Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  10:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi lemonade kid,

I went to the concert at the Royal Festival Hall in 1970 for the whole package, but mainly to see Fotheringay (with Sandy Denny) and The Humblebums. At the time, I had only heard the one song by Nick.

The possible "meeting" took place some months earlier. Though if it was actually Nick, he may not have been introduced by name, due to the erm...business that he was doing with the two hippie guys!

All the best, John E
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  14:33:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
re; music bios.....Made me wonder if anybody did a full-fledged one on Nick himself. Certainly a candidate to get a treatment. He led a unique life.

and john9 I think with the Beatle remasters coming up it's got me very interested in reading more on the Beatles so the books you noted sound real interesting. I didn't read them yet. And as far as dipping into them I usually love to read "Lennon Remembers". A rock book for all time. I love it. It's hilarious and serious at the same time. Lennon knew he was in some big,serious and sometimes ridiculous stuff. His perspective on the "Beatles" is priceless.
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  15:00:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by John E

Hi lemonade kid,

I went to the concert at the Royal Festival Hall in 1970 for the whole package, but mainly to see Fotheringay (with Sandy Denny) and The Humblebums. At the time, I had only heard the one song by Nick.

The possible "meeting" took place some months earlier. Though if it was actually Nick, he may not have been introduced by name, due to the erm...business that he was doing with the two hippie guys!

All the best, John E

John E - you may well have noticed this already, but in the booklet for the Fledgling edition of the first Fotheringay album there are poster illustrations for the March 1970 tour with Nick Drake. I saw that wonderful group when they returned to Leicester during the autumn of the same year. On that occasion the support was Argent and Curved Air. In the words of the Cream song, "Those were the days".
Go to Top of Page

John9
Old Love

United Kingdom
2154 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  16:03:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

re; music bios.....Made me wonder if anybody did a full-fledged one on Nick himself. Certainly a candidate to get a treatment. He led a unique life.

and john9 I think with the Beatle remasters coming up it's got me very interested in reading more on the Beatles so the books you noted sound real interesting. I didn't read them yet. And as far as dipping into them I usually love to read "Lennon Remembers". A rock book for all time. I love it. It's hilarious and serious at the same time. Lennon knew he was in some big,serious and sometimes ridiculous stuff. His perspective on the "Beatles" is priceless.

Hi Rocker - I think that Lennon Remembers is Jan Wenner's Rolling Stone interview from late 1970 isn't it? It has been aired a couple of times (in a slimmed down form) a couple of times on BBC Radio 4 in recent years. I remember very vividly indeed how much John Lennon had mellowed by the time he appeared (with Yoko) on BBC TV's Michael Parkinson show in July '71. Sporting a clean cut image reminiscent of the mid Beatles era, he was back to his old self again....charming and with his trademark sense of humour back intact. Parkinson laments in his very recent autobiography that to cut costs the BBC later wiped the tape........so that it could be used again!

Returning to Nick Drake there is a wonderful in depth essay by Arthur Lubow contained within the original Fruit Tree box set - I'm just reading it now. By the way, you don't often see it written down that Nick's sister is Gabrielle Drake....I saw her some years ago in the title role in Oscar Wilde's Lady Windermere's Fan - she has such stage presence. I've just found out that very recently she has done a stint in Coronation Street:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/soaps/article2386629.ece

Edited by - John9 on 12/08/2009 19:30:20
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  19:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nick's sister is quite interesting and a good actress....her part in the DVD included about Nick's life in the Fruit Tree Box is quite insightful and interesting....well-- she kindly offers the most insight into Nick, I think.
His whole family obviously loved and cared for Nick greatly....and felt his passing intensely.

The epitaph on his gravestone gets me every time (a lyric of his)....
Now we rise, and we are everywhere.

It's so sad that NO film footage exists of the adult Nick Drake. But the still photos are beautiful.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 12/08/2009 19:32:10
Go to Top of Page

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  19:46:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lemonade

I agree but surely this all adds to the mystique?? I did a scroll through Youtube once where there is a random film of a music festival with the tagline "is this Nick Drake" As far as I could see it happened to be a tall person with long hair!!! for a fleeting second though.....

