New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  01:37:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In June of 1968, Alexander “Skip” Spence was admitted into the Psychiatric Ward of New York’s Bellevue Hospital in lower Manhattan, putting an end to a highly creative period of his life. Oddly, it also signaled the beginning of his most prolific writing cycle. Unbeknownst to everyone involved with his career at that point, Bellevue provided Spence the safety he needed and the time to create what was to become his best-known work.
(wiki)

And OAR was born.

According to Spence himself, the Nashville sessions were intended by him to only be a demo, which he gave to Rubinson with the intent that the songs would be fleshed out with full production for the actual album. Instead Rubinson had the demo recordings released by Columbia.

When first released, Oar was not promoted by Columbia Records, despite pleadings from producer David Rubinson. It was at the time the lowest-selling album in Columbia Records history, and was deleted from the Columbia catalogue within a year of its release.[2]

It may be on of my all time favorites--
and I have great affection for my mint vinyl record.

Here is the full wiki entry...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_Spence

Some tunes....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TadkSF3fZyc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN6ALUgQ_vU&feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc1RIrDJPoA

Anyone else love this guy?!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 23/03/2011 01:39:06

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  04:08:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll stick to the 1st Moby Grape album thanks
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  18:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I read in Slow Hand's auto-bio that the only two west coast psychdelia bands he really liked were Buffalo Springfield and Moby Grape. I've seen Grape's first album on the Rolling Stone top 500 albums list and am looking forward to hearing it. I was really impressed with Country Joe and Fish's greatest hits I purchased on vinyl in a used record shop in Salem Ma. Also need to hear Springfield's second album which I hear is all it took to nab them hall of fame honors. Love should certainly be in on the credentials of "Forever Changes" alone as well. Did I miss word of their induction or is this a glaring omission on part of the same folks who put Bonnie Raitt and Dusty Springfield in?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  21:31:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

I read in Slow Hand's auto-bio that the only two west coast psychdelia bands he really liked were Buffalo Springfield and Moby Grape. I've seen Grape's first album on the Rolling Stone top 500 albums list and am looking forward to hearing it. I was really impressed with Country Joe and Fish's greatest hits I purchased on vinyl in a used record shop in Salem Ma. Also need to hear Springfield's second album which I hear is all it took to nab them hall of fame honors. Love should certainly be in on the credentials of "Forever Changes" alone as well. Did I miss word of their induction or is this a glaring omission on part of the same folks who put Bonnie Raitt and Dusty Springfield in?

Good luck on getting Moby Grape....it is in litigation AGAIN and pulled from the shelves...so it is out-of-print again and far game for downloading....damn that Grape manager that has squeezed the band till they almost all have passed away.

You must have Buffalo Springfield Again...an all time favorite.
And if you can get the Fish's first and greatest (one of the greatest psych albums ever).."Electric Music For The Mind And Body"

I didn't put his here.... but you may find a treasure here....OOP
http://rapidshare.com/#!download|44tg|272176834|Moby_Grape__original_.rar|79189

Edited by - lemonade kid on 23/03/2011 21:51:32
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2011 :  23:26:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just got the Sundazed 2007 release of Moby Grape's debut (with 5 bonus tracks) on cd

I wonder if its an upgrade from Sony's Moby Grape Vintage (2cd - with the 1st album in full on disc 1) which I do have - I'm sure it'll sound better than the San Francisco Sound release that I understand was mastered off vinyl

Not that I'm dissing vinyl. I have some cd recorded from vinyl (Arthur's Stay Away b/w You I'll Be Following 45, the Lionel Bart Isn't This Where We Came In? lp)

But you would think an album as fine as the Moby's 1st would be mastered digitally

I'll do a video review of the release shortly. Great great album.

Always preferred Moby to Skip solo. Oar is not a bad album, per se, but it can get rather tedious in parts, especially on the cd reissue!

cool that Robyn Hitchcock Beck et all did a tribute to it of course!

The Jerry Miller Band is cool too, though I'm not sure if he (guitarist for Moby G) did any solo albums (the Melvilles? Maby Grape?) I've about 2 hours of the Jerry Miller Band on video but haven't heard any cds from the band

Wish I could've seen MB at the Wetlands in the late 90s when they were doing all of the album live (and "All My Life" for Skip I believe). "Oh, well" (Peter Green)

heres me doing Naked If I Want To asking that musical question

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FElMgJCz3to

Can I have an amplifier on time ?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page