Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  02:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For any that want to watch this out-of-print classic with some Love related music in the soundtrack....here it is for free online

http://veehd.com/video/4516075_Medium-Cool-1969

ENJOY!

Very cool!

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  02:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that rarest of all birds - an Echols/Lee composition!!

as rare as a Dave Davies/Ray Davies comp ("Death of a clown" off Something else by the Kinks, "There is no life without love" from The Great Lost Kinks Album)!!
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  19:25:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks LK....The Movie "Medium Cool" takes one back to a really scary time in this Country.
The Government acted like a third world dictatorship, back then. Mayor Richard Daley should have been prosecuted for his actions, instead he was applauded, and re-elected.

Actually Lonely Guitar, aka Emotions is a Johnny Echols tune. Elektra added Arthur's name by mistake. Echols had writen, and was playing that song, long before Arthur was even doing music. Several local late night radio talk shows, still play the tune as a lead-in.

I recently saw Don Conka in a clip from Mondo-Hollywood, a blast from the past, pretty trippy. It was on You Tube for a while, now it's missing in action. It was good while it lasted!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  20:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Echols ever play with Conka on his own?
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2011 :  22:11:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Echols played with Conka, Fleck, and Tjay Cantrelli, before Arthur came on the scene. The group of them played at a place called the Sea Witch in Hollywood, and the old Stratford's on Sunset (now the House of Blues) They also played a few local night spots, and frat parties with Henry Vestine and Larry Taylor. Soon After, Arthur came on board as a Bongo player, and the journey begins!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  16:37:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
who was Arthur playing with at the time? its rare when he wasn't playing with Echols

very interesting, the Tjay, Echols connection. You can see why Tjay was brought in later if Johnny had been in a band with him!

wonder if any tapes were made by them. Stranger things have happened. A few years ago on Laughing Madcaps (a Syd Barrett/Pink Floyd Yahoo! group) someone had turned up an old Barrett track called "In the beechwoods" that he cut with the Floyd - it was played by Nick Mason in an interview

Apparently it had been there all that time but it was a simple case of noone knowing what it was

Hopefully Johnny made some recordings of his early bands rehearsing when they weren't playing frat parties!

its thanks to Johnny's involvement that Love Story is as good a film as it is - thanks for that lk - glad you like the Let It Be film!
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  19:58:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe....Echols' first started playing with Conka, Fleck, Tjay and a singer named Chuck Daniels, during the time Arthur still fancied himself a basketball star. When he decided he wanted to be in a band, Echols' brought Arthur on-board to play the bongo drums, from time to time. Later, when Arthur's parents bought him an organ, he began playing with the group full time.

There is an instrumental they recorded called "Sherry Black," With Conka, Fleck, Larry Taylor and Henry Vestine, that's really pretty good. It's on Capital Records. I believe they did a couple of versions. Someone was trying to sell a copy on ebay, (right after Arthur was released from prison) for way too much money. Years ago, there were a number of tunes floating around that they had recorded in Arthur's garage.... Maybe someone out there still has them in a box somewhere, who knows!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  20:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still waiting for the live Whisky tape to turn up on eBay !

Stranger things have happened - I spotted the Hendrix/Lee acetate..
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  21:11:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stranger things have happened Joe.... keep a good thought!

By the way, after playing the organ for less than a year, Arthur took a two month gig in Reno Nevada, playing for Noony Ricket's band. That's when he first met Frank Fayad. Echols continued playing with Fleck and company.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  21:26:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Echols started Love (Grass Roots)

Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  22:00:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Arthur and Johnny are listed as co-founders, on the official Arthur Lee & Love site!
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  22:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
poor Fleck. Hes the forgotten man in the "Love saga"

Wonder if Love owes him money
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  23:14:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fleck is a very wealthy dude, with a ranch in Santa Barbra, and a house on the beach. I doubt if he even cares.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2011 :  23:45:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what was Fleck's involvement in Jaws? tell me he wasn't involved in Jaws 3-D?

the only item of note about that film is that it paid for Michael Caine's house!!

See, this is the thing I LoVE about this board - Wikipedia doesn't tell me that Tjay played with Echols and Fleck in LA (a pre LA G.)

Doesn't even mention that Arthur stole Noony's band (although Noony is on the cover of False Start, and I think he sings on the odd track like "Flying" (kinda catchy)

Does mention the album as part of the Hip-O Cat Blue Thumb Recordings collection, curiously
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  01:33:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Fleck was a Cinematographer on Jaws, and many other major films. I don't know what his involvement on Jaws 3d was. We chatted several years ago at the Love Story premier in Westwood, mostly "what is happening, and how have you been." I haven't spoken with him since. I heard he was touring the world with the Standel's. Fleck is one of the good guys, I'm really happy for him, that he's doing so well.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2011 :  05:40:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Echols started Love (Grass Roots)

No Arthur started Love, ask Jac.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic