Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

chris utter
First Love

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  02:05:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Dear Friends,

I apologise for this brief report. Unfortunately the key word on Jay's progress is "DELAYED". He didn't know that to transfer monies from PayPal into his bank account would take 5 working days! He doesn't have a regular bank either, it's an ETrade market account. And that will only allow a withdrawal of $1,000 a day. So, after paying for most of the different components of the surgery he was short about $2,000 to give them on the spot, so they cancelled.

(Several of you asked if we were sure that PayPal was the fastest way, and I pressed Jay a bit to make sure. He assured me, given his situation, location and type of bank account, that it was.)

Before anybody gets upset, Jay had his wife there fighting for him in native tongue and they both investigated any possible way to get the money out quicker, but there is no way. I asked why he didn't call and someone could have lent a credit card number or wired money directly and he said that wouldn't have worked due to hospital policy and the way his banking is set up. That's a head scratcher to me, but the time has passed now and he just has to wait until next Monday for the surgery. This being Easter week it has complicated everything from banking work days to scheduling. It is madening to say the least.

He's tired and frustrated as you can well imagine, but he also sounds pissed and ready to do it, so there is no sign of giving up or anything. I think he'll be ok. Just needs to rest until next Monday.

He is exhausted, so he was going to wait until after his surgery to thank everyone properly. But I will tell you now that he is really deeply touched and thankful and the money that poured in is still the saving factor for him to even be in this position to get the surgery.

I'm sorry I don't have more to report. I've been calling him regularly since Sunday. This is the first time I got a call back.

I will report again when I learn anything more.

Thank You all again for your generosity and care.

Warm Regards,

Tony

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2010 :  02:59:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
why not just get a Paypal debit card or something?

Go to Top of Page

chris utter
First Love

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2010 :  06:05:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I received this e-mail from Tony today.

Dear Friends & Family of Jay,

Sorry everyone. I can't give alot of detail at this time, but several
people have been asking, so the quick bottom line is this - Jay is now
having his surgery this Friday evening. All is well. His money is
secured, the surgeon is finally secured and the date is set in stone.
What Jay has been put through by the crazy way things function down
there is unbelievable. But he has good advocates living with him and
taking care of things.

There is no other way for him in his situation right now to get this
done any quicker. Several scenarios have been suggested and looked
into, this is the best way, as bumpy as it has been. Suffice it to
say, Jay had to secure the date and principle surgeon and attendant
personel via his attorney! He was still getting the "non national"
treatment even after paying most of the bill up front.

It's all going forward now. Friday evening is the surgery time. He
said he would contact me as soon as he was able, and I promise to send
out a report asap. My apologies for this current delay in reporting,
but things were changing daily and I didn't want to send out another
hopeful but erroneous update.

In future news, Jay has looked into and is in the process of securing
a new doctor in the "American" zone who will be addressing the
immediate diagnosis and treatment issue of the possible connection of
the Cerebral Vasculitis that took poor Annie's life. I believe he
might already be on certain medication used to treat CV.

Also, he has been securing a new living situation that looks
comfortable and reasonable for his recovery.

Thanks again to all for your generosity and care.

Hugs from Jay,

Tony
Go to Top of Page

chris utter
First Love

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  16:44:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I received the below e-mail information from Tony yesterday. It appears that Jay has had his surgery, and that he is doing well. I have not spoken with Jay as of late, but I plan to asap and will inform all of you when I do & just what he has to say to myself & to you.

Hi All,

I just spoke with Jarret, Jay's son, and Jay had left a message that
he got through the surgery ok, but was headed back to the hospital to
take care of some staff infection. Something he gets every time he
enters a hospital there. He even expected it to happen again.

I have been trying to reach Jay every day since last Sunday, but this
is the first word I've recieved. Nothing more in way of details, just
that Jarret said he sounded ok on the voice message. And now he's back
in hospital to clear up the infection.

I'll send more when I hear anything.

Hope all is well with everyone.

-Tony
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2010 :  22:06:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Chris.

I will listen to Morning and think of Jay!

Best wishes!

chris utter
First Love

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  17:32:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I received this from Tony on Sunday. Looks like Jay is doing much better, but has a long way to go.

A sincere thanks to all of you for helping Jay in his time of need. As soon as I speak with him, I'll post here to let you all know.

Very sorry this is late in getting out. I've been over occupied for
the last two weeks with a number of things. Apologies...

I spoke with Jarret several days ago and he got a short message from
Jay saying all was well. He returned home from the second hospital
visit to clear up the infection he contracted during the neck surgery.
Everything is good. He is heading into what will probably be a slow
recovery period.

