, bubbly,
light, happy and also very good. Nothing dark, eerie, heavy, sinister here. I think the Rockettes could dance to this, kicking their legs out to the beat.
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2011 :  03:03:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Your Mind And We Belong Together"
-Running time: 4:15
-Recorded: January 30 and 31, 1968 Sunset Sound
-This is the last material recorded by the band, released as a single in June 1968. It failed to make a dent nationally.
-This song is a great amalgam of all three of the previous albums. It has the weird twists and lyrics of Forever Changes, the jazz/solo/improv feel of Da Capo via Johnny's solo at the end, and the straight forward rock of the debut album in so far as no strings, horns, keyboards or wind instruments.
-Engineered by John Haeny, who had replaced Bruce Botnick. Botnick was angry with Arthur at the completion of the Forever Changes sessions and would not work with LoVE for these sessions.
-The song came together rather quickly in the studio in rehearsal, but once they set to recording it over forty takes were needed.
-The band made a strange film for this song, their only one. It is a fascinating document on the band in 1968, with glimpes of each member, Arthur's 'The Trip' house, his dog and bird collection. It is somewhat amatuerish, akin to The Doors "Unknown Soldier" film that they made around the same time. An unpleasant aspect of it was towards the end when Bryan, ever the prankster, was goofing around too much for Arthur's sake by making faces. Arthur claimed that had he seen that he would have booted Bryan out of the band right then. Regardless, it is a must see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVaXdnozsL4

-Another great band document is the tracking session version of this song on the expanded and deluxe Forever Changes CD. From false starts to goofs to mishaps it is captured live and gives the listener a brief glimpse into the band's creative process. But most of all Arthur's banter is a great vantage point from which to see LoVE in all its glory. It is almost hilarious after a good take and blistering guitar solo from Johnny that Arthur still complained about the band's performance.

-Quotable: Michael gives his take on the developing band schism after the completion of this single in '68, which may be the most honest and devasting statement on the demise of LoVE:

"I think we were all temporarily energized and encouraged by the results we got on the "Your Mind..." session and maybe collectively we were even subconsciously inventing an unrealistically optimistic future for ourselves, wherein we toured and added more songs to make a new album and you know..rebirthed our mojo... but I think also (considering the lack of communication we had known in the previous months) deep down, each of us knew that it was just as likely we were nearing the end."

-IMHO: This is the last single and several thoughts stand out.
1) After a 5 month layoff from the studio and only intermittant live appearances, the band has not only not lost a step, but arguably made the best music of their career. Freed from the constraints of the forced subtly of Forever Changes, the band is allowed to really stretch out and play hard and fast; they never rocked better, save for '7 and 7 Is'.
2) A sense of frustration comes from this song because it is so good. If things would have worked out and they stayed together, I really believe the band had alot more great music they would have produced, perhaps at least 3 or 4 more albums worth. But it was not to be and it is a great loss that they never made music together anymore.
3) This is the apex of Arthur's artistic career. He made some very good music after this, but never as good as this.

-Myth buster: This single is thought by some to be part of a secret unreleased fourth LoVe album named Gethsemane; this is patently untrue. Other than this single and some other songs that the band had roughly worked on but had not come close to recording, there is no missing Gethsemane album. This single concludes the original material produced by the band.
-Fun fact: If you've got $300 in your pocket with nothing to do you might come into possesion of maybe the rarest of LoVE's mementos. This rare pressing of "Your Mind And We Belong Together" ranks up there with the missing pre-Elektra tapes and the broken flower pot from the Forever Changes back cover photo.
http://redredwineonasunday.blogspot.com/2011/03/ebay-rock-45s-31111.html

Lyrics:

I'd like to understand just why
I feel like I have been through hell
But you tell me I haven't even started yet
To live here you've got to give more than you get
That I know
But they said it's all right

I'd like to understand today
Then maybe I would know who I was
When I was when it was yesterday
The seasons and the reasons are on display
And I know
Oh... Oh........... Oh...........

