Black Beauty Track Listing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  18:06:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
all right, Beep Beep is a major nuisance, but listening to these in decent sound should be of interest:

track listing
Good & Evil (Young & Able)
Midnight Sun
Can’t Find It
Walk Right In
Skid
Beep Beep
Stay Away
Lonely Pigs
See Myself In You
Product of the Times

think Skin is the correct title for Skid (not really a friend)
but thats a minor quibble. its a good release, though the focus with regard to Love should probably be on the Elektra period. I mean, who out there is gonna rush out to grab Real to Reel when it sees release on cd

Of interest too is the fact that most of these songs are hard to find these days, unless you have the bootleg with the early LAGs trax

Only Midnight Sun has seen release previously, on vinyl, from Philadelphia label Distortions

wendywhen
Second Love

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  11:47:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah but my nephews really love Beep Beep so there you go. I brought back the a couple of promo CDs from LA and they made me give them one so they could sing that song and Lonely Pigs. On the other issue you are probably right about Love and the Electra albums. Everything after that should probably have been Arthur Lee records....but they weren't so ..what can you do?
Quite a few people I know prefer Black Beauty and Reel to Real to all of the Blue Thumb records...I am one of them. No slight on those records or the people that like them..just not my cup of tea. There are some great songs (August, Robert Montgomery etc) on those records, just too much Rock noodling for me. I was quite happy to see AL change direction and get more soulful. Works for me.

PS SKID is the correct title

YOU GOT TO TAKE LOVE HOW YOU CAN GET IT

...some old blues song or another
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  14:30:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hows the sound?

shame a live tape of Love at the Whisky in their heyday hasn't turned up ever. I mean, even a 1967 live tape of the Pink Floyd professionally recorded was played last week in Stockholm and is to be reissued as part of the Piper at the Gates of Dawn reissue by EMI, whos reissuing all the Floyd albums starting in September

I wouldn't mind another Forever Changes reissue if there were some live tracks, or some outtakes by Bryan from around the same time with the group (Softly to Me?) or something

Thats the period most people are interested in - after leaving Elektra it never really happened for Arthur, and he burned his bridges there
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  18:28:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wendy, were there any bonus tracks on the promo cd.?
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  22:59:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tend to view Beep Beep as a bonus track but hey! thats just me!

maybe if they trundled it over to another disc
Go to Top of Page

wendywhen
Second Love

United Kingdom
36 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  01:39:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Bonus tracks
AL had a long and productive career from '66 to 2006 give or take a forced vacation here and there. Not bad for Pop music. No need to feel sorry for him. I know some don't care for anything after FC but then again some do. My nephews just discovered Love so go figure

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  04:31:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
easier now to get into Love. Very hard to find Four Sail as an out of print Thunderbolt cd pre eBay

No bonus tracks though, that is surprising, I thought they were looking for interesting tracks

Okay, "Thailand" isn't an interesting track (in fact its rubbish in the same vein as "One" and gets to be a bore after a minute or so!)

but I thought they would've put SOMETHING to have as bonus trax

good liners? any liners? by Fricke? Sheffield? Anyone? Bueller?!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  17:11:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wendywhen

No Bonus tracks
AL had a long and productive career from '66 to 2006 give or take a forced vacation here and there. Not bad for Pop music. No need to feel sorry for him. I know some don't care for anything after FC but then again some do. My nephews just discovered Love so go figure

I agree,ww....my 25 year old nephew is just getting into LoVE, Moby Grape.....the paucity of quality music in general on pop radio and cable music channels is disheartening (and more kids are figuring that out too) unless one is willing to explore-search-dig through the muck, to find a core of surprisingly good indie-kids playing music influenced by our 60's masters (call me a music snob...s'ok)....but mostly they are moving on UP to our 60's music-- where it's AT!

And I love Arthur too, "ww", anyway we can get him...as I've said before...most kids would give their eye teeth to be able to write and perform like Arthur of the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's, AND 00's!!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 23/05/2011 17:13:44
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  03:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lotta good music out man

you got Beck still making music, Dar Williams, Gilmour & Waters still record & Rog constantly tours with classical & rock pieces

John Zorn (Black, Just Another, At your side)
Josh Ritter (Rainslicker!)

Never been a better time for finding music, quite a lot of it independant

Andy Breckman, the Weepies new one is good, Todd Rundgren's still recording (Liars, and with the Cars as well)

Thankfully its easier to find the old classics online. You can probably download the third Love album for 50 cents or something online at iTunes or some other site

Though not the 1st Moby Grape album, curiously
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  11:42:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a 4 star review of Black Beauty in the latest issue of Uncut magazine (not online yet) by Luke Torn. It says that there are bonus tracks and that the sleeve notes are by Ben Edmonds.
However, it repeats the story that Love toured the UK with Eric Clapton in 1974.This is untrue as Love toured the UK in 1974 with Casablanca as support (ask Harvey the Roadie).I believe that Love did play some shows on the East Coast of the USA in 1974 with Eric Clapton (both on RSO at the time), and the Philadelphia Spectrum show is from that tour I think.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  23:21:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes indeed Dukie - and John Einarson's book does not really offer much clarity on this. There is only a brief allusion to the '74 UK tour....and if you take the source he quotes at face value, you are left with the erroneous impression that Arthur was with Clapton in the UK. Unfortunately John's book completely omits any mention of the
Love's well received 1975 tour here. But of course these relatively minor shortcomings are more than compensated for elsewhere....it is still a wonderful read.

Edited by - John9 on 24/05/2011 23:22:27
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 25/05/2011 :  00:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the Castle has a review of one of the Clapton shows on the east coast where Love opened. Actually most of the article is about Love!
Go to Top of Page

Dukie
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2011 :  14:15:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone found where you can actually buy Black Beauty? Amazon?Play? Spin?(In the UK that is).
Go to Top of Page

dyecraig
Fourth Love

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  12:48:08  Show Profile  Visit dyecraig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
but really, when does it come out??!!
Go to Top of Page

torben
Fifth Love

Denmark
328 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2011 :  19:00:45  Show Profile  Visit torben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The release has been delayed.
http://lovearthurlee.com/press.html
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2011 :  01:11:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course it has

So much for the mention of the album in Time
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic