Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2009 :  23:30:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi LeeRob........been a while...... I wasn't lucky (or old enough) to hit LA/SF at the peak!
I had some vet friends that went your route too.......peace love and THE MUSIC...after they got out of the military.

I had a student deferment and a very high lottery number. I don't envy you (Nam?)...but I love ya for doing what you had to do. We won't get into the merits of that whole conflict....

The "traveling" Vietnam Memorial Wall came to the Herbert Hoover Library National Park here.
I said the same to the vets there manning the wall to help loved ones find their fallen soldiers.
As I walked along the wall, reading the 56,000 + names, I really didn't expect it--but I couldn't hold back the tears.

Thank god for LA and SF and the whole peace/love flower-power-to-the-people movement....I think that, more than anything else, saved this country.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 23/08/2009 23:32:26
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  14:23:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know from my perspective here in the East that whole shift to the West just was a modern day follow up to that old adage "Go West, young man!!". Of course, the "West" in American lore was a place where dreams could get started and you can have a "new beginning". We saw it in music as in other areas of culture. I have this image of LA and SF as some kind of great black hole and where moths were attracted to that great fiery light out there. Everybody wanted to be where the like-minded were. It was a cauldron of creativity man. And we certainly got what we got and even more than we asked for!...
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  23:13:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where is the dynamic end-point of this 60's-70s energy today, I wonder? Is it dying with us baby boomers. I know the Renaissance of free spirit and music continues anew with each generation acknowledging an inner pull towards "free expression," or whatever one can call that state of other-worldly sense which competes with the edges of the shell that society places us in. But might the 60's energy still exist in some pure form - intact in the people whose philosophy carried it forward? Ha! The lost tribe. I personally feel that LOVE grabbed that energy at the dynamic point, and expressed it without explaining it, nor even purporting it as a way of life, as other L.A. bands of that era seemed to do. That is why, WE, the LOVE minded refer to it as the "scene," LOVE was the happening, the now. I think their music and poetry grabbed the moment, in a kind of (forgive me) acid-awareness of the moment -- without all the chatter about what we could do to save the world through "the movement," etc. Take Forever Changes for example, it touches all of the vibes in the air, adds extremely object-sense musicianship without needing a "follow-up," to finish the statement. While other bands of the era expanded their expression by going on tours and becoming stars, changing genres and clinging to images, LOVE DID MUSIC, and shed the rest - it did not fit. I've lost my point. . . I don't "talk," very often. I'll just let it fly as it is.
Bobf, lk and rocker, Griffith Park I missed, sadly. I was in an air force hospital with scarlet fever on way to Nam; my orders were cancelled - I didn't go. I love places east of California; I found Maine of the 60's-70's to encompass all the best of the vibes I found in California parts without the commercial hype that set in during the influx that drove many of us "into the hills". Peace

All misspellings are purposeful...

Edited by - LeeRob on 25/08/2009 04:25:38
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2009 :  23:47:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, LeeRob. Change was in the air, without actually saying we are gonna change things.
It just was..."there's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear...."
....to take Stills' classic lines out of context. Magic was so in the air you could taste it. I'm not sure it will or can happen again. The music "machine" is so powerful, but at least as the technology grows and new artists can put their music out there without any of the industry behind them....

You meet kids that seem just like we were....long hair, mellow, turning on , tuning out...but they are listening to OUR music.....that gives me hope.

I'll be heading DownEast again, LeeRob.....someday soon.

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  15:54:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
leerob/lk et al..You know I have to say something about all that "change of scene" and all who influenced it. I think what I take away from all that especially with FC and where the band stood is that those things taught me about integrity. Maybe this is off the path a bit and I know I'm getting into philosophy but when FC was done it certainly was another view of what happens when change appears. Some good some bad. One thing I learned from Arthur and the band is to never ever "put yourself on". Well that's me and what I got out from all that revolution, evolution bit back when. Sounds funny but FC isn't just a record it's almost like it gives you an idea of how to live a life..and with some integrity.
Go to Top of Page

Allan
Old Love

USA
560 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  16:00:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have mentioned here that I lived in Laurel Canyon from May until November in 1970. I know it was somewhat after the heyday of the magical times, but the magic was still there in Laurel Canyon. I lived right next door to Carole King and used to hear her play piano and sing "Child of Mine" to her daughter. I lived at 8865 Wonderland.

And I've often mentioned that I used to see individuals from the Mothers of Invention at that little food store on the foot of the Canyon (The Country Store) where they would be buying $.50 cent bottles of Ripple wine, coming outside and declaring 'the Breakfast of Champions', then chugging the rot gut at 10 in the morning.

I would often go to the top of Wonderland, which was known as Lookout point, and meeting people from all over the country who were just hanging out. I remember being turned on to some 'shrooms' from some guys from Denver...and we tripped out all day up there. Perfect strangers yet brothers of the generation. I was living around the corner from where Michael and Kenny were sharing a flat.

Those seemed to be the best of times

Allan

Edited by - Allan on 25/08/2009 16:02:39
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  17:19:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
allan...so did you come across John Philips and the gang singing "Twelve-Thirty"..great song btw...NY wasn't exactly nirvana to them!...
Go to Top of Page

LeeRob
Fifth Love

397 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  20:11:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allan, Ha! Good sharing. All those good memories from the days of fresh experience. Great!
Hey rocker, don't trip on the philo thing, it's rather interesting. Here's a thought: I think that Forever Changes would have had as much influence on me even without the lyrics. But, that's just me.

All misspellings are purposeful...
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 25/08/2009 :  22:24:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.."those were the best of times"..

And if it wasn't for a LA gal I probably wouldn't have know about Love. I think about her fondly. She kept me in touch with that scene out there.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page