Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

christian
First Love

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2010 :  00:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hi,

Has anyone out there heard the Sundazed reissues of the first four Love albums? If so, are they any good? What's the sound quality like and how do they compare against the CD versions?

I've got the CD versions already but imho nothing beats that nice, warm analogue sound.

I've not heard much about the quality of the first album reissue but I noticed on one website that the vinyl for Da Capo was advertised as being taken from the original analogue masters. We all know that this sadly isn't the case with Forever Changes as the masters for that went AWOL a long time ago. Am I correct in thinking that the Sundazed FC vinyl is taken from a digital source?

Also, The quality of the 2001 Elektra CD remaster of Four Sail was terrible. Does anyone know whether the sound is improved on the Sundazed vinyl reissue?

cheers,
Chris

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2010 :  03:22:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by christian

Hi,

Has anyone out there heard the Sundazed reissues of the first four Love albums? If so, are they any good? What's the sound quality like and how do they compare against the CD versions?

I've got the CD versions already but imho nothing beats that nice, warm analogue sound.

I've not heard much about the quality of the first album reissue but I noticed on one website that the vinyl for Da Capo was advertised as being taken from the original analogue masters. We all know that this sadly isn't the case with Forever Changes as the masters for that went AWOL a long time ago. Am I correct in thinking that the Sundazed FC vinyl is taken from a digital source?

Also, The quality of the 2001 Elektra CD remaster of Four Sail was terrible. Does anyone know whether the sound is improved on the Sundazed vinyl reissue?

cheers,
Chris

Sundazed vinyl is fantastic. I only have "ifyoubelievein" by Bryan on Sundazed, but it is amazing, as is just about anything on vinyl. I have all the original Love through "Out Here" on vinyl, and I will always listen to those over the CDs...so yeah, if you can , get the Sundazed vinyl. It is usually heavy, high quality.

I have many other Sundazed albums though, such as Spirit, Moby Grape and a few others. 4MENWITHBEARDS is another great label, as is DCC...I have the reissue of Pet sounds on that.....don't get me going on the merits of vinyl...as you all know here.... I can be tiresome when it comes to vinyl!!

Sundazed Love, yes! Anyone concur?!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 30/10/2010 03:26:01
Go to Top of Page

steve2000
First Love

7 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  15:58:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got Love (debut) on Sundazed vinyl and it is truly AWFUL! It's very muddy and sounds like a cheap 3rd rate "source derived from another source" job. I was originally planning to get Da Capo on Sundazed but will definitely avoid unless others out there have glowing reviews of it over the debut.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  17:12:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve2000

I've got Love (debut) on Sundazed vinyl and it is truly AWFUL! It's very muddy and sounds like a cheap 3rd rate "source derived from another source" job. I was originally planning to get Da Capo on Sundazed but will definitely avoid unless others out there have glowing reviews of it over the debut.

Bummer. Sundazed is usually great but I guess NOT if they have no other source than crappy 2nd or 3rd generation (& beyond).

So if you can get the original vinyl, of course, that is what you want.
As you said...nothing like the original analog on warm vinyl! I have in near mint condition: s/t, Da Capo, FC, Four Sail, Our Here & False Start first pressings---all are awesome!

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find money cannot be eaten.

~ Cree Prophecy
Go to Top of Page

steve2000
First Love

7 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  22:25:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Original Love vinyls are the way for sure! Does anyone have FC in mono and if so does it differ significantly from the stereo mix?
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  23:00:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Original Love vinyls are the way for sure! Does anyone have FC in mono and if so does it differ significantly from the stereo mix?

I have it only on CD...but vinyl or CD, it's a fold down. Not much different sounding than the stereo.

Only after the last tree has been cut down,
Only after the last river has been poisoned,
Only after the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find money cannot be eaten.

~ Cree Prophecy
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2012 :  23:56:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no difference
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  01:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've got Love (debut) on Sundazed vinyl and it is truly AWFUL! It's very muddy and sounds like a cheap 3rd rate "source derived from another source" job.

Compared to what? The original release? Rare for Sundazed to be anything than 'from the original master', in my experience.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  02:54:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
mono Forever Changes

no difference from the stereo
Go to Top of Page

steve2000
First Love

7 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  13:39:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scully

quote:

I've got Love (debut) on Sundazed vinyl and it is truly AWFUL! It's very muddy and sounds like a cheap 3rd rate "source derived from another source" job.

Compared to what? The original release? Rare for Sundazed to be anything than 'from the original master', in my experience.

Compared to the 2001 CD release.
Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  21:36:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by scully

quote:

Compared to the 2001 CD release.

specially since the original FC masters are supposedly lost.
you have to be careful, a lot of these new 'reissues' on vinyl dont sound to good, a lot of them are put out to profit from a new trend.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  14:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forever Changes in mono seems to go for a fortune these days on eBay, although I've never noticed much difference from the stereo on my cdr copy
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page