New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  21:09:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the forefront of the folkies that kept the music going when most of the NYC/Greenwich/Cambridge folkies had either given up or gone electric.

Such fine talents....share your favorites and memories....listening to Sounds Of Silence in the dark was like no other trip imagined.

I would like to share a rare treat...a soundboard recording from a
1966 live Baltimore concert. Really very rare to find a soundboard-like recording from such early Simon & Garfunkel.

http://gratefulbreed.blogspot.com/2011/02/simon-and-garfunkel-live-in-baltimore.html

Simon and Garfunkel - Live in Baltimore 1966
Shriver Auditorium
Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, MD
10/21/1966
SBD (?), FLAC

01. A Hazy Shade Of Winter
02. Cloudy
03. Teenage Moron
04. Benedictus
05. Blessed
06. A Poem On The Underground Wall
07. I Am A Rock
08. Anji
09. The Sound Of Silence
10. Sparrow
11. For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her
12. A Church Is Burning

This bit of info about Sounds of Silence....

On June 15, 1965, immediately after the recording session of Bob Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone," Wilson took the original acoustically instrumented track of Simon & Garfunkel's 1964 version, The Sounds Of Silence, and overdubbed the recording with electric guitar (played by Al Gorgoni), electric bass (Bob Bushnell), and drums (Bobby Gregg), and released it as a single without consulting Simon or Garfunkel. The lack of consultation with Simon and Garfunkel on Wilson's re-mix was because, although still contracted to Columbia Records at the time, the musical duo at that time was no longer a "working entity".[3][9] Roy Halee was the recording engineer, who in spirit with the success of The Byrds and their success formula in folk rock, introduced an echo chamber effect into the song.[3] Al Gorgoni later would reflect that this echo effect worked well on the finished recording, but would dislike the electric guitar work they technically superimposed on the original acoustic piece.

The Sound(s) Of Silence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvsX03LOMhI

while I sing this song.
But if one day you should see me from your cloud
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 08/06/2011 21:10:16

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  21:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So lk then when SOS was first recorded it was all acoustic? Any recordings on that take?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  22:23:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

So lk then when SOS was first recorded it was all acoustic? Any recordings on that take?

Yes. It was released on their first LP...Wednesday Morning 3 AM
in 1964.

Here it is...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jqn9SKYAgY&feature=related

while I sing this song.
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  14:24:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's real good.. (I didn't have the record)...I have to say I'm kind of partial to the electric guitar for the song. Do you know what S&G preferred?
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  15:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a very old vinyl copy of "Parseley,Sage,Rosemary,and Thyme" which boasts at least ONE song I very much wish I had written,"The Dangling Conversation".Simon indeed has shown in various ways over the last 45 years that he does possess an expressive gift only equalled or surpassed by only the very upper eschelon of his chosen profession.I'm always impressed with what he's been able to do with melodic structure as well as his penchant for celebrating the wonderfulness of appropriately engineered rhythmic arrangements.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  19:46:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's real good.. (I didn't have the record)...I have to say I'm kind of partial to the electric guitar for the song. Do you know what S&G preferred?

rocker...it got S&G back together again...so the reaction was positive it would seem.

...Simon learned that it had entered the charts minutes before he went on stage to perform at a club in Copenhagen, and in the later fall of 1965 he returned to the U.S. By the end of 1965 and the first few weeks of 1966, the song reached number one on the U.S. charts. Simon and Garfunkel then reunited as a musical act, and included the song as the title track of their next album, Sounds of Silence, hastily recorded in December 1965 and released in January 1966 to capitalize on their success. The song propelled them to stardom and, together with two other top-five (in the U.S.) hits in the summer of 1966, "I Am a Rock" and "Homeward Bound," ensured the duo's fame. In 1999, BMI named "The Sound of Silence" as the 18th-most performed song of the 20th century.[11] In 2004, it was ranked #156 on Rolling Stone's list of the 500 Greatest Songs of All Time, one of the duo's three songs on the list.

On the duo's 1968 album Bookends, the track "Save the Life of My Child" features a distorted sample of Art Garfunkel's "Hello darkness my old friend, I've come to talk with you" line from the original recording of "The Sound Of Silence")....

Paul Simon began working on the song sometime after the Kennedy assassination. He had made progress on the music but had yet to get down the lyrics. On 19 February 1964, the lyrics coalesced, as Simon recalled: "The main thing about playing the guitar, though, was that I was able to sit by myself and play and dream. And I was always happy doing that. I used to go off in the bathroom, because the bathroom had tiles, so it was a slight echo chamber. I'd turn on the faucet so that water would run — I like that sound, it's very soothing to me — and I'd play. In the dark. 'Hello darkness, my old friend / I've come to talk with you again'."[5]

....Simon showed the new composition to Garfunkel the same day, and shortly afterward, the duo began to perform it at folk clubs in New York. In the liner notes of their debut album, Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M., Garfunkel claims, "'The Sound of Silence' is a major work. We were looking for a song on a larger scale, but this is more than either of us expected."
-wiki

Here is a wonderful acoustic version...live ....back in the day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZGWQauQOAQ

Eight million plus views...so yeah...relevant today still.

while I sing this song.
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/06/2011 19:46:59
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  21:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh yeah..did you happen to read that first comment below the vid????..whoa...it hits the spot..
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  21:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

oh yeah..did you happen to read that first comment below the vid????..whoa...it hits the spot..

Yep, it's right on!

while I sing this song.
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  07:33:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonderful, thanks for the reminder.
They came to my college in (I think) 1968 and played the field house. I sat in the nosebleed seats and still, they were overwhelming.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page