New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2011 :  22:15:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lady friend on one of my favorite Dylan album covers in my library.....passed away at age 67. Dylan's muse for some of Dylan's greatest songs....

http://new.music.yahoo.com/blogs/amplifier/88559/bob-dylans-muse-and-freewheelincover-star-suze-rotolo-dead-at-67/

Edited by - lemonade kid on 01/03/2011 02:42:56

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  01:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I'm very sad to hear this LK. That famous Freewheelin cover shot somehow reflected the heady optimism and sense of excitement that characterised the early 60s. It's my favourite Dylan sleeve too...along with Bringing It All Back Home. Rest well, Suze...and thanks.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  02:28:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

I'm very sad to hear this LK. That famous Freewheelin cover shot somehow reflected the heady optimism and sense of excitement that characterised the early 60s. It's my favourite Dylan sleeve too...along with Bringing It All Back Home. Rest well, Suze...and thanks.

Some more great pics, j9 and all...

Edited by - lemonade kid on 01/03/2011 02:42:16
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  02:34:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well the less said of Ballad in Plain D
the better!
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  10:52:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks again, LK. Off course, mention of all this brings to mind the alternative version of the album that was released initially and then withdrawn. Some years ago, Record Collector reported on one that had turned up at a second hand shop in St Marks, NYC. It was sold at auction for a king's ransome because it was in an exceedingly rare stereo format rather than mono (or perhaps, the other way round). It is breathtaking to think of the white heat at which Dylan was working during the early to mid 60s. Mind you, if I'd had someone like Suze to inspire me, then I think I would have tried a little harder at school....especially in creative writing!

Edited by - John9 on 01/03/2011 10:57:35
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  13:59:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx for all that lk...I opened my paper this am to read all about it...(I guess soemthing was bound to happen because ironically I was playing alot of Dylan this past weekend including one of my favs Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands a few times) man that's some song.

Rotolo did write a book about her early days with Dylan. I haven't read it but from the reviews they noted "she told no tales". I liked that because it looked lkke she wanted to preserve her memories with him to herself. No tawdry stuff there.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  17:28:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

thx for all that lk...I opened my paper this am to read all about it...(I guess soemthing was bound to happen because ironically I was playing alot of Dylan this past weekend including one of my favs Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands a few times) man that's some song.

Rotolo did write a book about her early days with Dylan. I haven't read it but from the reviews they noted "she told no tales". I liked that because it looked lkke she wanted to preserve her memories with him to herself. No tawdry stuff there.

Her book was highly recommended to me....

I love Sad Eyed Lady of The Lowlands also rocker...nice.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2011 :  19:23:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just posted to eBay a Goldmine issue on the Freewheelin album (with info on the withdrawn version)

Apparently they switched a couple tracks on it?

of course I put Suze Rotolo in the auction title - her book is really selling now! I haven't read it myself (still trying to start the Patti Boyd tome, having just finished the Spitz Beatles biography)

Then on to Lewisohn's Beatles book (if that 1st volume see release this year!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page