Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 All The Rest
 General discussions about music
 "Christmas in the Heart" segue to comedy & back!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2009 :  22:29:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dylan's 47th!!!! album will be released on Oct 13th. All profits- FOREVER- will go to the hunger relief charity Feeding America.

Cheers to Dylan. Give a gift and get some Christmas music!!!

search.... http://network.nationalpost.com ........for more!

Very nice.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 01/09/2009 17:21:14

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2009 :  18:08:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will do. Thanks for the tip.

All misspellings are purposeful...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  14:13:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see he's going to do "Must be Santa"..will be interesting to hear how he sings that. I've always got Mitch Miller's version in my head...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  17:56:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

I see he's going to do "Must be Santa"..will be interesting to hear how he sings that. I've always got Mitch Miller's version in my head...

All traditional songs--nice.

Did you all catch the signed Dylan harmonicas (used by Bob...DNA tests forthcoming??
) at Amazon?
$5,000 for one boxed, and authenticated; and a set of five for $25,000! That's NOT on my Christmas list!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 28/08/2009 17:57:25
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2009 :  21:18:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you noticed that as we got older things got sooooo much pricier?? It's amazing how budgetary considerations from the age of Woodstock transform themselves over time. Now, who has all that disposable income hanging around anymore to buy harmonicas??????........
Go to Top of Page

markk
Old Love

USA
803 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2009 :  23:34:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Songs on this CD include Here comes Santa Claus, Winter Wonderland,
Little Drummer Boy. Could be a new Holiday Classic. Did anyone ever hear the Gilbert Gottfried monologue on Bob Dylan walking into
Floyd's barber shop from Mayberry. "what'll it be Bob" Just a trim Floyd. I guess you had to hear it. Hysterical. matching these 2 in a conversation.
Go to Top of Page

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2009 :  00:13:51  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
i haven't heard the G.GOTTFREID Dylan /Floyd the barber bit, but ...I'm already laughing!!!! you know, Gilbert is the voice of the Aflac Duck.

...what the world needs now...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2009 :  05:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Haven't heard it either! Sounds so funny! Who was the best comedian you've seen live, guys and gals? I saw Cosby at his peak in '68....long before he went TV sitcom. Really great hearing every classic Cosby bit..just great! One of the first great black stand-up comics.

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2009 :  13:10:01  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

Haven't heard it either! Sounds so funny! Who was the best comedian you've seen live, guys and gals? I saw Cosby at his peak in '68....long before he went TV sitcom. Really great hearing every classic Cosby bit..just great! One of the first great black stand-up comics.

Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2009 :  13:13:16  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemonade kid

A bit off topic but, as you've asked, I've seen plenty of great, live, comedians but I doubt you've heard of them in the USA!! Generally I'm not fond of American humour so the only American I've seen live (several times) is Rich Hall, who is brilliant. British comedians I am fond of are Jeremy Hardy, Mark Thomas, Rob Newman, Felix Dexter, Stewart Lee and Bill Bailey, all who are great live.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  14:04:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah comedy! What would life be without it? If I need a laugh quick I just pop in any episode of Fawlty (arguably the gretest sitcom of all time in my opinion-I think Cleese was right to stop it when he did!), Seinfeld or the television shows of Abbott and Costello and Laurel and Hardy's "Saps at Sea" and "Sons of the Desert"!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  17:33:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah comedy! What would life be without it? If I need a laugh quick I just pop in any episode of Fawlty (arguably the gretest sitcom of all time in my opinion-I think Cleese was right to stop it when he did!), Seinfeld or the television shows of Abbott and Costello and Laurel and Hardy's "Saps at Sea" and "Sons of the Desert"!

And my favorite...."Way Out West".

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  17:58:15  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

I agree with you on Fawlty Towers, I still laugh at episodes today even though I know all the lines. However, I just don't get Laurel and Hardy (or Abbot and Costello for that matter). When I was a kid and they were on TV my Dad used to love it (he saw them perform live in the early 50's) but I just found it so unfunny and I still do. Mind you I detest slapstick and I guess, more or less, that's what it is.
Not sure if they are known in the USA but I always loved Morcambe and Wise, they are an act who I never tire of seeing their old shows.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  19:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know when I mention A&C I've found people don't like them. That's interesting because Jerry Seinfeld's influence came from them and he got great ratinmgs for his show. I think they probably didn't like that presentation. The show to me was just 'zaniness'. The plots were ridiculous I guess.
Morcambe & Wise..not here to my knowledge. What was their shtick???
Any on dvd?

And a line from the Major:
Waldorf salad episode

Mr. Hamilton (The American)"What I'm suggesting is that this place is the crummiest, shoddiest, worst-run hotel in the whole of western Europe!"

Major (angrily): " No! No! I won't have that! There's a place in Eastbourne".

And...

Basil: "Did you ever see that film, How to Murder Your Wife?"
Major: "How to murder your wife?"
Basil: Yes, awfully good. I saw it six times".

Go to Top of Page

caryne
Old Love

United Kingdom
1520 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  19:58:46  Show Profile  Visit caryne's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

You know when I mention A&C I've found people don't like them. That's interesting because Jerry Seinfeld's influence came from them and he got great ratinmgs for his show. I think they probably didn't like that presentation. The show to me was just 'zaniness'. The plots were ridiculous I guess.
Morcambe & Wise..not here to my knowledge. What was their shtick???
Any on dvd?

And a line from the Major:
Waldorf salad episode

Mr. Hamilton (The American)"What I'm suggesting is that this place is the crummiest, shoddiest, worst-run hotel in the whole of western Europe!"

Major (angrily): " No! No! I won't have that! There's a place in Eastbourne".

And...

Basil: "Did you ever see that film, How to Murder Your Wife?"
Major: "How to murder your wife?"
Basil: Yes, awfully good. I saw it six times".

I can't stand Seinfield either so that doesn't help!!

I expect Morecambe and Wise are far too British for most Americans. I admit I have no idea what you mean by what was their 'shtick' but they were a double act who had TV shows over here for many years. Impossible to describe but very popular, much loved and very funny. Many of their TV series are now on DVD but I doubt it would be 'american humour'.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2009 :  20:27:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two favourites of mine:

Bob Monkhouse (who early in his career wrote for Bob Hope)

"When I told my friends that I had made up my mind to go into comedy, they all laughed. Well........they're not laughing now!"

George Burns (who carried on into his late nineties)

"And then Raquel Welch comes round to massage me for two hundred bucks..........hell, she can afford it!"

To my mind some of the best comedy in Britain today comes from those who are nominally at least, in one or other ethnic minority and who from that vantage point are able to render rediculous, assumptions about cultural and national differences. One of my favourite examples is Shappi Khorsandi who was born in Iran but who at a young age came with her family to live here:

"Now remember......Iran..... not Iraq.....we're with ones with the weapons of mass destruction?"

Edited by - John9 on 31/08/2009 20:49:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page