Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2011 :  03:50:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I particularly like the early demo of "Don't call on me" by Nes, though I don't think thats on any Rhino reissue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ifI8zV3wjI

recorded as Michael Blessing, apparently

gotta love those major 7th chords:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_aMf3F1wss
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  15:48:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Monkees do hold a special place in pop music, they were so loveable, but all and all and then in the end, I do not consider them Hall worthy.
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2011 :  16:57:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whether or not they wind up a Hall inductees,the Monks have every reason to hang their heads high about the things they DID accomplish as well as the personal relationships they forged with some of rock's most highly respected eschelon of artists,including the Deans of classic rock college,the Beatles.They played a major role in the development of the rock video,landed firm placement in the anals of tv history with their groundbreaking series and remain the only artist to score four Billboard number one albums in a calendar year.(1967:"The Monkees","More Of","Headquarters","Pieces,Aquarius,Capricorn and Jones,LTD").Mike Nesmith was a key player in the devolpment of country rock and Mickey Dolenz was one of the first in the world to own a Moog synthesizer,an essential piece in the advent of progrressive rock in the late sixties and early seventies.While it IS true that perhaps four completely different musicians and actors may well have been chosen for the tv series,it remains a fact that whoever those people might have been,they too likely would have been thrust,albeit through great fortune,into the same advantageous position of being able to parlay their dedications to the project into similar pop historic porportion,due to the marvelous entertainment genius efforts of the televison producers and writers who contributed to this wonderfully timless venture.

Edited by - captain america and billy on 14/06/2011 16:58:59
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  01:17:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Captain, you are absolutely right, The Monkees and The Hall doesn't matter, hell they were so special!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  02:10:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
lot of bands not in the Hall: Love, the Left Banke, Donovan, Hall and Oates, Robyn Hitchcock and the Egyptians, Mott the Hoople, the Sundays

still stunned that the Dave Clark Five got in!

at least Traffic is in
Go to Top of Page

captain america and billy
Old Love

907 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2011 :  16:01:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd put the Left Banke in just for their sheer boldness in their attempts to redefine the medium.Sometimes I wonder what happened to lead singer Steve Martin.This man was gifted.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page