From what little he said to Jarret the surgery went fine and
according to plan. So thanks all of you for helping make this happen.

I'll send more info when I hear from Jay.

Stay Healthy,

Tony
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  21:07:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks Chris - this is great news indeed.
Go to Top of Page

chris utter
First Love

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2010 :  19:04:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I received this information concerning Jay on Friday. Just the fact that he's back in the U.S. is encouraging, treatment wise. I plan on visiting him near the end of this week, and I'll be glad to post on this thread more information, which I'm sure will be positive.

Please feel free to e-mail myself. I'll be glad to inform anyone just what I find out, and the future progress and answer any questions you may have. Again, thanks to all of you who were able to help. It made a major difference, and more than likely saved his life.

Subject: Jay Update 6/4/10

Hi All - Sorry again for such a delayed update. Many of you have been wondering how it's going with Jay. Well, it's been a wild month or so. Jay is now in Granada Hills at Magnolia Gardens, a skilled nursing facility (details below)...

In brief - he basically escaped from Costa Rica, was given an overdose of pain medication by a flight attendant, and the airline left him sitting in a wheelchair in the Denver Airport. He was discovered there several hours later, incoherent and having seizures and was rushed to a hospital where, at first, they thought he was a drug addict. His son Jarret went to Denver and brought him back to L.A. where he managed to get Jay admitted into Cedars Sinai Hospital. It was due to Jarret's fast thinking and brave insistance that Jay was accepted as a patient. I believe Wendy, Jay's daughter was also closely involved at the scene. Jay's sisters and Jarret's wife also, were instrumental in pulling this "flight from Costa Rica" off successfully. If I left anyone out PLEASE forgive me. (I feel like a reporter who didn't take very good notes)

Since Jay secured his disability status when he left the States years ago, he recently discovered he does have Medicare part A and his stay at Cedars is covered by that. With the help of his family I believe he is in process of getting Medical and will have at least three months of rehab and therapy covered. This according to the doctors at Cedars is what he needs and will bring back his mobility and use of his arms and legs.

The doctors said while the operations he had in Costa Rica looked "unusual", they felt that they were solid and he would heal after lots of therapy and rehab. Also, he had a full bank of tests including numerous and very in depth MRI's, CAT scans etc., looking to clear him of other problems including the Cerebral Vasculitis that poor Annie suffered and died from. Apparently Jay has no evidence of this condition. His seizures are still puzzling to the doctors at Cedars but they have engaged a psychologist to investigate Jay's history with traumas and other relevant issues.

Jay has been through hell in these last few months. He did have the necessary surgery follow up to his first neck surgery. And there was a third neck surgery to correct things AND then a back surgery. All made possible by the generosity of all those who donated.

There is a much deeper and longer story to this, but I think Jay needs to tell it himself and is already making plans to put it down in words. The other day I told him to stop and just let me know when the film is coming out. It's that wild, and continues, except that he is now here in safety and in good hands.

His Skype number is the same 310-928-3778. He has a new cell phone 818-431-7611. He is starting to use a small pc for Skype, but isn't capable of typing much so he can't really function in email too well. I'm sure family and visitors will be helping him with that when they're near by. His email is donnellansouth@hotmail.com.

Here is the info for the rehab facility:

Magnolia Gardens 17922 San Fernando Mission Blvd. , Granada Hills CA 91344. Visiting Hours: 11:00 AM - 8:00 PM. Phone: (818) 360-1864

I'm sure Jay would welcome some phone calls and maybe a visit in a while when he gathers some strength.

I'm sorry to keep some of you waiting as I haven't answered your emails in a very timely manner, but things have been quite busy for me during this time.

I hope all is well for everyone. Jay says HI !!!!!!!!

-Tony

Go to Top of Page

chris utter
First Love

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  23:29:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Sorry that it has taken me so long to post, but as it turned out, it was smarter to let Jay do what he needed to do in the Granada Hills Hospital, without limited visitors.

He has moved to Rehabilitation Hospital in Downey, California. 30 minutes driving time from me. This is of course a good sign. I met with him this last Saturday for 3 1/2 hours. He seems to be in really good spirits and looks forward to his rehabilitation. He also wants to thank all of you that helped and supported him through some very tough times. As soon as he is able, he plans to thank all of you personally.

If you would like to write to Jay, please see his current address below. I know that he would really Love this, and it would serve as a great encouragement to him. He has lost some use of his hands, but he is working daily to resolve this problem. He is still having very uncontrolled and painfull night spasm's along with a few other issues, but a full recovery is expected in due time.

