New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  11:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if anyone else has picked up on this, but the Love classic Can't Explain shares two identical lyrics with the Jagger/ Richards blues gem What a Shame. These are the lines:

"Nothing seems to go right"

and

"Always want to start a fight".

And of course, the two titles virtually rhyme.

What a Shame was a US single for the Stones in late '64 and appeared on The Rolling Stones Number 2 (UK) and Rolling Stones Now (US) albums the following year. But of course as we know, the lads from Richmond later took the She Comes in Colours lyric for She's a Rainbow...and so it is I suppose, a case of 'all square'.

I would like to think that one day The Rolling Stones and The Rolling Stones Number 2 will be given decent CD releases....this would restore an crucially important part of the band's heritage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcVxGbWyc_c

Edited by - John9 on 11/04/2011 15:33:53

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9875 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  18:48:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I don't know if anyone else has picked up on this, but the Love classic Can't Explain shares two identical lyrics with the Jagger/ Richards blues gem What a Shame. These are the lines:

"Nothing seems to go right"

and

"Always want to start a fight".

And of course, the two titles virtually rhyme.

What a Shame was a US single for the Stones in late '64 and appeared on The Rolling Stones Number 2 (UK) and Rolling Stones Now (US) albums the following year. But of course as we know, the lads from Richmond later took the She Comes in Colours lyric for She's a Rainbow...and so it is I suppose, a case of 'all square'.

I would like to think that one day The Rolling Stones and The Rolling Stones Number 2 will be given decent CD releases....this would restore an crucially important part of the band's heritage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcVxGbWyc_c

Great point, John. The interplay and "sharing" went on back then to everyone's benefit.

MuddyWaters<>JohnLeeHooker<>RobertJohnson<>BoDiddley<
>LittleRichard<>ChuckBerry<>ELVIS<>Stones<>Beatles<LOVE<>>BeachBoys<
>Dylan<>Animals<>Yardbirds<>Kinks<>Turtles<>Birds<
>Springfield<Velvets>WHO<>MOODYS.....

It wasn't so much stealing or borrowing, as osmosis..?!!

That amazing musical inovation & creation we grew up with is emulated even by the good artists of today, but they are only carrying the torch that was lit by our 1920's - 60's greats.

Am I a snob? Maybe...but who cares when I have all that music, everyday!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 11/04/2011 18:59:30
Go to Top of Page

Fred in Bed
Third Love

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2011 :  23:36:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Johnny in the sleevenotes for the first album CD, 'Can't Explain' was orginally called 'What a Shame' but they changed the name because John Fleckenstein pointed out the Rolling Stones had a song called 'What a Shame'... I quote:

"Which I didn't know. So we decided that we couldn't do that. We just wrote the words to 'Can't Explain' right there in the studio."

As both songs also contain the lyrics "wake up in the morning and find your poor self dead" you have to conclude Love's song was heavily influenced.

Lots of cool to-ing and fro-ing across the Atlantic in those days.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2011 :  00:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Yes Fred and LK - and in John Einarson's book he speaks of Love on their debut album being "The Rolling Stones of folk-rock".
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page