New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  14:36:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any of you have them? My early lp's are all stereo. I'm thinking on picking up the monos after eharing some of them. thx ahead

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  15:11:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah....I have their first two in mono and they ARE MUSTS!
Also, I have "Younger Than Yesterday" on mono which brings out some of the finest bass lines and drumming in rock history...mono is the only way to hear it at its best.

(you also NEED the DOORS first in mono....one of the clearest examples in the mono vs stereo debate in which mono wins hands down!)

>>>>>Recommended--Does anyone else have either TAMBORINES & 12 STRINGS or SATISFIED MIND-boots of outtakes from the BYRDS' first LPs in 65 66....both are the same except for an added interview on one. It is really great to hear some tracks with just instruments....Roger's 12 string sings, but all are really good.

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  19:19:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ok lk..that's a go..and I have been looking for that mono Doors lp!...all I've seen is stereo..
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  21:38:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

ok lk..that's a go..and I have been looking for that mono Doors lp!...all I've seen is stereo..

It is not cheap....$75-125 for the mono Doors in VG++ to mint.
A VG may not look pretty but will play fine usually if there aren't many scratches. Keep an eye on ebay, but that one is in demand so you won't find a steal.

A record shop find with a bad cover or lots of sleeve scuffs would help reduce the price. Sleeve scuffs rarely affect play but they do affect the price a lot! I found a mono Surrealistic Pillow that has really ugly sleeve scuffs but plays like a mint copy....so it went for $20--a steal.

(0ne more that is a must is Electric Music For The Mind and Body in mono)

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  21:53:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to the record store this weekend. I'll see what he has. You want me to look for anything special? Maybe some old Robert Johnson recordings, eh???????........
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2010 :  23:20:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I notice that the first eight Dylan albums (down to and including John Wesley Harding)are to be given mono CD releases very shortly. EMI really started something last September! I'm sure it will happen for The Byrds too eventually....I think I'm right in saying that everything down to Dr Byrds and Mr Hyde was originally released in mono....at least in the UK. And don't forget these two UK only vinyl collections of The Byrds original singles ...they're both in mono.....and they were first opportunity many of us had to listen to Why (the flipside of Eight Miles High):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Original_Singles:_1965%E2%80%931967,_Volume_1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Original_Singles:_1967%E2%80%931969,_Volume_2

Edited by - John9 on 07/08/2010 00:47:12
Go to Top of Page

ed the bear
Fourth Love

USA
215 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2010 :  08:27:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's interesting is some years ago, I bought the CD of "Original Singles" -- same cover art and everything as what John linked to -- specifically for the single version of "Why" because my single of "Eight Miles High" was long gone. But on the CD version, at least the US release, they had the "Younger than Yesterday" version of "Why." I was kind of disappointed, to say the least.
I remember the stereo LP of "Younger than Yesterday" had a bad recording of "Everybody's Been Burned," a fraction-of-a-second dropout in that beautiful guitar solo, that wasn't on the single or the mono LP. Another disappointment. I wish I still had that mono LP. But the re-mastered CD, while stereo, ain't bad.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  09:27:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes Ed - I was caught out by the CD edition of Original Singles as well. I note that Columbia never got round to giving a CD release to Volume 2 - perhaps that's just as well!

Edited by - John9 on 08/08/2010 11:22:26
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  14:12:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went back to my collection and saw that all of my Byrds albums were in stereo. I hope that what john said will happen to Dylan records will also happen to the Byrds. The monos I think really punch out their sound which makes it so alive.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  16:37:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

I went back to my collection and saw that all of my Byrds albums were in stereo. I hope that what john said will happen to Dylan records will also happen to the Byrds. The monos I think really punch out their sound which makes it so alive.

A mono Byrds box and Dylan box....as well done as the Beatles box? It is rare to find such a perfect and well done box set as the Beatles mono box.....there are usually complaints. Of course it took them a while to finally get it right, but Parlophone/Apple finally did!

Buffalo Springfield sadly still hasn't gotten it right, with all three albums reproduced in their entirety and a couple bonus discs with all the other tracks that are floating around such as the Stampede "album". ....with both the mono and stereo mixes of the first two LPs. All in a faux buffalo hide (with fringe) box! Wouldn't it be nice!

Which brings me to a mono Beach Boys box...that is too obvious since the stereo versions of early Beach Boys were re-channeled messes--right up through Pet Sounds, Wild Honey, and Smiley Smile.

Of course, not many bands can justify such extravagance....Beatles sold out before it was released....I doubt even the BYRDS or Beach Boys would sell any where near enough-- but a limited edition like the LOVE box is reasonable. LOVE is unknown to the music world in general, yet sold well enough.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 09/08/2010 17:43:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page