Arthur on UK TV
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2009 :  02:02:24  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
This will only mean something to UK viewers probably. Anybody else see Arthur and Love on the BBC 3 programme on friday night 25/9 about The Doors first album. Programme called Classic Albums. The head of Elektra records, interviewed recently, said he went along to the Whisky A.g.g. to see Arthur and Love and Arthur told him to watch the last band on the bill who were new and called the Doors and who he thought were promising. Elektra man believed and trusted Arthurs judgement. Apparently the Doors were not that good that night but the bloke went back another couple of nights and he saw they were improving and eventually signed them up after other record companies had dropped them. Programme showed one picture of Arthur and a picture of Love sitting on a settee both B and W. Pictures only flashed up very quickly but it looked like Arthur and 3 other musicians but I did not recognise the lineup. Could not see Mclean there but as I say only on screen for a very short time.Photo of Arthur was in the 'long wavy hair days'
It is a story that all followers of A.L. and Love have probably heard about but good of the BBC to point it out and to dig out a couple of pictures. What we need now is whole programme about a Love album.If I was not on slow old dialup I could get the picture and look at it again off the BBC I player.
Do hope I was not the only Sad Old Git watching the TV on a Friday evening.
Harvey the roadie

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2009 :  04:11:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting, Harvey & good to know that Love is still getting out there, even if it's about the DOORS mostly.

Good to hear from you Harvey....have you heard any of the Beatle mono box? I like hearing the Love Me Do (original single) with RINGO as drummer that was only "out there" for a couple weeks in the UK as the single release, until Ringo's drumming was replaced by the "other" drummer for all subsequent pressings of the 45 & LP track. We never heard it at all over here, of course.

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2009 :  10:44:07  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by harvey

This will only mean something to UK viewers probably. Anybody else see Arthur and Love on the BBC 3 programme on friday night 25/9 about The Doors first album. Programme called Classic Albums. The head of Elektra records, interviewed recently, said he went along to the Whisky A.g.g. to see Arthur and Love and Arthur told him to watch the last band on the bill who were new and called the Doors and who he thought were promising. Elektra man believed and trusted Arthurs judgement. Apparently the Doors were not that good that night but the bloke went back another couple of nights and he saw they were improving and eventually signed them up after other record companies had dropped them. Programme showed one picture of Arthur and a picture of Love sitting on a settee both B and W. Pictures only flashed up very quickly but it looked like Arthur and 3 other musicians but I did not recognise the lineup. Could not see Mclean there but as I say only on screen for a very short time.Photo of Arthur was in the 'long wavy hair days'
It is a story that all followers of A.L. and Love have probably heard about but good of the BBC to point it out and to dig out a couple of pictures. What we need now is whole programme about a Love album.If I was not on slow old dialup I could get the picture and look at it again off the BBC I player.
Do hope I was not the only Sad Old Git watching the TV on a Friday evening.
Harvey the roadie

I recorded the programme and watched it yesterday, it was on BBC4. However, a kind person has pointed out to me (Hello Steve64) that it is available from play.com
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/5210984/Classic-Albums-The-Doors/Product.html

It was a very good programme and nice to see it confirmed that Arthur really did introduce The Doors to Elektra.
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  23:30:56  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi L.K. There has been plenty on UK tv to mark the release of the Beatles remastered CD's. Lots of film of Ed Sullivan performances where Ringo was playing live, looked as though he was really having to work but all sounded ok but very basic. However on one performance Harrison made a huge goof and Lennon nearly stopped singing. I have not listened to any of the remastered cd's yet but hope to soon.I wonder who made the decision to replace Ringo on the recordings. Somebody from Parlophone or Epstein. There were all sorts of rumours over here as I have said before but the press never really chased the story. They were not into kicking anybody who was on the up in those days and would have been shouted down by the fans.
Stay lucky
Harvey the roadie
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2009 :  23:40:20  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Caryne
Glad someone else saw the Doors programme. Can you freeze frame the picture of Love and see what the line up is. Manzarak did not look too bad for 70 and Densmore looked ok but Kreiger looked a bit odd. It was interesting as I have read in other places that Arthur really liked the Doors and he was the reason they were on the bill at the Whisky. Shame Arthur never really took off over here like the Doors did but light my fire was a really classic track and they followed it up with riders on the storm as well as several others that still sound very fresh today and are still played every day on rado stations but I do not hear that much of Love and Arthur on the radio.
Harvey the roadie
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  00:26:01  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi Caryne
Glad someone else saw the Doors programme. Can you freeze frame the picture of Love and see what the line up is. Manzarak did not look too bad for 70 and Densmore looked ok but Kreiger looked a bit odd. It was interesting as I have read in other places that Arthur really liked the Doors and he was the reason they were on the bill at the Whisky. Shame Arthur never really took off over here like the Doors did but light my fire was a really classic track and they followed it up with riders on the storm as well as several others that still sound very fresh today and are still played every day on rado stations but I do not hear that much of Love and Arthur on the radio.
Harvey the roadie

Sorry I recorded it on Sky+ and I've deleted it now. I should, hopefully, get the DVD next month when I have some spare cash. For the moment, I expect Steve64 on here may already have it and can answer your question.

I did notice at the end that it was made a couple of years ago so Manzarak wasn't quite 70 in it, though I agree he looks better now than he did in the 60's!! Kreiger always looked a little odd and still does. However, when watching that film the other night it did strike me that, maybe, Jim had got himself three not exactly attractive musicians to make himself look better. I bit like the teenager who hangs around with an ugly friend so they get all the best dates.

