305 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  07:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.npr.org/2011/04/26/135735890/arthur-lee-freed-from-the-vaults

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  10:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this. I really like the photo - it would be great if they were to use it as the album cover.

Edited by - John9 on 27/04/2011 10:28:44
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9875 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  16:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very nice! Click to enlarge that great photo....well I did & here it is.
How can an artist who is mentioned in the same breath as Hendrix be so unappreciated today?!!

If It is copy righted let me know and I'll remove it....but it is on a PUBLIC forum in NPR

STONED
I AM
-iconic 60's button

Edited by - lemonade kid on 27/04/2011 16:54:38
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2011 :  17:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Although the line-up and the music of course, are very different from Forever Changes, there is something quite magical..almost dreamlike..... about this. Perhaps it's the colour. The group seem to have a reflective pose not unlike the one on Love's masterpiece. I must admit that I've always had problems getting into Black Beauty.....but then I now like Vindicator more than I did and so you never know. And this newly remastered package should provide an excellent opportunity for reappraisal.

Edited by - John9 on 27/04/2011 17:09:09
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  16:18:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Makes one wonder if Lee was adding a little War to his library.How ironic would that be?A man who once fronted a band called Love!!Could the entire lost album be tantamount to a Brian Wilson/"Smile" type of thing?A mysteriously aborted project of significant artistic merit?

Edited by - captain america and billy on 28/04/2011 16:19:17
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9875 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2011 :  17:49:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

Makes one wonder if Lee was adding a little War to his library.How ironic would that be?A man who once fronted a band called Love!!Could the entire lost album be tantamount to a Brian Wilson/"Smile" type of thing?A mysteriously aborted project of significant artistic merit?

Hmmmmm.....SMiLE? Not in my opinion. SMiLE was Brian Wilson's follow up to Pet Sounds ....the all time number ONE album ever in many polls--and SMiLE is the follow up and masterwork....how could it not be with GOOD VIBRATIONS anchoring it?!! GOOD VIBRATIONS is almost universally considered the number one single of all time!

Black Beauty is fantastic but it ain't no SMiLE! And since most here have had a bootleg of Black Beauty for years, it isn't quite as "lost" as SmILE, only compiled by bootleggers from whatever they could put together until Brian finally recorded it!

For me, it's ARTHUR/Brain Wilson/Gene Clark/Nick Drake/Tim Buckley/John Lennon/Dylan at the very top, the cream of rock.

STONED
I AM
-iconic 60's button

Edited by - lemonade kid on 28/04/2011 17:51:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page