Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  00:34:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was watching a movie on TCM Underground called "Model Shop" (1968)(which was horrible), and in a scene where the lead character goes to his friend's house to bum $100 off of him, the friend's band (which is rehearsing) turns out to be Spirit, complete with RC and his bald uncle!
RC looks kinda goofy and smiles into the camera, and then the friend plays a nice instrumental that he wrote, alone on the piano.
Then, in a pioneering display of product placement, he hands him Spirit's first LP, and says "Here, I want you to have this."
Anyone see this awful Jacques Demy movie and know the piano song?

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  00:50:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

I was watching a movie on TCM Underground called "Model Shop" (1968)(which was horrible), and in a scene where the lead character goes to his friend's house to bum $100 off of him, the friend's band (which is rehearsing) turns out to be Spirit, complete with RC and his bald uncle!
RC looks kinda goofy and smiles into the camera, and then the friend plays a nice instrumental that he wrote, alone on the piano.
Then, in a pioneering display of product placement, he hands him Spirit's first LP, and says "Here, I want you to have this."
Anyone see this awful Jacques Demy movie and know the piano song?

Never have seen the movie, but the Spirit music for Model Shop was released a couple years back....a very nice effort from one of my favorites! Playing that is.

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  00:52:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.amazon.com/Model-Shop-Spirit/dp/B0006UEVRM...the CD...also on vinyl.

SPIRIT —THE GROUNDBREAKING L.A. COMBO EQUALLY swayed by moody jazz and Hendrix-style rock’n’ roll—was born to record movie soundtracks. Unfortunately, they cut only one, for the seldom-seen 1969 Jacques Demy film Model Shop, but what a triumph it is: a magical blend of John Locke’s eerie keyboards, the soaring guitar of Randy California and Jay Ferguson’s impassioned vocals and percussion, backed by the rock-steady bass and drums of Mark Andes and Ed Cassidy. It’s mindboggling that something as dazzling as the Model Shop soundtrack—recorded by the classic Spirit lineup— has been languishing unreleased in the vaults for over 35 years! The stuff of longplaying-legends and vinyl-myths, this full-length album was recorded in late 1968, but the completed master was shelved before release. Rescued from obscurity at last by Sundazed, this much rumored film-score gem is now center-stage where it can take a much deserved bow.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 26/01/2011 00:53:43
Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  19:26:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Model Shop soundtrack is well worth owning, if you happen to be a Spirit fan; very similar to their third release, "Clear," highlighting some fine John Locke instrumental material and overall excellent
ensemble playing from a really, really great band. Definitely not a strong Demy film (it's no "Umbrellas") but worth a look as an L.A. period piece, and especially for Spirit's appearance. Cass was Randy's stepfather, by the way ("The Family That Plays Together"). He lives about fifteen minutes away from me, is as cool and sharp as ever at the age of 87, and I still firmly believe that Randy was not mistaken in regularly introducing him onstage as "the greatest drummer in the world."
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2011 :  20:04:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Signed RW

The Model Shop soundtrack is well worth owning, if you happen to be a Spirit fan; very similar to their third release, "Clear," highlighting some fine John Locke instrumental material and overall excellent
ensemble playing from a really, really great band. Definitely not a strong Demy film (it's no "Umbrellas") but worth a look as an L.A. period piece, and especially for Spirit's appearance. Cass was Randy's stepfather, by the way ("The Family That Plays Together"). He lives about fifteen minutes away from me, is as cool and sharp as ever at the age of 87, and I still firmly believe that Randy was not mistaken in regularly introducing him onstage as "the greatest drummer in the world."

No one drums like Cass....the best.

Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  02:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Signed RW

It was hard to tell if Spirit played some of the great instrumental music that went on during the lead actor's visits to the Model Shop.
It was a modal, minor key, Coltrane-sounding thing that had great guitar playing (clean, no distortion)in it.
I know Ed played with jazz people like Zoot Sims, but I never heard Randy play in a jazz style- was that him?
In the credits, they said Marty Paich conducted and was the musical director, but that's a little vague.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  08:54:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, Spirit....one of America's very finest bands. To me they have always lain somewhere between The Doors, The Byrds, Cream, The Association.......and Love. And their first four classic albums must constitute one of the most consistently excellent bodies of work in the whole of rock!

Edited by - John9 on 27/01/2011 08:54:46
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  18:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Ah, Spirit....one of America's very finest bands. To me they have always lain somewhere between The Doors, The Byrds, Cream, The Association.......and Love. And their first four classic albums must constitute one of the most consistently excellent bodies of work in the whole of rock!

