mood orchestrations
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  16:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Forever Changes" remains one of my favorite albums in terms of arrangement and musical accomponiment. The bass violin strokes that underscore the line "but my things are material" in "Andmoreagain" are among the most haunting in pop history while "You Set the Scene" is a highly poignant piece of pop symphony, actualkly predating the Beatles suite with George Martin on side two of "Abbey Road". The strings and Spanish style horns of "Alone Again Or" are lucious and full of vibrant texture and "Red Telephone" provides us with a lilt of a flowing musical macabre. Arthur Lee shows his talents as musician,poet,and scoring mastermind who's depth and emotion will satisfy seekers of true pop epic.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  20:38:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by captain america and billy

"Forever Changes" remains one of my favorite albums in terms of arrangement and musical accomponiment. The bass violin strokes that underscore the line "but my things are material" in "Andmoreagain" are among the most haunting in pop history while "You Set the Scene" is a highly poignant piece of pop symphony, actualkly predating the Beatles suite with George Martin on side two of "Abbey Road". The strings and Spanish style horns of "Alone Again Or" are lucious and full of vibrant texture and "Red Telephone" provides us with a lilt of a flowing musical macabre. Arthur Lee shows his talents as musician,poet,and scoring mastermind who's depth and emotion will satisfy seekers of true pop epic.

Perfectly said. capt'n.

Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  22:35:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give me a break!
To not mention David Angel's role in the orchestration of FC would be like not mentioning Geo. Martin with the Beatles
Robert Kirby with Nick Drake
Bob Harris with Judee Sill
George Tipton with Nillson
etc...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9866 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2011 :  23:32:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think David is NOT being mentioned by Capt'n here, eerie....it is all a part of what FC is! The part Angel plays on arrangements and orchestration are as integral for FC as Martin is for the Beatles' records...that goes without saying for all that know and love FC here, I believe.

Just as the Beatles and Martin go together as one, so do Love and Angel on FC. Look what happened on "Let It Be" without Martin. They were perceptive enough to ask Mr Martin back for a last waltz on Abbey Road.....

Edited by - lemonade kid on 19/03/2011 16:26:20
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2011 :  03:47:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let It Be's a damn fine film and album

Granted, Geo Martin (good old Geo!) was essential to the Beatles (for one thing he signed them after meeting with Brian!)
but the fact that Let It Be is not out on dvd is quite simply appalling; its their best film

Shame that they never did a Tolkien film though, to honor the 3 film contract with United Artists!
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2011 :  16:01:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry for mistakenly omitting mention of David Angel as "Forever Changes" arranger. It was a long time since I had read the liner notes and I must have forgottemn what I read. Usually information like that sticks in my brain. I also forgot to credit Bruce Botnik as co-producer. Moving on, is that Roger McGuinn I hear on background vocals on "No Matter What"? I know Bryan MacLean was a roadie for the Byrds so I figure maybe this done as a favor.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3485 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  03:13:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
weren't the Byrds in Britain when Love was at Sunset Sound?
Go to Top of Page

Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2011 :  15:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe. That might have been the trip over when they wrote "Eight Miles High" looking down at Britain from an airplane. I think the story is the plane was really only six miles high, but they thought eight evoked a stronger artistic feel. At least that's what I read in liner notes for the "Fifth Dimension" c.d.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page