Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  18:51:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old news to most here but I enjoy it, and never get tired of this kind of stuff....

It has been related that when the Stones where in LA recording "Aftermath", they saw LoVE. The "revelation" they experienced was profound it seems.

The Stones went on to record their longest track to date & to later record their wonderful "She's A Rainbow"....the similarities are too striking to be chance...but Arthur's original will always be my favorite....though the only similarity is lyrically, not in the tunes.

She Comes In Colors...more psychedelic and deeper and darker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMepqPsyIvo

She's A Rainbow....more flower power peace & love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2RXKvkvH_k&feature=related

"Da Capo would yield the wonderful song "She Comes In Colors" which was later co-oped by The Rolling Stones for the song "She's A Rainbow". Arthur would never forget it...."

AFTERMATH-
The album proved to be a major artistic breakthrough for The Rolling Stones, being the first full-length release by the band to consist exclusively of Mick Jagger/Keith Richards compositions.....

(hmmmm. maybe seeing Love had some effect on that revelation--I just cannot resist....sorry, that's the last pun-- & breakthrough?)

Aftermath was also the first Rolling Stones album to be recorded entirely in the United States, at the legendary RCA Studios in Hollywood, California at 6363 Sunset Boulevard, and the first album the band released in stereo.

Arthur Lee on Revelation and The Stones....

The song "Revelation" was a long jam we did so the musicians could express themselves. The Rolling Stones saw us play at the Brave New World, and they recorded a long song on their next album. After our album came out, I got the blame for copying THEM!

The album's critical reputation has suffered as a result of the inclusion of this track, and many blame producer Paul Rothchild for failing to capture the group's live energy and truncating their performance. It is interesting to note, though, that in a contemporary review of the album (1967), critic Robert Christgau praised "Revelation" faintly for its "excellent guitar and harmonica work and great screaming by a lead singer (I don't know his name; the new style in record jackets is to reveal nothing)".

I love Arthur's song-"She Comes In Colors"...is that your favorite also...or is there a miscreant among us who likes the Stone's song better?!!

while I sing this song.
But if one day you should see me from your cloud
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 07/06/2011 19:01:47

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  19:27:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
of course Love nicked What a Shame for their first album's Can't Explain, but whos counting?!
Go to Top of Page

stewart
Old Love

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  20:26:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember the NME' the Alley Cat 'tail-pieces' column c 1967 announcing that the Stones were releasing a cover of Love's She comes in colors and being disappointed when it turned out to be untrue
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  21:06:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank Christ they didn't cover Revelation instead!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  14:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and speaking of covers I've always thought VU should've done She Comes in Colors....and of course the Stones picked up on the band.. they knew the writing and arrangements were soooooo good...
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  12:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lol Joe..coulda been the end of the stones career...i gotta say though when i saw Baby Lemonade do "Revelations" with Johnny Echols in London it was awesome!
i realy like ,em both....i kinda heard "like a rainbow" when i was a kid as my older brother had Aftermath.
"PAINT IT bLACK" as another early stones song i heard..
To me ..i like both songs..one very west coast Psychedelica, and the Stones one is very enjoyable as a Stones somg.
Velvet Underground covering a LOVE song? that woulda been something eh?
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  13:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comes in colors everywhere
she combs her hair

I think the Australian VU tribute did She Comes in Colors, don't know if the VU covered Love. Only other band from that period I know doing Love covers is the Move
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  15:36:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"She's a Rainbow" is alright,but sounds a bit contrived and therefore considerably much less awe inspired adn inspirING.With "Majesties' Request" the Stones wer obviously not at their true creative best and were merely pandering to the then recent converts to psychedelia.I get the feeling listening to it that even as they were conceptualizing the project,their atitude may have been something like "Oh well,the Beatles have gone and done "Sgt. Pepper" so I guess WE have to respond to it with SOMETHING"."Colors" on the other hand is a remarkable foray into the potential extasies of romanticism as portle into Leee's seemingly boundless imaginations."Rainbow" almost sounds as though it were almost hastily conjured after hours of unsuccessful attempts at knocking off SOMETHING,ANYTHING that could fit ANYWHERE into the psychedelic mold just for the sake of people pleasing."2000 Light Years From Home" strikes me in a similar vain,but at least the sonic background provides SOME degree of flavorful depth.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  19:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keef thought they were at a low creative point...but I love it....we should all be so good at our LOW POINT!!

while I sing this song.
But if one day you should see me from your cloud
lend a hand and lift me
Away from the crowd.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  01:12:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
certainly his book is entertaining, especially when hes having a go at Jagger!
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  14:36:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I have to admit I was kind of skeptical about keef's work. I figured it probably wasn't going to be any good. But when I read the last page and set it down I said this was a great read. I really enjoyed reading about his successful career and wild wild life. keef and I are certainly two greatly different individuals and we sure don't agree on things but I have to say I'd love to sit down with him with a pint (and some bangers and mash!) and have a nice chat. From the looks of it, keef wouldn't do anything over if he had the chance!
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  15:28:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Strongly agree that even at a creative low ,the Stones were still reasonably sufficiently satisfying.Kind of like when John Lennon claims he knocked off the Beatles' obscure piece "Run For Your Life" just to complete "Rubber Soul" and he always considered it rubbish!Brother,that's some pretty sweet,catchy rubbish!But that's how great the greats are.Look at the Led Zeppelin catalog."In through the Out Door" is widely considered their worst album barring the "Coda" album of previously unrealeased material.Even as mediocre as it is by Zep's supercedingly high standards,it nonetheless boasts at least two classic rock radio staples in "All Of My Love" and "Fool in the Rain".And lets not forget the lp's might opener "In the Evening" and the rather enthralling "Carouselambra".
Go to Top of Page

underture
Fifth Love

482 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  15:30:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the most unpleasant aspect of Satanic Majesties is the fact that Brian Jones was right in that it wasn't the type of music that the Stones should be playing, but that didn't change his status in the band as Jagger/Richards weren't about to let him have any say in what songs were used in the future. At least they knew enough to go back to the blues roots that made them the great band they were.

You Set The Scene
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2011 :  15:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my opinion,many aspiring writers both then and now labored and ARE laboring under the tragic misconception that only musical tomes created under the influence of mood altering substances could possibly be employeed as means of any REAL expression of self.The Rolling Stones,Cream,Who,and Led Zeppelin particualrly with their freshman release all provide in their catlogs mega-ample evidence that ANY artistic conveyance can be exceedinlgy efficient both PROvocatively and E-vocatively.Even the most stripped down forms of early American black blues can arouse the deepest passions of a listener to the same degree as ANY of the very best psychedelic efforts.And for that matter,so can't some of the more intrinsically spiritual recordings in the fields of country,soul,and jazz.Anything really.As long it is delivered in a cerebrally fruitful manner.

Edited by - captain america and billy on 10/06/2011 15:42:11
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2011 :  21:59:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the most unpleasant aspect of Satanic Majesties is the fact that Brian Jones was right in that it wasn't the type of music that the Stones should be playing, but that didn't change his status in the band as Jagger/Richards weren't about to let him have any say in what songs were used in the future.

Yeah something sure went on there. Brian had talent. Wesn't the Stones "his" band??? Something happened. Not sure if he got intimidated by his band mates but I wasn't there.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2011 :  01:27:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The audio book of Keef's Life is a hoot, with Johnny Depp and Keith himself reading

Uproarious stuff. Audio Book of the year (well, until they release Woody Allen's reading of his books Side Effects, WIthout Feathers, Mere anarchy, etc sees release to cd rather than just to Audible.com!)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page