Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Love / Arthur Lee
 General Discussions about Arthur Lee and Love
 Arthur's favourite song?......... Andmoregain!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2009 :  22:48:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I offer this thread in the hope that cordiality might soon return to our board. That way I would think that more of us would feel like contributing again......and so feel fully part of one of the best discussion forums once more.

Sometime in the mid 90s, when his wife Linda was still alive, Paul McCartney was interviewed on David Frost's Sunday morning news programme. Sir David asked the former Beatle whether he had a favourite song. McCartney initially replied that, as with children, you shouldn't really have favourite songs. But then he added that Here, There and Everywhere had a special meaning for him - an excellent choice in my view.

I first heard Andmoreagain on Love Revisited and it was that track more than any other on that great compilation that really grabbed me. Not only did the song have such an original and beautifully crafted melody, Arthur's superb tenor voice showed what an amazing vocal range he had. The reason why I think it might have been Arthur's favourite was that it seems to have been the only ever present Forever Changes song in Love's repertoire for virtually the whole of the 70s. March 7, 1970 was of course Arthur's 25th birthday.... and on that night Love were playing the University of Sheffield following a late change of venue. Immediately after Andmoregain Arthur announced to the audience, how much that song in particular meant to him. Of course...........I could be wrong.

Edited by - John9 on 17/10/2009 23:43:19

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  00:18:39  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You may well be correct, it is a beautiful song and, whenever I heard it live, always beautifully sung with great feeling.
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  00:23:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting theory.

I have a live performance of Love from 1974 or 1975 at the Electric Gardens in Scotland where Arthur is saying that the song is "not called Anne Morgan! Its AND-MORE-A-GAIN".

That was kind of a funny moment, but that could be true.

I know for myself personally, I have no favorite song. There are too many.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  00:53:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me, Andmoreagain does what certain classical pieces are capable of doing....it touches the soul....and I'm blessed if I know why. The lyrics seem indecipherable and surreal...but if anything, that merely adds to the song's power. It's almost like listening to one of Handel's arias....and being moved to tears without knowing what the words mean. I've mentioned before that on the bridge in Your Mind and We - where Arthur sings "So many people.......", I think he sounds rather like an opera singer.

Edited by - John9 on 18/10/2009 01:08:18
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  01:31:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I am beginning to get a little older, and I have been listening to more classical, and jazz, I can definitely appreciate Andmoreagain, You Set the Scene, and Old Man a lot better than previously.

It is very delicate and extremely deep music. The older I get the more I marvel at what an accomplishment all of those songs were at such an age and during such an era.
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  09:36:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a beautiful song, and I think (that means it's just my opinion) slightly unusual in the context of Arthur's other Forever Changes songs in that it seems to have a certain purity of emotion, a pure outpouring of total love for someone/something with none of the darkness of the other songs on FC. I also think it shows some of Bryan's influence on Arthur, in that respect.
Go to Top of Page

johnbhoy
Second Love

46 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  13:34:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's all in the whimsical almost musing intro, an inspired piece of music

Lisbon 1967
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2009 :  23:09:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scully,

I agree, I do feel that Bryan's influences are imprinted all over Forever Changes. I have this theory that Arthur listened to the major seventh chords prevalent in Bryan's work, incorporated them into his own skewed vision and Forever Changes was the resultant work. Andmoreagain which is a beautiful song is a key example of this

Go to Top of Page

jayson_valentine
Third Love

USA
72 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  02:52:43  Show Profile  Visit jayson_valentine's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The sweet disorder

Scully,

I agree, I do feel that Bryan's influences are imprinted all over Forever Changes. I have this theory that Arthur listened to the major seventh chords prevalent in Bryan's work, incorporated them into his own skewed vision and Forever Changes was the resultant work. Andmoreagain which is a beautiful song is a key example of this

You're right on the money. Bryan's jazz influence are easily identifible on FC. The first usages of the major seventh by Love are in "Softly to Me" & "Orange Skies", both MacLean's compositions.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  14:58:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And I'd think Bryan's musical sensibility also came out in Da Capo. There are some great melodies in there that I think just have Bryan's stamp on them. But I'm not sure how Bryan and Arthur "collaborated" when they wrote the songs.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2009 :  16:22:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

And I'd think Bryan's musical sensibility also came out in Da Capo. There are some great melodies in there that I think just have Bryan's stamp on them. But I'm not sure how Bryan and Arthur "collaborated" when they wrote the songs.

I don't know if they collaborated in the sit-down-together sense, but remember Bryan's liner notes for ifyoubelievein...he said he would be sitting around playing all those unique chord progressions and Arthur would be hanging around the house just picking up on them and later incorporating them into his own songs.

Always better together than apart...even if it was just through osmosis.

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2009 :  17:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, that looks like they way they did it. Lennon/McCartney...Lee/Maclean...yin and yangs all.."complementary opposites" (got that from wiki) seem to stir the best drinks, eh???
Go to Top of Page

ThomasGalasso
Old Love

USA
712 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2009 :  22:52:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

It would have been interesting to see Bryan and Arthur's musical sensibilities in the studio again during the 70's. I would imagine Bryan would not have changed too much musically whereas Arthur had moved in a different direction.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  13:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of course since I never met Bryan Maclean I really don't know his 'personality' though I can glean a bit of him from his music. I was very intrigued when he went into another personal direction with his spiritual music. Something certainly happened to make him go that way. I admire that. I wonder if he ever envisioned going in that direction when he started his career. Funny how fate puts you into certain directions..ah there it is...forever changes!...
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  16:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is interesting that some though by no means all, artists give their work a more spiritual dimension during their later years....on one level I suppose that it might be a case of studying for one's finals! But I think that Europe and the United States stand in great contrast to one another on this. Secularism does have an increasing hold here and faith is for many people, a largely private matter. To my mind, having a spiritual inner life is very important....but that is not something that I would ever want to project to a music audience. Mind you I can quite understand that if you have a gift, as Byran did, then it is perfectly natural to want to use it to service the most important things in your life.

Edited by - John9 on 30/10/2009 16:21:27
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2009 :  16:36:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

It is interesting that some though by no means all, artists give their work a more spiritual dimension during their later years....on one level I suppose that it might be a case of studying for one's finals! But I think that Europe and the United States stand in great contrast to one another on this. Secularism does have an increasing hold here and faith is for many people, a largely private matter. To my mind, having a spiritual inner life is very important....but that is not something that I would ever want to project to a music audience. Mind you I can quite understand that if you have a gift, as Byran did, then it is perfectly natural to want to use it to service the most important things in your life.

Jesus is coming....look busy.

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page