Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  14:36:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just read that "Lucy" of LITSWD has died. Lucy Vodden it's noted "inspired the song".She said she didn't relate to the song, "As a teenager,I made the mistake of of telling a couple of friends at school that that I was the Lucy in the song and they said, "No, it's not you, my parents said it's about drugs". And I didn't know what LSD was at the time so I just kept it quiet, to myself".

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  14:49:25  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yeah, it was in the media over here yesteday. I often wondered which story was true about 'Lucy', the story about it being a schoolfriend of Julian's was cute but it did seem rather 'drug induced' shall we say. Even the writers themselves seem to change their ideas about what songs mean over the years. For example, for many years it was generally accepted that Lou Reed's 'Perfect Day' was about heroin but, when the BBC over here decided to use it as the theme song for 'Children in Need' (an annual charity bash) Lou suddenly decided that it was just a sweet little love song! Hmmmmm

Edited by - caryne on 29/09/2009 17:10:58
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  16:36:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know when I hear the story of "Lucy' I start to think about that movie quote.."When the legend becomes fact print the legend".
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  18:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lennon alwaya maintained it was about Julian's school friend and
Julian showed his Pop the drawing he did of her that inspired the song.

Every one wanted to believe (and still do)that it was about drugs...
an in-your-face, LSD cool, anti-establishment take on the song....
I guess it's more romantic to think there is a hidden meaning
to it. But what's wrong with a psychedelic, dreamy song about a
son's boyhood girl friend and a drawing that inspired it?

It's still pretty trippy and the new remasterd mono version is even better!!

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  18:18:55  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Lennon alwaya maintained it was about Julian's school friend and
Julian showed his Pop the drawing he did of her that inspired the song.

Every one wanted to believe (and still do)that it was about drugs...
an in-your-face, LSD cool, anti-establishment take on the song....
I guess it's more romantic to think there is a hidden meaning
to it. But what's wrong with a psychedelic, dreamy song about a
son's boyhood girl friend and a drawing that inspired it?

It's still pretty trippy and the new remasterd mono version is even better!!

--william saroyan

I don't think anyone thinks there's anything wrong with it just being a sweet little song and, to be honest, I would have thought it far better, commercial wise, for it to be that rather than a song about drugs especially at a time when songs about drugs were being banned all over the place.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  19:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I knew some that got downright crazy mad about the subject, saying that it WAS about LSD and wouldn't listen to anything else! Back then it was a rebel kind of thing-- just like the wink about Byrd's Tambourine Man getting airplay, when everyone KNEW it was about drugs. Turns out, maybe not..Dylan says it was about his creative muse.

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  19:38:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Eight Miles High is another case in point. On the Boarding House 'Reunion' live recording from 1978 McGuinn, Crosby, Hillman and Gene Clark joke with the audience about the song's ambiguity and notoriety. If you listen to the lyrics carefully, the composition is at least in part about that first plane trip to Britain....but then a similar defence, I suppose, can be offered for Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.In all honesty, I had never heard of Lucy Vodden until Rocker's posting.....but I am saddened to hear of her passing and of the difficult illness she endured.

Edited by - John9 on 29/09/2009 19:42:41
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  20:14:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John9

Eight Miles High is another case in point. On the Boarding House 'Reunion' live recording from 1978 McGuinn, Crosby, Hillman and Gene Clark joke with the audience about the song's ambiguity and notoriety. If you listen to the lyrics carefully, the composition is at least in part about that first plane trip to Britain....but then a similar defence, I suppose, can be offered for Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds.In all honesty, I had never heard of Lucy Vodden until Rocker's posting.....but I am saddened to hear of her passing and of the difficult illness she endured.

I knew about her in 68...but the US may have been more into Beatles even then...and having the debate in music class.

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  02:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Piece on her on the front page of the 'Independant' today, plus article within, and photo of Julian's original drawing of her. Cstegorically NOT sabout LSD. Apparently Julian had got back in contact with her in her last few months and helped her out. He and his mum now very cut up..
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  10:33:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I believe at the very least,that Lennon was happy to allow the title and lyrics of the song to remain ambiguous........child's drawing that takes on a new life as nursery rhyme/psychedelic poem/LSD allegory...the fact is that it is all these things. And it all serves to remind us of the ongoing fascination that so many people from different generations still have for The Beatles' music. Not only were they responsible for such an important revolution in popular music and culture.......they commanded an appeal that extended from the Queen Mum to Frank Zappa, from Rolf Harris to the Kaiser Chiefs, from Leonard Bernstein to Andre Previn and from Harold Wilson to Condoleezza Rice!

Edited by - John9 on 30/09/2009 10:46:27
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  14:29:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That "LSD" moniker fascinates me since the song's title and the alliterative letters relating to a drug kind of notes to me just how art imitates a life, i..e Lennon's life. I'm sure there was some sort of unconscious thing going on there in the creative process as well. It works doesn't it?? Who wouldn't make the allusion to LSD after hearing about how Lennon was drugged to the gills at that time.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  14:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and lk...all I have been doing is listening and listening and listening to stereo Pepper after getting it. I will be ready for mono soon! I am looking forard to it oh ye king of the monos!... And I have to say I have a tremendous and more appreciation now for that record after all these years. It's Beatle perfection.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  17:05:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

That "LSD" moniker fascinates me since the song's title and the alliterative letters relating to a drug kind of notes to me just how art imitates a life, i..e Lennon's life. I'm sure there was some sort of unconscious thing going on there in the creative process as well. It works doesn't it?? Who wouldn't make the allusion to LSD after hearing about how Lennon was drugged to the gills at that time.

Such a fun time, for all who "remember"... remember Blues McGoos' "Psychedelic Lollipop" (one of the first psychedelic bands) with a song that actually predates "Lucy" by a year--"Love Seems Doomed" was an admitted wink to LSD and the next LP, "Electric Comic Book", with the ACID nod on the song title "Albert Common Is Dead".

Just a fun time! Where music was the culture and the soundtrack of the times. Music and life is rather jaded today.....the 60's was a time when, as Densmore said in Love Story...a more hopeful time where we thought we really were headed for better times...for a while anyway.

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  18:59:36  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Just a fun time! Where music was the culture and the soundtrack of the times. Music and life is rather jaded today.....the 60's was a time when, as Densmore said in Love Story...a more hopeful time where we thought we really were headed for better times...for a while anyway.

--william saroyan

I know you won't agree LK but I think for those of us who are a bit younger 1977 also had music as the culture and soundtrack of our times....I also expect this happened for teenagers in the late 50's as well. Sadly from the early 80's I'm not so sure music has been so important to the youth. I find it very sad but young people just seem to not have music as an important element of their life anymore.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  19:56:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't disagree with any generation that embraces their music. I think the new wave was much more of a movement and soundtrack for a BRITISH generation than for the scene over here, though. The US scene was not so strongly anti-Beatles/prog/60's psych as the reaction in the UK. That is my impression anyway.

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  04:49:23  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i'll take the writers' at their word out of respect, but, you know, "L.i.t.s.w.d.", "Puff The Magic Dragon", "Eight Miles High",
and many other songs needed to be un-drug to succeed in radio, so a wink and a nod to an inside joke. Besides , as Dylan has alluded to in interviews, he just does the songs, and the interpretations are not his job. It is what it is. "everybody must get stoned!"

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page