New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2010 :  00:04:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll start with David Ackles....brilliant kind of acid-rock, folk, show-tune americana artistry....

Click on the top google item to play...LOVE"S ENOUGH
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=david+ackles+love's+enough&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

And "ONE NIGHT STAND"
http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=one+night+stand+david+ackles&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Edited by - lemonade kid on 12/12/2010 00:05:31

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2010 :  08:33:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great topic LK. For me it would be Judy Collins...especially her ground breaking 60s work. In My Life was recorded in London during 1966 and marked her first collaboration with Joshua Rifkin. Included were Brecht/Weill's Pirate Jenny and a truly amazing suite of songs from Peter Weiss's Marat Sade...which as we know would be mined briefly the following year by a certain Arthur Lee.

Marat we’re poor
And the poor stay poor
Marat don’t make us wait anymore
We want our rights and we don’t care how
We want our revolution............... now

A couple of weeks back....and 44 years on, the BBC unearthed and screened a quiet, intimate concert that had been originally recorded when she was over here making the album....buried treasure indeed!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW-mpkiMPpA&feature=fvst

Edited by - John9 on 13/12/2010 08:45:54
Go to Top of Page

DaveyTee
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2010 :  09:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I decided that there was something special about Elektra after I bought Love's first album, which I did purely on the recommendation of an NME review. From there it was an easy step to the Doors, who obviously have to be regarded as favourite Elektra artists - Ive certainly got enough of their albums! By that time I was looking for anything on Elektra, which is how I came to buy the excellent Judy Collins album, "In My Life", referred to by John.

But otherwise they were a pretty mixed bunch. I'm not a great fan of folk music, so much as I would have liked to have done I never really got into the likes of Tom Paxton, Tom Rush and Phil Ochs. I've got Clear Light's one and only album - some good tracks, some not so good - but wasn't very impressed with the first offering from Rhinoceros, so I didn't buy the subsequent two. Incredible String Band were much too folky, Bread too feeble, MC5 too tuneless. I remember listening to Eclection, but never bought any of their albums and I can't really remember anything about their music.

Rather strangely in view of the above, I did like Boston's Earth Opera, even if I never quite came to terms with Peter Rowan's vocals. I still play their two albums from time to time.

I also bought an album by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band (I can't remember which one), but I didn't rate them as highly as many of the British blues bands of the time so didn't buy another.

DT

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2010 :  14:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to hand it to Elektra they signed some interesting guys. they were how should I say "enterprising!"
Anyone rememeber David Peel and the Lower East Side??? You must know about "Have a Marijuana!"......I think one song was "I do my bawling in the bathroom!".
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2010 :  16:36:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just pulled out the Judy Collins LP with all those amazing song, john...Marat Sade is brilliant. The whole album is. Judy was one to "help" or showcase unknowns and was always looking for more.....Leonard Cohen was always featured on a Collin's album, Dylan always (not so unknown ), Tim Buckley whom she admired but was so saddened by his addiction, and a favorite cover of Randy Newman's--"I Think It's Going To Rain Today"...on the Smother's Brothers' groundbreaking show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ftrKSMOqxg

Edited by - lemonade kid on 13/12/2010 16:44:20
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2010 :  04:28:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that Judy Collins LP was one of the all-time greatest albums ever made.
Her beautiful voice, Rifkin's great arrangements and her great choice of material combined to make for a great LP.
"Suzanne" is musical perfection IMHO, with the guitar ostinato setting off her voice beautifully. If that doesn't get to you, nothing will.
I was surprised to find that she wasn't as good live, though.
She had a tendency to sing out of tune
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2010 :  05:09:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David Blue is playing pinball in Renaldo and Clara, talking about going into the Village in the early 60s, seeing Dylan

As a cure for insomnia, Renaldo and Clara REALLY fits the bill. I watched the first half hour of that film the other night and it knocked me right out!

I think one review of the film said that it was the worst film ever, which seems about right

Its even worse than Eat the Document!!
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  14:55:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love some of the folk stuff on Elektra - when I was buying the first Love album on CD, I saw a pile of folkie stuff on twofers: Tom Paxton, Phil Ochs, Tom Rush, Judy Henske (not really folk sounding, but more a folk vibe - and her High Flyin' Bird is awesome!), Koerner, Ray & Glover, David Blue & the Singer-Songwriter project (for me it's the Richard Farina stuff first and foremost). I bought the lot. And like DaveyT, I enjoy the Earth Opera albums. However, outside all these,Love and the Doors, my favourite Elektra album is probably Bamboo's one and only album, still, sadly unreleased on CD - my used copy is in pretty bad nick when I picked it up. 'Girl of the Season' was on one of those turn-of-the-70s compils. Highly recommended if you can track down a copy.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  18:37:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some great ones boomer.

Do I have to be the one to mention one that stands alone? OK....
Fred Neil, with maybe my favorite Elektra album cover.

...the beautiful Bleeker & MacDougal

Edited by - lemonade kid on 12/01/2011 18:47:56
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2011 :  22:54:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His only album. He was hit by that CAR while they were shooting the album cover!!
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  16:59:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

His only album. He was hit by that CAR while they were shooting the album cover!!

Ho hum! Indeed that album and his debut with Vince Matin were another of the twofers I bought. Speaking of Fred Neil, has anyone ever heard Eric Andersen's take on 'Other Side of this Life': a bit slower than Fred's original and a funerary march compared to the Airplane's version. Still good though.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  17:54:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Ho hum! Indeed that album and his debut with Vince Matin were another of the twofers I bought. Speaking of Fred Neil, has anyone ever heard Eric Andersen's take on 'Other Side of this Life': a bit slower than Fred's original and a funerary march compared to the Airplane's version. Still good though.

Ol' Eric is one of my favorite Greenwich alum. What are your favorite Andersen albums?
"Bout Changes n' Things
Blue River*****
Stages:The Lost Album
Memory Of The Future
Ghosts Upon The road....

So many great albums and still going!

Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2011 :  20:49:13  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
David Blue's first album ,self-titled, on Electra, is still , one of my favorites!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2011 :  00:13:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bread..their 2nd album On The Waters..

I saw them live with only those first two released and they were an excellent band live. They have a few songs verging on the psychedelic on that LP.

Couldn't find one from On The Waters but this is a good example of how they could rock...MOTHER FREEDOM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkE8jpPMuf8

Do a run thru of the Amazon 30 second clips and you will see they were rocking hard in between the ballads and mixing in a bit of country rock....much more than their radio hits would show.

http://www.amazon.com/Waters-Bread/dp/B000003471

Edited by - lemonade kid on 14/01/2011 00:36:08
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2011 :  04:01:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to hear Gulliver, one of Daryl Hall's first bands

don't believe anything from that (60s?) Elektra album was on the recent 4cd box set of H&O, curiously!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page