Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  17:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone ever heard the album?

is it really bad?

doesn't seem to be available (officially) on cd, though it seems to have been put out (by Reprise) on cassette and vinyl originally

Doubt if its even being produced on cassette anymore. Dylan (for instance) (from 1973 - a Columbia release) you used to be able to find on cassette (though its such a wretched album you'd probably want to smash it - I think even Johnston (producer) wanted his name off cos of the sound of the backing singers (WAY too high!)

Christgau certainly gave both records bad reviews:

Journey Through the Past [Reprise, 1973]
The film is as yet unreleased, which judging from the still on the cover--hooded horsemen carrying cruciform staves--is just as well. Its "soundtrack" has one virtue: eccentricity. Except for the apparently unfinished "Soldier," the standards, the Buffalo Springfield numbers, and the Young songs are familiar, but not in these versions, many of which are also apparently unfinished. Scholars will be grateful for the source material; the rest of us will settle for the 15:51 of "Words," which occupies all of side three. C+

Dylan [Columbia, 1973]
Listening to this set of rejects from what used to be Dylan's worst album does have its morbid fascination--if you'll forgive the esoteric reference, it's like watching Ryne Duren pitch without glasses. Not only are the timbre and melody off--he was always wild--but he also doesn't phrase cogently, and the songs just hit the dirt. All of which is CBS's punishment after Bobby had the bad manners to sign with another label. I wonder how he could imagine that Columbia is less than benevolent. E

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  19:03:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How can it be bad?

Buffalo Springfield live...rare version....

Find the Cost Of Freedom a capella merging into OHIO... CNS&Y.....how can it be bad? It is wonderful.

So my vinyl rip is on now. Along with TIME FADES AWAY...the last two YOUNG albums yet to be reissued on CD...very special. Live classics!

Side one

1. "For What It's Worth/Mr. Soul" (Stephen Stills/Young) – 3:54
* Neil Young - electric guitar, vocal; Stephen Stills - electric guitar, vocal; Richie Furay - electric guitar, vocal; Bruce Palmer - bass; Dewey Martin - drums
2. "Rock & Roll Woman" (Stills) – 2:53
* Stills - electric guitar, vocal; Young - electric guitar, vocal; Furay - electric guitar, vocal; Palmer - bass; Martin - drums
3. "Find the Cost of Freedom" (Stills) – 1:59
* Stills, Young, David Crosby, Graham Nash - vocals, guitars
4. "Ohio" – 4:23
* Young - electric guitar, vocal; Stills - electric guitar, vocal; Crosby - electric guitar, vocal; Nash - vocal; Calvin Samuels - bass; Johnny Barbata - drums

Side two

1. "Southern Man" – 6:47
* Young - electric guitar, vocal; Stills - electric guitar, vocal; Crosby - electric guitar, vocal; Nash - electric piano, vocal; Samuels - bass; Barbata - drums
2. "Are You Ready for the Country?" – 1:52
* Young - piano, vocal; Ben Keith - pedal steel guitar; Jack Nitzsche - lap steel guitar; Tim Drummond - bass; Kenny Buttrey - drums; Crosby, Nash - backing vocals
3. "Let Me Call You Sweetheart" (Leo Friedman/Beth Slater Whitson) – 1:05
* unknown announcer and female chorus
4. "Alabama" – 6:23
* Young - electric guitar, vocal; Keith - pedal steel guitar; Nitzsche - piano; Drummond - bass; Buttrey - drums; Stills, Crosby - backing vocals

Side three

1. "Words" – 16:30
* Young - electric guitar, vocal; Keith - pedal steel guitar; Nitzsche - piano; Drummond - bass; Buttrey - drums

Side four

1. "Relativity Invitation" (dialogue from the film) – 1:09
2. "Handel's Messiah" (George Frederic Handel) – 2:49
3. "King of Kings" (Miklós Rózsa) – 5:07
* Tracks 2-3 performed by The Tony & Susan Alamo Christian Foundation Orchestra & Chorus
4. "Soldier" – 3:39
* Young - piano, vocal
5. "Let's Go Away for Awhile" (Brian Wilson) – 2:08
* Jim Getzoff, Bill Kurasch, Lenny Malarsky, Jim Reisler, Ralph Schaeffer, Sid Sharp, Tibor Zelig - violins; Joe DiFiore, Harry Hyams - violas; Justin DiTullio, Joe Saxon - cellos; Roy Caton - trumpet; Jules Jacob - flute; Steve Douglas, Jim Horn, Plas Johnson, Jay Migliori - saxophones; Al de Lory - piano; Lyle Ritz - double bass; Carol Kaye - bass guitar; Julius Wechter - tympani, vibraphone; Hal Blaine - drums

Edited by - lemonade kid on 20/05/2011 19:04:01
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  20:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Journey..." ends with this personal beauty on piano....

Soldier
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8rx5wQq_wY

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2011 :  23:33:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I've only heard Soldier, off Decade

You gotta love Neil. Archives is amazing isnt it? I just ripped the film (Journey thru the past) for my bro, just cos of the (excellent) Springfield footage in the film

Not really a great film but thankfully its not too long. Its not as long as Renaldo and Clara (rubbish Dylan film) so its not too much time spent

and the live footage is excellent, and the music is interesting. I guess he was rehearsing Harvest with his band in the film - the sound on those trax is interesting

I also like the movies theme - its played at the end as I recall, with all the knights running around, but it plays on a loop when you put the dvd in

How many Archives is Neil to do? just the easter eggs on the Archives discs are wonderful - Neil showing a fan at Central Park how to play Cinnamon Girl, Neil in a coffeehouse playing live

Great great stuff

Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 21/05/2011 :  15:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know what I REALLY love?"Like A Hurricane" with its respelendently exotic guitar washes.Always abundant attention to nuance on just about ANYTHING he was ever involved with.Obviously,Young aims to create not just a record,but an larger atmospheric essence.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  14:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
he do that on live Rust?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  17:23:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

he do that on live Rust?

Yes.

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2011 :  23:01:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
damn fine track

Guess that'll be on Archives volume, uh, 3?

just passed along burns of volume 1 to my bro - hope he doesn't have too much trouble finding the easter eggs; I'll have to warn him to click on the roach clips and the joints!
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  02:23:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You seem to be like a squeezebox, you go in and out and in and out
and in and out.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  02:29:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
is Live Rust a good film? Only ever heard the live album

Cowgirl is a damn fine song. Think thats on Decade. Along with Soldier (Journey through the past)

Surprised that Neil never put out Journey through the past. Then again, took him years to put out On the Beach
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2011 :  17:20:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

is Live Rust a good film? Only ever heard the live album

Cowgirl is a damn fine song. Think thats on Decade. Along with Soldier (Journey through the past)

Surprised that Neil never put out Journey through the past. Then again, took him years to put out On the Beach

It wasn't that he didn't like the music....it was just too painful a time for Neil, his black period...best friend Danny's death from overdose....still pains him to this day.

And it's always about the sound...if Neil doesn't think it is up to snuff, we're not gonna hear it! Gotta love Neil for his goal to release only the best for us!!

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2011 :  04:18:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well Archives was worth the wait. Probably even lets you know if your sound system is alright for the set and how to correct it

can't believe that there are gonna be 3-4 more Archives set - the thing is exhaustive, and it only goes up to around Harvest !

I like the Squires stuff a lot (disc, uh, 0!)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page