I do tend to agree though that the Doors were always more radio friendly, and still are, so I guess that is one explanation for their continuing success.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  09:58:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard that it's the Four Sail lineup. As for The Beatles, I've heard that when they were recording that first single, Love Me Do/PS I Love You, George Martin was not happy with Ringo's drumming and so the percussion was provided by session musician, Andy White. Martin had obviously had his faith restored by the time the album, Please Please Me was recorded. In the studio of course, it was Ringo until the very end....although he did have to be replaced during one early American tour when he wasn't well. It has been possible to listen to the rare version of Love Me Do for nearly thirty years now......on Past Masters 1...and before that on Capitol's Rarities compilation.

Going back to the The Doors/Love thing, I don't know if anyone else recalls that early on in the Oliver Stone's biopic about The Doors, there is a very dreamlike sequence set on Sunset Strip. A group of girls are standing in line and are asked about who they are queuing to see........."Lurve", they sigh.

Edited by - John9 on 30/09/2009 10:53:48
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  14:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
harvey...do you know which ed Sullivan show it was that Harrison "goofed"? It was noted that Harrison at times wasn't so good on "solos" and could have hard times with some even though he was the lead guitarist of the Beatles!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  17:22:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

harvey...do you know which ed Sullivan show it was that Harrison "goofed"? It was noted that Harrison at times wasn't so good on "solos" and could have hard times with some even though he was the lead guitarist of the Beatles!

Just to jump in...I think that because the Beatles were always pushing the envelope of the days' music AND their OWN talents...that they sometimes got ahead of their own abilities on their instruments. Something they could pull off in the studio, but not so easily live. The talent grew as the years went on and they became the best at what they wished to achieve. But on Sullivan it could have been nerves. Bid stage, "big shoe".

The Doors have some famous flubs on their appearances and I remember a lot of my favorite bands not sounding quite up to par on Eddie's Big Shoe! The Animals sounded GREAT, though, and Eric was so cool!!

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2009 :  23:41:51  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Only time Eric is not cool is if you mention Alan Price. Even after all these years he is still extreeeeemly p.d off that Pricey somehow got his name as arranger on House of the Rising Sun so got the royalties. It was just that Pricey knew the record biz better than Burdon and as the arrangers name was not decided when the record was made he stuck his name on it even though it was Burdon who suggested the band cover the song. Thanks to all for the suggestions regarding the Love Picture on the Doors programme. I do remember that bit on the Hollywood version of the Jim Morrisson story. What I have noticed is when interviewed Jim seemed to have a slightly lazy eye or was he on something. Cannot remember which song Harrison made the goof on the Ed S. show. perhaps that is one reason why a lot of their performances seen on TV in the UK were mimed to re-recorded tracks. But then again main broadcasters here did not like risking live performance in their studios a lot of which were not sound stages. Too many opportunities to be introduced to 'Mr Cockup'or an unruly dancer in the audience saying something rude 'on air'.Famous one on the BBC radio when the Beatles were on and Hot Pants were the latest fashion for girls the dj was talking to a girl and a voice shouted 'if they are hot she had better take them off and let them cool down. Can I watch'.The microphone suddenly went dead and the bbc switched to the weather forecast. Talking of Mr c.up I have seen Clapton start a solo in the wrong key a few times.Best bloke for unwanted outtakes is Iggy of course. 'Hey Ig ... put them back on mate'
Harvey the Roadie
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2009 :  04:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would think it rather hard to come out cold and lay down a quick song cold....on live TV.

I wondered about the Eric vs Alan riff...too bad. A great artist too, Price was!

Tim Buckley comes to mind as hitting all the right notes and sounding really great on British TV....live. Someone with a five octave range and such expertise on the twelve string who could hit a "wrong" note, improv, and make it sound right....Tim was so good.

Anyone see Tim on British TV or live when he played & toured there??

And that Monkees Show appearance by Tim singing "Song To The Siren" was SO good. Perfect!

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

harvey
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
155 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  02:15:29  Show Profile  Send harvey a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Beatles had been playing together in Hamburg (without Ringo) for some time and had to be very together or they would have been thrown off stage so I expect they had a sixth sense about what each of them was going to do so should really have been able to cope with the live performance and bloopers are pretty rare with them. I do not know how many rehearsals of the song they got on E.S. Tim Buckley 'Come away Melinda ,come in and close the door, its nothing but a picture book they had before the war.'Tragic story and also son Geoff took his own life. Only saw Tim on British TV a few times. Alan Price and Eric Burdon, Price always seemed to be very proper and upright compared to Burdon, one of the original rock and roll lifestyle legends.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2009 :  05:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Beatles had been playing together in Hamburg (without Ringo) for some time and had to be very together or they would have been thrown off stage so I expect they had a sixth sense about what each of them was going to do so should really have been able to cope with the live performance and bloopers are pretty rare with them. I do not know how many rehearsals of the song they got on E.S. Tim Buckley 'Come away Melinda ,come in and close the door, its nothing but a picture book they had before the war.'Tragic story and also son Geoff took his own life. Only saw Tim on British TV a few times. Alan Price and Eric Burdon, Price always seemed to be very proper and upright compared to Burdon, one of the original rock and roll lifestyle legends.

Ya, Harv, the Beatles earned their chops in Germany and even Ringo was a veteran by the time he joined the Beatles, as far as performing live goes.

Everyone hits a wrong note sometime...figuratively and literally!

I remember the live Animals on Sullivan...quite good and you're right about Price...could have made the cover of GQ today.

The whole Buckley family "history" is a tragedy, indeed.

--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page