New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2009 :  21:02:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bobby Graham, session drummer, who is credited with playing drums on the Pretty Things debut single "Rosalyn" has died of stomach cancer.

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2009 :  23:20:16  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So many deaths at the moment, it's so sad.
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2009 :  21:21:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's an interesting bit about Graham on Wikipedia. It says he claimed he was approached by Brian Epstein when Pete Best was ousted from the Beatles. Graham supposedly told Epstein that he was already the drummer in a much more successful band, Joe Brown and the Bruwers! Apparently he also drummed for the Kinks and Dave Clark Five. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Graham
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2009 :  01:48:30  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Old_Man

There's an interesting bit about Graham on Wikipedia. It says he claimed he was approached by Brian Epstein when Pete Best was ousted from the Beatles. Graham supposedly told Epstein that he was already the drummer in a much more successful band, Joe Brown and the Bruwers! Apparently he also drummed for the Kinks and Dave Clark Five. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_Graham

Well, Joe Brown is still gigging to this day, which is more that you can say for The Beatles

As for playing with The Kinks, as I prefer them to The Beatles any day, I reckon he was with the better band there
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2009 :  02:47:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heresy doubtless to many, Caryne, but reckon I'm with you on the Kinks. Still hope I see 'em.. by the by, saw Cornershop do the best, sweetest cover of Waterloo Sunset on the Culture Show early on this year .. made me grin. 'Judy..'s probably my next album purchase when vehicles/fridges/TV stop going wrong..
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2009 :  14:57:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: Ray and the Kinks....I just read they have a new album that's a choral treatment of their hits...talk about melding classical with rock....I'll be picking that up. And I'm not sure who was more of an 'English' band, the Beatles or the Kinks??? If Ray wasn't around I wonder where rock would have went. Arghuably I think he was a better songwriter than Lennon though both had a relationship to words and ideas.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2009 :  20:36:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Its a bit meh - I'd buy Rays new Choral
collection for the Village Green tracks,
personally

Here in the States its available as an import
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2009 :  22:13:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
re: Beatle ref.....

Silly....!! Half the Beatles are still playing today...the other half are DEAD! What were they thinking-- retiring from the music biz just because of a the lame excuse of being "six feet under"!!

Cheers!

Try to be alive. You will be dead soon enough.
--william saroyan
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2009 :  22:26:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
very good lk...and I wish Ray would do more English dance hall stuff (come dancin'!) if they get together again. I hear he's trying to do the Kinks again but NOT as a nostalgia act as he puts it...

so Joe how did the songs turn out?...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page