John Barry RIP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  22:58:15  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't think anyone mentioned this but last week (31st Jan) John Barry died. What a fantastic composer this man was and he really is a loss to the music world. Composed music for 11 Bond films and other classics such as Born Free, Dances with Wolves and this, my personal favourite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQFI_VtaOJA

Stunning

RIP John Barry - certainly a once in a lifetime composer in my view

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  00:25:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Kula John - he was always a hero of mine. (I saw Zulu on its release in 1963-64....a truly great film.) I especially loved his scores for historical films....particularly The Lion In Winter and Mary Queen Of Scots. But then of course there were all those sublime songs from the Bond movies...of these,my favourite would be Diamonds Are Forever. I remember him getting his richly deserved BAFTA Life Time Achievement Award just a few years back. RIP old friend....and thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKjqrEMzlbA&feature=fvst

Edited by - John9 on 09/02/2011 00:44:03
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  02:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw ZULU in the theater also...it was really awesome!

Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  12:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Zulu is one of my favourite films! Even though it recalls the British Empire in one of its many shameful moments it's still a cracking film and I think it does a great job of representing the bravery of individuals rather than focussing on the injustice of the actual conflict. I was in Kwazulu Natal, South Africa back in August for a few days and enquired about doing the battlefield tour of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift but it was out of my budget!! I think Barry's music really makes the film.

This is the time and this is the time and it is time, time, time, time, time, time, time.....
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  14:05:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Too bad I wasn't there for the tour john I'd take you along for sure!! Getting to Isandhlwana and Rorke's Drift is one of my dream trips since reading and studying the Anglo-Zulu war is one of my "hobbies". In learning about them, I've found out that they are an incredble people and culture. To think that they charged up against rifles bullets....

You know from the looks of it one has to really prepare when going there to visit. For exmaple, if the weather turns you can get into trouble real quick.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  20:47:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got quite close to Rorke's Drift back '94. I was spending a few days in Durban and I undertook an excursion into the Valley Of A Thousand Hills....one of those truly lifetime experiences that you know you'll never forget. I think that what made Zulu such a magnificent film was the way that it managed to portray at one and the same time both the futility of war and the nobility of courage.

Back to John Barry, there is of course an african connection:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_fAEdw7ts0&feature=related

Ah, Meryl Streep...in my book, still the greatest living female actor.........I can't wait to see her later this year as Margaret Thatcher. She was spotted at the House of Commons a couple of weeks back preparing for the role.

Edited by - John9 on 09/02/2011 20:48:12
Go to Top of Page

Kula John
Old Love

United Kingdom
756 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  21:00:59  Show Profile  Visit Kula John's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rocker: I'm the same. Ever since I watched Zulu at about the age of 8 with my parents I became fascinated by the Zulus and went on to study the Anglo-Zulu wars for a school project some years later! Brave, brave and a very proud people and I like the way the film portrays that. As you said John, the futility of war is really well reflected in the film.

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  14:07:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very right about the film. And I think it's special to note that the producers showed the Zulu not as simple props "playing off" the British but as a people with their own indigenous culture and traditions.

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2011 :  14:13:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And that Out of Africa soundtrack...real beautiful..and do any of you have the original Zulu soundtrack? Some real good stuff there besides music from the film. There's one track titled "London Theme" that Barry wrote. If you listen to it with its lush horns and strings I think it's just so evocative of that time (early 60's). It was like it was creatively opening everything up to what would follow in music. Just absolutely a great theme to hear.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page