So many people
They just seem to clutter up my mind
And if it's mine throw it away
Throw it again once for my girl...friend

So many voices
Don't let them stop between my ears
But it appears that there they are
Though they are wrong ten thousand strong, oh, yeah

I'm lockin' my heart in the closet
I don't need anyone, oh no no no
You find me behind the door
And all of the far-out faces
From long ago, I can't erase this
All right

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  00:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Laughing Stock"
-Running time: 2:27
-Recorded: January 30 and 31, 1968 Sunset Sound

-The title of the song came from the fact that Arthur and Johnny, after smoking some herb prior to recording, could not stop laughing to get a usuable take of the song until after an hour or so.
-This song was essentially created in the studio. Bryan started off playing some random notes, to be joined in by Kenny, Michael and Johnny until a groove was established. During this time Arthur improvised some lyrics and the song was born.
-Alpha/Omega: In the last single Arthur references the first single in the lyrics. Clairvoyant or no?
-In a symbolic way this song is an allegory for the bands demise. Listen towards the end of the song as the rhythm breaks down and the music ends in discord and then sort of fades away abruptly. Along with the self reference to 'Little Red Book' this is an eerie preview for the band's fate in 1968.
-The 'Fred' in the beginning dirge/chant of this song is no one in particular. The name was choosen probably because it rhymed with bed.
-Myth buster: Jim Morrison did not sing background vocals on this song as been bandied about.
-Fun fact/Quotable: Arthur was a man of great abilities but he also had his deficiencies at times. If you are fortunate enough to own a 1970's LP copy of Forever Changes you will have proof of one of his more petty ones. Some copies of the record printed from this time neglect to list Michael as the drummer for the album. Michael explains why:

"I've seen copies of that particular Forever Changes. I don't know for certain (the reason that edition eliminated me from the credits), but considering the timeline, I can use a little deductive reasoning and come up with a pretty good guess.

It came out (I believe) in the early-to-mid-seventies, which was right around the time Tjay and I took Arthur to court and won a settlement for past-due royalties. Could be Arthur was miffed. He hated to lose.

Why didn't the other guys join in the suit? I wasn't able to find Johnny or Bryan and Kenny wasn't interested.

Strange isn't it, that we (yes, I've done it too) sometimes feel the need to conjure up an explanation for Arthur's occasional forays into the unexplainable by characterizing it simply as Arthur just being Arthur?

So why do we do it? Because we want to like the whole Arthur. He gave us so much joy and pleasure, his insight was so gargantuan, and his talent so profound, we don't want to think he could do something selfish, or arrogant or mean. Besides, it doesn't make any sense does it? How can the two opposing entities coexist so peacefully in the same human being?

You know...I hear Einstein was a lousy cook. Seriously. Couldn't bake a potato."

-IMHO: Even though this song is the B side to the single, it is in no way or shape a 'filler'. Although only roughly two minutes in length, it is almost like three songs in one: the beginning chant, 180 degree turn into straight rocker, then fade to dissolution. Very much a total band effort all around, it is LoVE at it's musical and mystical best.
- A quick coda on the band members after this single was issued.
Arthur: Continued to make music either solo or with other incarnations of LoVE despite personal and legal issues. Died August 2, 2006 in Memphis TN due to acute myeloid leukemia.
Johnny: Left the world of pop music after LoVE but continued to teach music and do some studio work in New York and Arizona. Still plays occaisionally around the LA area with other LoVE associated members.
Bryan: Became a reborn Christian in the 70's and made music in that vein. He had really turned his life around before he unexpectedly died December 25, 1998 of a heart attack while giving an interview about LoVE in LA.
Kenny: Most tragic of all members, Kenny went through bad addictions and never really got his life back on track after leaving LoVE. Died January 10, 1998 of brain cancer in Tallahassee FL.
Michael: Continued to work in the music business drumming immediately after LoVE. After that he has led a quiet life but continues to drum and wrote Pegasus Carousel, the only insider account about the group.
Tjay: I must admit I know nothing of his life after Da Capo. I would assume he continued to make his living off of music, beyond that I can confirm nothing. I do not know if he is still alive. I have read where he supposedly died of AIDS from an infected needle. Once again, none of this can be verified so please do not take it as fact. If anyone can help me on this, please do so.
Snoopy: Was involved in music on the fringes after LoVE, but nothing of note. He is still alive and living in his own unique way in Washington state.