I recently found a mono vinyl promo of their first album. At first, though it sounds great, I found no differences until I got to side two on the 4th track...it has some different sounds with more guitar up front etc and the next track too.

I remember reading liner notes how Spirit developed their songs while living together in Topanga Canyon. One night, Cass worked up some new drum lick by himself and it became the basis and inspiration for a song. Not too many songwriter would be inspired enough by a drum line to write a song for it, but Cass' drumming was the stuff of genius. I m sure his drumming was a major force in determining th edirection of many songs...."I Got A Line On You" would be a prime example I would think.

I knew when I got that first vinyl in 68 that I was hearing something special.
Rock on Cass.

Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  18:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been quite a few years since I've seen the film, but I do believe that Spirit provided all the music for it. In their earliest days, the band was pretty heavily Coltrane-influenced, and in performance did some very cool, lengthy improvisational pieces, I want to say even a Coltrane cover, not altogether
removed from Love's live versions of John Lee Hooker/Revelation. I do remember noticing that every time a car radio was turned on in the film, it seemed that it was always Spirit being played, and thinking
that I wished that the band actually had gotten that much airplay; they certainly deserved it. Pretty sure also that Marty Paich did the orchestral arrangements on Spirit's earlier releases, so it makes sense that he'd arrange and orchestrate the film's music as well. There is a commercially available DVD of the film, but I personally think that the soundtrack CD is the item worth owning, despite the band actually being in the movie.
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  19:19:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I think I already erased it on the DVR. It was pretty hard to take 1950s French existentialist dialogue in late 1960s California.
I always loved "1984" and "I've Got a Line On You", but like most bands, they seemed to peter out after a few good ideas. I was really disappointed with the "Dr. Sardonicus" LP. "It's Nature's way, it's nature's way, it's nature's way... Give me a break!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  20:15:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

Yeah, I think I already erased it on the DVR. It was pretty hard to take 1950s French existentialist dialogue in late 1960s California.
I always loved "1984" and "I've Got a Line On You", but like most bands, they seemed to peter out after a few good ideas. I was really disappointed with the "Dr. Sardonicus" LP. "It's Nature's way, it's nature's way, it's nature's way... Give me a break!

Really! Dr. Sardonicus is a masterpiece by all reviews and considered their apex...but I love all the first four albums....unique creative icons all.

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  20:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes indeed, LK. Sardonicus is definitely in my top twenty all time greats. Rather as in the case of Forever Changes, you're trying to take in the sheer brilliance of the track that has just played....and you're straight into another. Few bands have ever managed that....though The Byrds did with The Notorious Byrd Brothers.

It's nature's way of telling you, summer breeze
It's nature's way of telling you, dying trees

Edited by - John9 on 27/01/2011 20:52:33
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  21:44:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes indeed, LK. Sardonicus is definitely in my top twenty all time greats. Rather as in the case of Forever Changes, you're trying to take in the sheer brilliance of the track that has just played....and you're straight into another. Few bands have ever managed that....though The Byrds did with The Notorious Byrd Brothers.

I can't help singing the harmony to Nature's Way every time I listen to it!

And let's not forget Kaptain Kopter and Potatoland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgSI4LIqfco&feature=related

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  22:18:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is quite a beautiful song by Randy California....Spirit in Potatoland....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_zMuBOwVow&feature=related

...one more....It's Time Now...beautiful but bizarre
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW_L_zaCTug&feature=related

Edited by - lemonade kid on 27/01/2011 22:24:48
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  20:09:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The sad part is "Nature's Way" was IMHO the best song on the LP
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2011 :  21:34:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nature's Way is the best track, he said, sarcastically...come on! Examples of the brilliance of Dr Sardonicus....

Prelude/Nothing To Hide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLTSFeWCvjU

When I Touch You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6VKwhQz7VY&feature=related

Life Has Just Begun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RK4NK8UGZRI&feature=related

Really....just brilliant!! Maybe you don't like it, but I've found those who don't care for spirit's "12 Dreams..." or such obviously talented bands...they usually take a defensive stance...maybe they are intimidated. Usually the case, when the stance is so strongly stated. Now a violent response towards Britney or Madonna?-- I can understand...we're trying to cleanse the world....

Edited by - lemonade kid on 29/01/2011 21:35:21
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page