New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  15:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gone now. One of those fine Brill Building songwriters. In '64 she put 17 singles with Jeff Barry on the charts which included Do Wah Diddy and collaborated with Spector to write Be My Baby and River Deep-Mountain High. She gave those girl groups some great songs: Chapel of Love (Dixie Cups) and lLeader of the Pack (Shangri-Las). It was noted that she 'discovered' Neil Diamond.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  17:50:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Gone now. One of those fine Brill Building songwriters. In '64 she put 17 singles with Jeff Barry on the charts which included Do Wah Diddy and collaborated with Spector to write Be My Baby and River Deep-Mountain High. She gave those girl groups some great songs: Chapel of Love (Dixie Cups) and lLeader of the Pack (Shangri-Las). It was noted that she 'discovered' Neil Diamond.

and I believe she co-wrote, with Neil, Kentucky Woman and Cherry Cherry (his better years, before he became rather annoying for me)

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  18:02:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes and Diamond said she was the one that got his career going.
there must have been something in the water at the Brill Bldg because those writers (her, Goffin, King, Barry, Leiber, Stoller, bachrach) put so many hits. They sure had the knack.
Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  19:21:59  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

quote:

and I believe she co-wrote, with Neil, Kentucky Woman and Cherry Cherry (his better years, before he became rather annoying for me)

I read about Ellie's death in the 'Guardian' today, they had a large obituary for her which was good to see, she was a great songwriter.

By the way, LK, can't take the swipe at Neil Diamond,, I agree he had a bad period (too many glittery suits etc) but the last two albums, produced by Rick Rubin, have been a real return to form and I understand he is currently doing another which I look forward to.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  22:42:50  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
A piece of me died with Ellie. i grew up with her songs. almost all of my '60s "girl group" treasures have her hand in there. the little soap operas and gossip songs are theatrical to say the least, AND ALWAYS PASSIONATE!("leader of the pack"!) ,"out in the street", and sweet, " Chapel Of Love". DAMN, what a loss today, but always a gain for rock and roll heaven. again.....too many times lately, R.I.P.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  14:08:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm glad she got the recognition because really she wasn't known very well at that time. I think that's what happened to many songwriters then. They were just simply paid by the song and given no publicity.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  17:29:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm glad she got the recognition because really she wasn't known very well at that time. I think that's what happened to many songwriters then. They were just simply paid by the song and given no publicity.

And they were unfortuantely hungry enough to sell their tune for a "song"! Too bad.....but when it was the rent or food at stake...$200 for even a potential hit looked good. I don't know how they were paid at the Brill building...I hope it wasn't sweat shop pay. But it happened a lot, Steve Stills always regretted selling "Sit Down I Think I Love You" for $200 not long before they made it. Fortunately he's done rather well since. The same can't be said for all of those great songwriters.

At least artist's gilds have given artists the knowledge and power to negotiate for their due--advances on royalties. Power to the people!

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  19:21:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did read in an obit that she had some experience losing rights to some songs she wrote. Those were the days.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page