On the Ian Macdonald thing and the inaccuracies of his Forever Changes review. I read a interview with Mccartney in MOJO within the last year when they comment on Ian Macdonald's fantastic back Revolution in the Head. Mccartney's comments were on the lines of "its may have been fantastic to you but it's full of things that are just not true"

I suppose,as with everything we will never get the exact truth even from those who were there!!
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  20:49:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, wonder what macca's truth is -- 'I wrote everything'? Think all you can do is read everything and try to sift the 'truth' from that :)
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  21:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And as mark Twain said,"Truh is mighty and will prevail.
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2009 :  21:27:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
....There is nothing the matter with this..just that it ain't so"...
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2009 :  04:55:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
McCartneys book with Miles (Many years from now) is good tho

There are a few bios on Nick
(one book review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-twNaqhHCUI

but the general feeling is that noone really knew the young man very well and that he expressed himself best through his music

Was Nick mentioned by name in the live program or was he just one of the "Guests" supporting the main act

I still can't believe more Nick hasn't surfaced, on either video or on tape. I read in Mojo that there were 100 HOURS of Nick on tape

Clearly he had the run of the music room at home!
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  04:52:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally finished Patrick Humphries "Nick Drake: The Biography"
The only other reference to FC is the author comparing "Bryter Layter" to "Astral Weeks" and 'Love's unclassifiable and mysterious "Forever Changes".'
The book largely consists of the author interviewing ND's family, friends and musical colleagues about ND's happy early life, then his music career, and then his descent into severe depression.

He hated performing in front of people (Witchseason/Island always sent him out alone to support Fairport Convention and other rock bands) and eventually he refused to do it, and as a result had very poor record sales.
This was the exact same thing that happened to Judee Sill's career, and ironically David Geffen is quoted as saying he thought ND's records were "fabulous... I thought ND should've been a star, and that I could help him."
Sure Dave, the same way you "helped" Judee Sill.
Anyway, the antidepressant ND OD'd on is probably one of the easiest drugs to OD on, and his death was probably accidental, like Tim Buckley's.
I wouldn't read this book for too many musical insights, although the interviews with Robert Kirby provided some.
It's mainly a good piece of music journalism.
The Ian MacDonald essay mentioned and linked before goes much deeper into the music itself.
Go to Top of Page

Joe Morris
Old Love

3491 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  07:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
noone really knew him very well
Go to Top of Page

scully
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
217 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2009 :  12:25:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

Anyway, the antidepressant ND OD'd on is probably one of the easiest drugs to OD on, and his death was probably accidental, like Tim Buckley's.

I'd prefer to think that Nick did intend to die --he'd obviously had enough by that point and it seems doubtful that it was a simple mistake. As for Tim Buckley, I'm sure it was unintentional, but it becomes easier to have accidents when you're a heroin user.

I like the Patrick Humphries book, but if you get the chance you should also read the Trevor Dann one -- together they might get somewhere near the 'truth'

http://www.amazon.com/Darker-Than-Deepest-Sea-Search/dp/0306815206/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1250418064&sr=8-1
Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  04:29:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tricyclic ADs (and especially amytriptyline or tryptizol, the one he took, and the most sedating and powerful of them all) were responsible for the most AD ODs of the 1970s.
That one was usually used for sleep problems associated with depression.
He couldn't get to sleep that night, so he went down to eat some cornflakes (as he typically did when he couldn't fall asleep), and then downed a few more pills to get to sleep.

You could stop your heart with only four of those pills, so it's likely he didn't realize how many he had taken in the middle of the night.

Prozac(and the rest of the SSRIs) was invented for just that reason.
Very few side f/x and very hard to OD on, and almost impossible to kill yourself with, accidentally or not.
The UK has always been way behind the US in regards to biological psychiatry- when I used to read the British Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease years ago, I thought I was in the 19th Century!
Today, Amitrypyline (tryptizol) is very rarely used- and with good reason.

However, he was in very bad shape at that time so anything is possible.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2009 :  05:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any and all anti-depressants need to be monitored CLOSELY...under supervision.

A study, by an expert that handles all school shootings, has found that every person involved in every school shooting in this country was on Prozac or another antidepressant, no exceptions.....coincidence or not--it's worth noting that the very drugs that are supposed to help (as in Nick's case OR the new "safe" drugs) have so many warnings including the possible effect of "thoughts of suicide"....even Prozac.

I prefer to think Nick didn't commit suicide ----no note-- who goes down to eat corn flakes & then does himself in? I sometimes eat a bowl of cereal to help me sleep...don't you all? After a point, it's hard to remember when & how much of the pills one has taken....

I think he wanted to feel better and thought--- maybe just two more, and I will get over that hump.....and be happy...be able to find my songs again.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 17/08/2009 05:24:59
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page