Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  19:56:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I am such a Johnny-Come-Lately. I just realized that Jimi's Stone Free is owed something by Arthur's Product of the Times. When Jimi says "Got ta, Got ta, Got ta get away" it reminds me of when Arthur says "You are just product of the times! You are just a product!".

I think we already knew that Arthur's White Dog (from Vindicator) owed a little something to Foxey Lady.

Its just that since I am probably the only person on this board who had until a few weeks ago never listened to the entire Hendrix catalogue. So for me some things are a bit of a revelation. I have purposely stayed away from Jimi for years.

Somethimes it kind of be that way when you are a black dude that loves rock music LOL. Some of you know what I mean.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2010 :  22:00:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ThomasGalasso

I am such a Johnny-Come-Lately. I just realized that Jimi's Stone Free is owed something by Arthur's Product of the Times. When Jimi says "Got ta, Got ta, Got ta get away" it reminds me of when Arthur says "You are just product of the times! You are just a product!".

I think we already knew that Arthur's White Dog (from Vindicator) owed a little something to Foxey Lady.

Its just that since I am probably the only person on this board who had until a few weeks ago never listened to the entire Hendrix catalogue. So for me some things are a bit of a revelation. I have purposely stayed away from Jimi for years.

Somethimes it kind of be that way when you are a black dude that loves rock music LOL. Some of you know what I mean.

Hey, Thomas.....I remember a few years back when I brought my mint FC vinyl, I had just found, into a friend's record shop; and while discussing Arthur, a young black dude came over and asked if he could see the precious album..he just wanted to hold it in his hands.

This must have been in '98 or so...it was so great to see this guy gushing over Arthur and Love....maybe he's finally getting some recognition as a great black artist, who didn't have to sing r&b, soul or rap to get any kudos from the black community. Do you find any of your friends finally coming over to Arthur's camp or is it just you, alone, trying to convince these guys just how great Arthur was?!!

ANd Jimi was saddened he could get no recognition from the black community in his day...although a good friend of mine, a fine jazz rock guitarist, who happened to black, just loved him and actually turned me onto Electric Ladyland back in the 60's.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 12/03/2010 22:05:35
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  01:40:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Electric Landlady a good album?

haven't really heard too much Jimi aside from what he played with Love (mostly unreleased!
Go to Top of Page

oliviareeves
First Love

7 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  10:24:12  Show Profile  Visit oliviareeves's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I agree with Joe that Electric Landlady was amazing.. i too loved it

http://www.isisandosiris.com/
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  17:21:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
never heard Electric Landlady. The only cd I've heard by Jimi is the Radio One album (Rykodisc?)
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2010 :  22:44:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joe Morris

never heard Electric Landlady. The only cd I've heard by Jimi is the Radio One album (Rykodisc?)

Electric Ladyland is one of the top 60's LPs ....of all time
...Joe you gotta hear it!

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2010 :  23:42:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

In recent years I have noticed that Arthur is getting a little bit more recognition amongst black people as a sort of great unrecognized artist. I still find more people who know Shuggie Otis than Arthur Lee. He has gained some steam I think because of the whole "Afro Punk" movement, and also bands like TV On the Radio, and to a lesser extent Apollo Heights gaining momentum.

Lee for the most part is still a great conversation piece. Its going to happen when Waxpoetics does the issue that brings him to the attention of the DJs and funk night kids. Its been a slow process but I have been doing a lot to push Arthur in terms of people that I know or meet.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  13:22:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well here's the thing I don't get. Take Sly. I think he was pretty popular wiht both blacks and whites. If Arthur is only gettimg recognition with blacks now, why did he not get it earlier say like Sly who had "cross-over" appeal? What do you think blacks were reacting to back then..Arthur as personality or Arthur's say "hippie West coast" music which differed pretty much from mainstream black music at the time?? But on the other hand with Arthur's lyrics you can hear his concerns with racial tension and war, topics that affected blacks in their communites.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  16:51:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Well Rocker, I have had this conversation with many people. The whole Sly-Arthur duality. Thing is Sly was a part of a then major label, and he sold tons of records. Arthur didn't do so. Elektra was essentially an indie until The Doors blew up. Arthur didn't play Woodstock, nor did he do Ed Sullivan, nor did he do Monterrey Pop.

Add that, to the fact that Sly made so many genre crossovers on one album that it appealed to the black person who was still into their soul music, or the white person that wanted a more psychedelic feel. Sly would go both places on the same record, or even the same song.

Arthur Lee would be unfortunately lumped up with Jimi Hendrix before he would Sly, despite the fact that he is a bridge between both artists in my mind. Arthur didn't allow himself to be pushed into true superstardom and from what I know of the masses they like to be spoonfed. So if they haven't already heard of Mr. Lee then they are not too interested. Black and white alike.

Also, I feel like Arthur was a little too macabre to really go over too well in the black musical community at that time.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  18:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thomas..

That was insightful on Sly. I can see that now. For me, that whole scene that Arthur was in was so different I think from what went before. It's funny that when they described the band it was as an "integrated" band. With that, it seem to amke it as if blacks and whites never played together at all in American musical historyor something. Saying that now in my opinion I'd think that if Arthur played strictly say jazz, be-bop, r&b, soul music, the black community would have concentrated on him a little more. But he went that so-called "hippie" way which took blacks into another area which was worlds away from their daily view of what the world was like back then. Just because it was all "flower power" at the time, we still had alot of trouble getting our act together between whites, blacks, reds, etc fill in your colors.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2010 :  19:50:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I get a bit confused by that-- about LoVE being the first integrated band...
I guess it is about being a "rock" band. Love wasn't even Elektra's
FIRST integrated band.....

The Butterfield Blues Band (signed to Elektra before LoVE) had a couple
great black artists, but since it was fronted by a white dude, it
doesn't count ?? and wasn't as much of a risk for Elektra.

But wow! What a band! With Butterfield, Mike Bloomfield, Elvin
Bishop...no wonder Dylan enlisted them to back him at the infamous
Newport Festival & Bloomfield on Hwy 61 Revisited! A favorite LP was 69's "Keep On Moving".

Edited by - lemonade kid on 15/03/2010 20:17:07
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  13:22:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always wondered why they brought that "integrated" stuff up in the first place. I think whoever started that line just didn't see enough of black and white musicians where they came from.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  17:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

I always wondered why they brought that "integrated" stuff up in the first place. I think whoever started that line just didn't see enough of black and white musicians where they came from.

I agree, rocker.....it never occurred to me--just a group of great musicians!
But the times were different and I can see how it was a risk in some circles.

The long hair/hippie aspect caused them more grief than the integrated aspect--from what I've read by Michael, etc. The integrated/prejudice/anger might cause less sales in certain locales like the South, but as Michael was from Texas, he obviously didn't have any hang-ups himself!
No denying the times but that was just against black dudes -PERIOD.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2010 :  19:44:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here's the thing. When it came to Hendrix well I don't know about anybody else but I really never heard the word "integrated" associated with him and his bands. I don't know maybe it was because I was here in the East or whatever. I tell you when people looked at 'Love' they apparently had a different frame of ref so to speak.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  01:01:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Another thing that makes Love stand out, and especially during that era is that Arthur was the musical focal point of the band. How many bands in those days had a black lead singer?

Most of those other groups, the black members were sidemen playing bass, or guitar or drums but not the centerpiece like Mr. Lee. Love would have been sold on the merits of Arthur much like The Doors used Jim Morrison as their poster boy.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2010 :  23:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ANd then another favorite band--The Chambers Brothers--all black dudes and ONE white guy!
The time has come today!!

Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page