Re My Diary on new Hendrix release
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2010 :  23:31:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was reading in Rolling Stone recently about "My Diary" coming out on new Hendrix release (box set?) put out by Experience Hendrix
that will come out later this year

jazmaan
Fifth Love

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  08:21:58  Show Profile  Visit jazmaan's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Last time I checked 45 single of "My Diary" in the Jimi Hendrix exhibit was the only mention of Arthur Lee in the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland.
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2010 :  21:53:37  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My experience of RRHF too. I called the work colleagues I was with (we'd jumped ship on a microsoft trip)- made them all look at Arthur's name. (one thought it was alvin lee, sigh)

I felt better. wish I'd taken a photo.

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2010 :  21:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I recently talked with a guy who worked with Arthur right before his passing, and the subject of the RRHoF came up, and he said something along the lines of Arthur telling a tale of how he pissed off one of the main board members which is why he may not get in anytime soon.

The RRHoF is the worst joke of them all, in fact I would like to personally own it one day and disassemble it. Its an insult in my eyes to many great musicians, and fans alike.

Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  02:05:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
anyone have any hard info on any Hendrix releases coming out later this year?

I'm wondering if "My diary" is gonna be on a multidisc set

I understand Hendrixs most recent release made the top 5 on Billboard or something
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  11:27:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The new Hendrix knocked off Lady Gaga as a matter of fact. I listened to the entire album on Lala.com, it was alright. Nothing amazing in my book, it felt a lot like the other posthumus Hendrix albums.
Go to Top of Page

kdion11
Old Love

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2010 :  20:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

Was reading in Rolling Stone recently about "My Diary" coming out on new Hendrix release (box set?) put out by Experience Hendrix
that will come out later this year

KD: Will be interesting to see what the songwriting credit
says.

Free the authors !
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2010 :  14:21:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I feel I should get a credit!

Me and Alvin Lee!!
Go to Top of Page

shetjoy
First Love

2 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  05:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm really excited about this one. Valleys of Neptune was disappointing, in my opinion, but then again I already had most of the material on various bootlegs. However, seeing "My Diary" released worldwide on a major label will be great and hopefully open new minds to the fantastic music of Arthur Lee & Love.

According to the Rolling Stone article, "My Diary" will be featured on a multidisc anthology of rare and unheard music.

It goes on to say, "Like the mid-nineties Beatles Anthology CD's, the Hendrix set 'will feature unreleased or commercially unavailable music, pulling it together in a cohesive way... You get to hear "My Diary" [a 1964 single made with Rosa Lee Brooks] to "Black Gold" and some of the demos Jimi was working on before his death."
Go to Top of Page

gatemouthmoore
Fourth Love

202 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  08:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reality check! If the music of Arthur Lee and Love is judged by "My Diary" then not only will they not gain new fans, they may in fact lose many of those who have recently been introduced to their music. I would rather put "It's the Marlin" on my turntable, than the trite crap called "My Diary!"

GMM
Go to Top of Page

shetjoy
First Love

2 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  17:18:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I certainly can't argue with you on that one. But any mention of Arthur Lee is better than none. I'm hoping the liner notes to the anthology comment on who Arthur Lee was and what he accomplished with Love, while noting that "My Diary" is only significant because of Jimi's involvement.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2010 :  17:52:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Could be worse

Imagine if you had to judge LoVE's legacy by Smack Dab's cover of "Bummer in the summer" (ouch!)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page