New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  15:53:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always wanted to be a DJ...you know-play tunes that turn me on that would hopefully turn others on. I do believe in Karma, and for whatever reason, it just wasn't meant to be.

However, at my ripe young age of 61, I have now become certified to instruct indoor cycling (spin) at my gym. I do this twice a week now, and soon it will be three times a week. So now I've become a pseudo-DJ in that I must prepare a set list of music for about an hour of different songs choreographed to different routines.

I always include at least one LOVE song into every set-list. I will be using "August" in my next set-list as this a great song for running in seated, position 2, then position 3, changing to the different positions every 15 seconds throughout the song. ( I guess you'd have to know spin jargon to understand that last sentence .) Several up-beat LOVE songs (7 and 7 is, You I'll be Following, Bummer in the Summer are perfect for flat out racing routines, where I shout out "we're on the flat, the Finish Line is 1 mile away, we're in 7th place, and we need to race as quickly as we can in like resistance 4 (out of 10) to finally take the lead and win the race"-as we eventually overtake the 6 ahead of us and become the 'World Champion'

Since I tend to play songs that I enjoy from my time, no-one else in my classes have a clue what those songs are, where they're from, or what they're about. Most members in the class are much younger and prefer the newer stuff, which of course I don't know and don't really care about. It's very odd for them to hear songs from The Stooges, Hendrix, Rory Gallagher, 13th Floor Elevators, Ultimate Spinach, The Yardbirds, The Velvet Underground, Ten Years After, Paul Revere and the Raiders, The Beau Brummels, The Great Society, etc.

One female actually said to me "Wow man, I won't come to any more of your classes because I feel like I'm smoking 'weed', yet others have told me that they have never heard my music before, but the songs I choose match the beat for the routine I'm using for that particular song, and that works for them.

I do put much thought into the songs I choose for my classes. So in a way, I am fulfilling a long overdue desire of playing 'my music' to albeit a select audience.

I'm having so much fun doing this

Allan

Edited by - Allan on 13/04/2010 15:58:28

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  21:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great, Allan. I wish your class was near here! Sounds like a great trip!!

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  01:36:21  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
Allan....way to go!!! enlighten those dimwits!
"... like, ...i dont know those songs and i never hear it on tv and my ipod and those american idols never sing that stuff, and i cant dance to that.....theyre not as good as coldplay or sting and ....you dont play anything i know!

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  19:43:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great Allan! A dream in action; I like that. I'm 63 and Fred Astair in top hat and tails was who I wanted to be, then Elvis, then all of the Beatles, etc., etc. Now I manage a residential hotel, and play guitar up in the penthouse, alone on the weekends. The dellusions of grandeur couldn't be better though; I'm great! :)

All misspellings are purposeful...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2010 :  14:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hey Allan i have to say what you're now doing is mind of making me think of what my "next act" is going to be after I kind of wind down my workin' life!! I like your "act"! Just one thing are you only playing rock for them? But i'm figuring that cycling maybe doesn't lend itself other genres!! So gon let'em cycle to "Going Up the Country!"...Happy cyclin' kid.....btw can you suggest a treadmill brand for me??!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2010 :  23:32:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
rocker

Indoor cycling is primarily a cardio exercise. I really enjoy working my heart. It makes me feel young and strong. Secondarily, cycling is a strength building exercise...albeit from the hips down. As with most things, training leads to endurance. I work my classmates pretty hard. I usually burn between 800 and 850 calories per class. For every minute of cycling, you should consume one ounce of water. I'm usually soaking wet with perspiration by the end of class (generally 55 minutes).

Spinning and swimming are considered non-impact exercises. I actually have a bad knee (torn meniscus about 35 years ago. Health care was only beginning to catch it's stride, and so my treatment was the removal of the meniscus, rather than today where it is repaired by arthroscopic surgery.) I have a giant Frankenstein scar on my right knee .

I really can't recommend a brand of treadmill. But I do know that you should get one that has some bounce when you're stepping. That's a little less impact on your knees.

BTW-the best way to lose weight is spinning along with a good diet. I've lost over 50 pounds in the past year. I weigh 158 now...haven't weighed that since I was 35 years old. I've been spinning for 6 years, but really got way into it this past year, when I decided I wanted to be an instructor.

I inspire my classmates when I tell them "I'm 61 and can do this and you're all younger...so come on and tuff it out"

A.

Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2010 :  14:07:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
allan...very good..from your remarks I just may look into into indoor cycling rather than the treadmill. Like you I've had my knee ills with arthro on both knees (all that tennis, basketball, football etc that I'm kind of paying the price for..alot of times it was usually played on concrete not grass) ..good luck w your cycling..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page