New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  18:55:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anyone one see the brilliant American Masters series about Merle Haggard. A legend, and the last artist to still carry the flame for the Bakersfield Sound. After him...it's gone. Jhis sound is a more hard edged blues sounding country, that is as anti modern country music as it gets!...one of the original Outlaw Country boys...and the best.

But when some of us were enjoying our peace, love and psychedelic music, Merle hit us with his "OKIE FROM MUSKOGEE".

That was a battle cry for anti-war activists and drew the line between the two camps...for and against. I must say I was conflicted. I hated Merle for that song, but respected him as an already legendary artist.

Anyone else remember the strong feelings that Merle inflamed in us with "OKIE FROM MUSKOGEE"??

An iconic figure and an iconic song, that still gets me feeling those emotions again...

Peace and Love.

SignedRW
Fifth Love

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  19:08:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pair of pretty entertaining responses to "Okie" from back at the time (as opposed to "back in the day"; sorry, I'm out of the demo for that line, kids), were the Youngbloods release "Hippie From Olema," and the amusing post-Janis Big Brother track, "I'll Change Your Flat Tire, Merle."
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  21:10:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know that was a real conservative song from a conservative guy.
Wonder what the Burritos thought. You know they did his cover respect with their "White Line Fever." It was a pretty mized up time with all battle lines drawn. At the time, I was a city guy and didn't know anything about Okies.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2010 :  22:23:13  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
I remember that record when it was released, and thought, Fcuk Him !
I have later grown to respect and enjoy the man. That song was satire (i think!).
Around the same time, The Byrds were banned from certain country stations for their song, " Drug Store Truck Driving Man", and were snubbed when they did, " Hickory Wind" at the Grand Ole Opry.
I think the hipster country rockers accepted and enjoyed the classic country-western artists, than the other way around.
Pedal steel Bakersfield honky-tonk was a meeting -ground for both sides , and then there was peace happilly ever after!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  15:27:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You got that right. Eventually there was peace in the valley!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  19:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

..... peace in the valley!

Great Rascals song, rocker!

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2010 :  21:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very good lk!

Don't mind me....Peace in the Valley led me to this!....
some probably have this...good record by the way..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKKdaRYJ4XM
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  13:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw Banana with David Nelson a couple of years back relating the saga of Okie/Hippie from Olema - much better than Merle's original. Their acoustic duo spin on it was just perfect.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2010 :  16:07:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by boombox

I saw Banana with David Nelson a couple of years back relating the saga of Okie/Hippie from Olema - much better than Merle's original. Their acoustic duo spin on it was just perfect.

How is good ol' Banana? Was they a better California musical union, for a while, in the Youngbloods. Their first three albums are wonderful, with Elephant Mountain still a favorite!

Go to Top of Page

waxburn
Old Love

USA
735 Posts

Posted - 22/08/2010 :  18:33:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Signed RW

A pair of pretty entertaining responses to "Okie" from back at the time (as opposed to "back in the day"; sorry, I'm out of the demo for that line, kids), were the Youngbloods release "Hippie From Olema," and the amusing post-Janis Big Brother track, "I'll Change Your Flat Tire, Merle."

Kinky Friedman Asshole from El Paso
Go to Top of Page

boombox
Old Love

United Kingdom
548 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2010 :  17:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:
Originally posted by boombox

How is good ol' Banana? Was they a better California musical union, for a while, in the Youngbloods. Their first three albums are wonderful, with Elephant Mountain still a favorite!

Banana seemed fit and well and played and sang great. He gigs regularly with Barry Melton too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page