Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  19:34:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...was one of those "if only" moments. If only Jimi had lived...if only Love was still Love....

I had it on today, without prejudice, while occupying myself with work and was surprised to find it just as enjoyable as any good album in my collection. We set the bar so high with the great FC and early Love that we can't hear the music for what Arthur was attempting. Great music that had my foot tapping......

If for nothing more than to hear Arthur sing in that wonderful voice of his, listen again...."Shine on, Arthur".

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2010 :  22:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LK - it was one of my first Love purchases - back in 1971. I had started with Revisited and then a few weeks later, I bought False Start and Forever Changes on the same day. I can remember reflecting at length on just how the same mind could possibly have been responsible for those latter two. Consequently, I've always had an affection for Love's 1970/71 swansong...and the fact that it was on EMI's Harvest label gave the album additional kudos. This said, when I got round to listening to Four Sail and Out Here a month or two later, both of those records struck me as being much more faithful to the Love sound...especially tracks like I Still Wonder. Two really pleasant tracks from False Start that scarcely ever get a mention are Anytime and Ride That Vibration.

Edited by - John9 on 14/08/2010 22:21:59
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  00:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I know, its just not a good album

Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  03:30:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe, I just heard your version of five string serenade, it brought me to tears!
_________________________________________________________________________________________

GMM. If it aint up, it must be down

Edited by - gatemouthmoore on 15/08/2010 03:37:32
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  04:10:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

To be serious, its a good album, False Start

But I don't listen to it much. Forever Changes is the one. You never tire of hearing that, do you?

Still stunned on this side that an unreleased Syd Barrett song (20 minutes long!) called "Rhamadam" is being released with a new Syd compilation in October. Unbelievable.

Now if they'd only come out with some live Changes band tapes from the Whisky...

Can't believe that noone ever sneaked a reel to reel in to record the band when they were on the Strip
Go to Top of Page

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  18:37:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, as regards the Forever Changes line-up being recorded live at the Whisky, I have to assume that some member on this board is perhaps better acquainted with Neal Skok, (frequently cited in John's book as the source of what would appear to be the best and most revealing Bryan interview ever) than I myself am. It has been at least a decade or so since I last spoke with Neal, but at that time, he was very clear (and believable, as well) about the existance of recordings of the band, at the Whisky,
circa late '67 to early '68. The tape had at one point been in Neal's possession, but had ultimately ended up in the hands of another private collector. I had no reason to question the veracity of Neal's story, but admit that to this day, I remain more than a little stunned that at the insistance of the individual with whom the recording ended up, that Neal himself did not retain a copy. So, does anybody out there know anything more about this story?
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2010 :  22:16:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
oh, was Skok the interviewer for the full interview that appeared in Psychedelic Psounds?

Yeah, I don't expect the live tape will ever turn up. Stupid of that man to pass the live Whisky show without making a back up copy
but I guess it was a condition of the sale?

Not enough interest in Love for there ever to be a release for it. If it was a Syd Barrett track coming out (like the 20 minute Rhamadan, being released in October with a new Syd compilation as a download) there would be a veritable army of Pink Floyd (Sound) fans out there to pick it up

But a live Forever Changes band release.. can't see theres much interest. Can't imagine the most recent releases by Love (Love Lost, Arthur Lee, Whisky)
have exactly hopped off the shelf
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  23:28:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Joe

Doesn't Gilmour own the Syd Barrett catalogue? I read in a magazine that he was on about remixing the back catologue but was unsure about doing it as it might affect the "vibe" (maaannnn) of the orginal recordings and the Syd purists might be annoyed? Not that close to Syd stuff as only actually like listening to it so may be completely on the wrong tracks here.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  23:32:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hes adding bass to a couple tracks (Here I Go, etc)
on the new Syd collection due out in October called
Introduction to Syd Barrett

Don't think he owns Syds songs, though he purchased the rights to the Syd Barretts First Trip dvd
to keep it out of the public domain

Syd owed him a lot I think; probably would've been no solo albums without his perseverance with the diamond. By the time of the 2nd (Barrett) I think Syd wasn't really interested, they had to find him, pick him up to go to the studio and so forth

Gilmour seems to have had "Bob Dylan Blues" but its not sure if he has "Living alone" (also cut during the Barrett sessions). EMI may just have lost the tape
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  23:35:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Syd biography A very irregular head(2010) book review

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLd1Ee0LD4g
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  11:22:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The interesting thing about False Start is that although the album had been deleted in the UK within a year of its release, it seems very difficult to find an unfavourable professional review these days. Here's Allmusic's verdict:

http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:l9txlfje5cqi

I suppose that an additional recommendation is that for well over three decades, it was the only document of Love's historic visit to Europe in 1970. This said, I would still place False Start well behind Out Here....and even further behind the truly vintage Four Sail. To my mind, there's nothing on the record to compare with the musical complexity and subtlety of August and Dream.....or the ethereal beauty of I'm With You and Nothing. Still, it was Love's final album within the 1965-71 continuum and is therefore essential. But it is strange when you think that The Doors signed off in the same year with one of their best.

Edited by - John9 on 17/08/2010 11:36:26
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  17:44:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i,ve never owned this album..heard some of it on OUT HERE and OUT THERE album,s...anyone know where i can get it?
Or even better, anyone want to do me a copy ? and i,ll send you a copy of something in retrurn? Lots of love + Spitit for a start.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  20:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allanagain - it's available in two editions:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/False-Start-Love/dp/B00000I38K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1282069523&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/False-Start-Love/dp/B0016MJ3FE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1282069523&sr=1-2

The first of these has the original gatefold artwork and accurate information about personnel - as well as the date and location of the live track. The second has none of these things - but it does carry some very informative liner notes instead.

Edited by - John9 on 18/08/2010 00:11:17
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  21:30:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Joe Morris

oh, was Skok the interviewer for the full interview that appeared in Psychedelic Psounds?

KD: Correctamundo ! It was his interview.

Yeah, I don't expect the live tape will ever turn up. Stupid of that man to pass the live Whisky show without making a back up copy
but I guess it was a condition of the sale?

KD: It either was or it wasn't and either way he ain't telling !

But a live Forever Changes band release.. can't see theres much interest. /quote]

KD: I'd say there would be some interest in that ! Not Gold Record
interest, but interest none the less

Free the tapes !
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2010 :  23:29:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was Forever Changes ever certified Gold?

always struck me (ow!) that it was one of those albums on the all time best that hadn't really sold too well and no one had really picked up on (only Trout Mask Replica has sold worse, seemingly!

Free the fish
Go to Top of Page

ALLANAGAIN
Old Love

United Kingdom
687 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2010 :  00:13:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THANKS FOR THE INFO. jOHN 9,,,,,LOVE ON YA!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page