Lyrics:

Here we are
Our hands are all untied
We’d rather walk than ride
Then ride and ride and ride, ride, ride
Ride and ride and ride
There you stand
Your eyes are in your head
You should have stayed in bed
Oh, Fred in bed and ride, ride, ride
Fred in bed and ride

I keep on tellin’ myself
Everything is gonna change
Then I find someone to blame
And the people that I see won’t bother me

I keep on hidin’ myself
Away from everything
But I think if it should rain
I guess I wanna be where it don't fall on me

I keep on playin’ my drums hey!
I keep on singin’ my songs,
I just got out my little red
I keep on doin’ all the
Things I shouldn’t have to do

I keep on buildin’ my hopes
And you keep tearin’ them down
What is this foolin’ around
Are we supposed to be like history

I keep on playin’ my drums, drums
I keep on singin’ my songs, oh, yeah
I keep on doin’ all the things that I shouldn’t have to do

-The Final Word: Only one proper way to end this series. Arthur Lee: "Love on earth must be".

You Set The Scene

Edited by - underture on 05/01/2012 15:57:12
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9450 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  01:56:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, John. Such a great song and nice writeup up!!

Thanks so much for this great thread!! Hard but enjoyable work!!

I'm just dead, I'm not gone.
-Jim Dickinson

Edited by - lemonade kid on 30/12/2011 01:57:52
Go to Top of Page

Bob Weir
First Love

6 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  11:37:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Work! However, my impression is that the lyrics to Laughing Stock is definitely not "What a thing to fix your brain", but rather "But I think if it should rain, I guess I wanna be where it don't fall on me" which makes more sense and suits the rest of the lyrics much better.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2113 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2011 :  12:14:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree that I Do Wonder would have been out of place on the original Forever Changes - but on the other hand, it was far too good just to leave in the can - especially when you consider how the song's own sequel went on to appear on Out Here. Just think what we would have given back in the early 70s for a lost composition from Love's golden era. I remember going into raptures when Laughing Stock became available on John Tobler's Love Masters Elektra compilation in 73/74.

Your Mind and We to my mind combines Arthur's finest ever vocal performance with Johnny's greatest guitar piece...it is an absolutely magnificent piece of music.

Underture - like LK, I would like to offer my thanks for some highly enjoyable reading. I am intrigued though as to the provenance of what you write. It sounds as though you were especially close to the band.

Edited by - John9 on 30/12/2011 13:15:07
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

479 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2011 :  01:53:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I agree that I Do Wonder would have been out of place on the original Forever Changes - but on the other hand, it was far too good just to leave in the can - especially when you consider how the song's own sequel went on to appear on Out Here. Just think what we would have given back in the early 70s for a lost composition from Love's golden era. I remember going into raptures when Laughing Stock became available on John Tobler's Love Masters Elektra compilation in 73/74.

Your Mind and We to my mind combines Arthur's finest ever vocal performance with Johnny's greatest guitar piece...it is an absolutely magnificent piece of music.

Underture - like LK, I would like to offer my thanks for some highly enjoyable reading. I am intrigued though as to the provenance of what you write. It sounds as though you were especially close to the band.

Thanks Scott and John9. I greatly treasure the compliments. I wish I was close to the band, but alas I am in no way "in" with the band. I am simply a fan of the band and a would be writer with no formal outlet. Thanks to you all for tolerating my indulgence with this project. Cheers to all.

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page