New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  21:32:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gram Parsons' description of his own music....that about covers it!

One of Keith Richards' best buds and musical soulmate that lived at Keith's home Nellcote (France) during The recording of Exile On Main Street.

Share your favorite American Cosmic Music from Gram, whether it be from The Submarine Band, The Byrds, The Burritos or going SOLO...none better!

Gram & Emmylou...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2LtJ7AKUrc

And a favorite live Burritos!....psychedelic pedal steel!!
Is Gram happy?!! Love that Nudie outfit with the maryjane leaves!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BITiY8M_oDo

Sin City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YTiHbx4SXE&NR=1&feature=fvwp

Play it LOUD in our Cosmos!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 18/03/2011 01:02:51

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  13:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
greatstuff lk..amazing to think that the Byrds, in a way, morphed into what Gram and Chris created...that 'cosmic' approach just appeared to me grounded in the that old tymey country tradition that was part of the background of the two. And to this day I don't how an "urbanized" kid got into all those Burrito bits....I'm propbably a country boy at heart..;-)...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2011 :  22:20:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wild Horses"...given to the Burritos by Keef to put on their album even before the Stones recorded it...along with a couple pther Stones tracks given to Gram by Keef.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4z_rtZx8J0

It is believed that Richards and Gram wrote this together or fleshed it out...they played non-stop when they hung together

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  13:08:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yeah..they seemed to be soul-brothers so to speak. We can see how Gram influenced keef when we got some of those country-inflected songs from the Stones. The Stones' country excursions seemed to work. And thne we had it where Hillman et al influenced Elton on his Tumblweeed Connection album
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  22:38:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the Stones had raided black U.S.A. music wholesale, so only fair that they gave country a going -over a well.
R,I,P,Gram Parsons.
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  14:44:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In one of those greatest albums ever made books, the panel elected for Gram Parsons "Grevious Angel" and made reference to Parsons dying under unusual circumstances. Has anyone out there ever read any details about his untimely passing?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  18:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

In one of those greatest albums ever made books, the panel elected for Gram Parsons "Grevious Angel" and made reference to Parsons dying under unusual circumstances. Has anyone out there ever read any details about his untimely passing?

Well, Keef relates in LIFE that Gram passed of an overdose ....he had been clean for years but as happens (also happened to Tim Buckley), when offered a bit of smack after being straight for years, they think they can use what they used back when they "used". The body can't take it and goes into shock...you die.

That news almost killed his dear friend, Keith Richards.

"Grievious Angel" indeed.....Great album, capt'. Do you have the Burritos "Gilded Palace Of Sin"?

"Christine's Tune
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BITiY8M_oDo

Edited by - lemonade kid on 24/03/2011 18:48:03
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2011 :  19:03:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I heard it for the first time after seeing it on the Rolling Stone list. Obviously other than raw country itself the grass roots beginning of country rock later made famous in mainstream by groups like the Eagles, who had Burrito Brother Bernie Leadon as member. Really fine album with high precision musicianship including the bass of ex-Byrd Chris Hillman. Some good solid songs arranged with full rich harmony accompaniment. Quite actually, when I first heard the group name Burrito Bros. and knew they were formed in '68 or so, I initially thought with that far-out sounding a moniker, they must have been some kind of psychedelic outfit. Normally, I'm usually not too big on too much country, but this one really intrigued me. I used to believe country rock began with the opening chords of "Take it Easy". Always fascinating to hear the roots of things. Kind of like listening to Elvis' Sun Sessions or early Ray Charles.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2011 :  19:44:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
capt america..whether or not you realize it you are a "FLYING BURRITO BROTHER"...
'cmon hit it..."This old earthquake's gonna leave me in the poorhouse..it seems like this whole world's insane, on the 31st floor a gold plated door won't keep out the Lord's burnin' rain"...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page