If you would like to write him, here is his address:

Jay Donnellan
Rancho Los Amigos National Rehabilitation Center
7601 E. Imperial Highway
Room 3054
Downey, California. 90242.

I will post again after I visit with him this Saturday. Please feel free to e-mail myself if you have any questions that I might be able to help with or relay to Jay for you. Also, my Cell # is: 949-910-8852.

Again, Jay thanks all of you. Things could have been much worse without you.

Chris Utter
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  00:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks ever so much for this update, Chris....I shall certainly be dropping Jay a line. It is so encouraging to see that he is fighting back from such a difficult illness.

Edited by - John9 on 04/08/2010 00:12:18
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2010 :  01:09:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
how does someone not have a bank account?
Go to Top of Page

chris utter
First Love

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  03:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I received this e-mail from Tony today.

Dear Friends,

Jay is now living and rehabing in Puerto Vallarta with some good friends. He is with a musician/nurse couple and is in very good hands. He's getting stronger and gaining some mobility. He has access to a pool nearby for therapy and is also getting accupuncture and other worthwhile treatments.

His benefits ran out in California and this move was his best choice. He's happy and knows it was the right move.

The most amazing thing of all is that it seems he has stumbled on to a treatment and cure for his mysterious seizures, which, as you know, were the root cause of the broken neck and all the chaos that followed. For some time now (I know he mentioned this to me years ago) he has been complaining and quietly battling what he thought was a tropical fungus or something with peeling skin etc.

Since he's been in Mexico he wanted to start dealing with all these seemingly smaller ailments and, of course, the big one being the seizures. He went in to a clinic to have this skin problem looked at and the very astute doctor wanted to do a proper culture to find out exactly what it was. Turns out it's a very rare mold (sorry I didn't get the name) and since it's been on his face for so long has invaded his brain, and in fact, that happens to be one of it's very serious common symptoms. The doctor said what they were giving him in Costa Rica was basically useless against this mold. There is only one medication that will be effective and she prescribed it. It's very powerful and is taken in a 5 day dose and then 30 days off.

When I spoke with Jay he was on his 5th day and had not had one seizure since starting the medication! He said even on the first night he slept like a baby. First time in years. He was a little apprehensive about the upcoming 30 days with no medication, but was hoping for the best. The doc said it was curable and that it was common for it to take a while, even up to a year, but at this rate Jay is feeling pretty good about it.

The cause of the mold is still mysterious, but she said it was not a tropical fungus and could have started years earlier. The reason they didn't catch this when Jay was at Cedars is simply because it was so far off the track of what they would normally look for, including what Annie died of. It took a culture of jays skin to find this rare mold.

Jay sends his greetings and thanks to everyone. He promises a personal email to eveyone when he can manage, which might be a while still, but he was once again overwhelmed with gratitude to all who have helped him in what ever ways you have. He really feels like you saved his life.

That's it for now. I will send another report when I can.

Thanks All!

Tony & Jay

Jay's info:

Jay Donnellan <donnellansouth@hotmail.com>

Skype number - 310-928-3778

Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2010 :  23:47:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for this again, Chris. As you've said, Jay knows that he's in our thoughts and prayers.........but if you can, please remind him anyway. Cheers

Edited by - John9 on 27/10/2010 23:50:44
Go to Top of Page

Denny Bohn
First Love

2 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2011 :  14:32:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am an old friend of Jay's from the '60s. I don't have an internet connection but I recently had an opportunity to use the net and while surfing for old friends came across the story of Jay's troubles. Can someone let me know if he's alright, or Jay, if you're there send me an e-mail. Although I don't have a connection I'll get to a computer and check for an answer. My address is chaioz@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  16:17:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Denny...as you can see, we did receive some updates last year from Chris Utter regarding Jay. But it has been quite some time now since I heard from him. I do hope that they are both alright....and that you're able to get back in touch with Jay, somehow.

Edited by - John9 on 27/01/2011 16:24:58
Go to Top of Page

torben
Fifth Love

Denmark
328 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2011 :  22:34:55  Show Profile  Visit torben's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Jay Donnellan Medical Fund:http://apps.facebook.com/fundrazr/activity/a33ed2b2dbb44038bdbdef7a3a8dfdb2
Jay is currently in the need for financial assistance with medical treatments learning to move again and for caregivers and medicines, wheelchair and transportation to medical clinics.
Jay has no insurance or ways of making an income as a musician/sound engineer at the moment.
His neck is much better and he is progressing albeit very slowly in his mobility.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page