Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  05:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many greats have gone there........but I'm referring to where we go when we hear a great pedal steel guitarist play!! So--finally we have our TOPIC--- pedal steel angels...pick it!!!

So who puts you in pedal steel heaven?

I'll start with New Riders Of The Purple "Haze" (Sage HA!...but his is so good)...Buddy Cage on pedal steel. This reunion cut is amazing and the steel sounds like some psychedelic stringed thing like I've never heard....10+ minutes of heaven--GARDEN OF EDEN.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAln2Fs61vA

Let's here 'em all...playing with Papa Nez to Poco to Burritos...you name 'em and give us all a vid!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 26/07/2009 05:59:13

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  19:11:45  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
well...THAT got my attention! you all know I'm a big PEDAL STEEL fan!
i can't access any internet video on my crappy home computer, but I can share my mind:
Jay Dee Maness is way up loud in the mix on Chris Hillman's, "Bakersfield Bound" album! gives me chills. and on "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo".

Sneeky Pete Kleinow on "White Line Fever" sends me there.
Pete Drake in "Lay Lady Lay" does it.
The pedal steel guitar sound is multi-dimensional, and was psychedelic before that word was invented. much as the sitar is.
i even collect pedal steel solo albums, some good, some, ok, some by Sneeky Pete.....
there's this Joe Goldmark... plays like nobody else, loud, and bends the strings and makes the magic pedals blend the sound just like we want it. I think, still, that pedal steel is always put way back in the mix because it sounds too good! steals the show.
Anyone ever notice how Pink Floyd had always tried to get as close as possible to the Pedal Steel Guitar sound , without actually using it!?
(don't wanna be associated with that there cowboy instument!)

...what the world needs now...

Edited by - bob f. on 26/07/2009 19:18:09
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2009 :  21:58:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bob f.

well...THAT got my attention! you all know I'm a big PEDAL STEEL fan!
i can't access any internet video on my crappy home computer, but I can share my mind:
Jay Dee Maness is way up loud in the mix on Chris Hillman's, "Bakersfield Bound" album! gives me chills. and on "Sweetheart Of The Rodeo".

Sneeky Pete Kleinow on "White Line Fever" sends me there.
Pete Drake in "Lay Lady Lay" does it.
The pedal steel guitar sound is multi-dimensional, and was psychedelic before that word was invented. much as the sitar is.
i even collect pedal steel solo albums, some good, some, ok, some by Sneeky Pete.....
there's this Joe Goldmark... plays like nobody else, loud, and bends the strings and makes the magic pedals blend the sound just like we want it. I think, still, that pedal steel is always put way back in the mix because it sounds too good! steals the show.
Anyone ever notice how Pink Floyd had always tried to get as close as possible to the Pedal Steel Guitar sound , without actually using it!?
(don't wanna be associated with that there cowboy instument!)

Here's one where the pedal steel CANNOT be pushed to the background..."Pedal Steel Jam"...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMXi1zSLRgM&feature=related

I'll keep looking for some for you, bob, I'll place here....here're some that I love too...Red is on all of Nesmith's pretty much. Some Hillman......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duQgkzV4mEA&feature=related Silver Moon...Michael always used Red to his best advantage!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q7vAlZ25Dw Sin City with the Desert Rose Band..who's on pedal steel? ....nice. From my favorite Burritos LP!!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 26/07/2009 22:02:41
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  14:37:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
man ..all good stuff..my day is startin' off good!!!............
love that "steely" sound....like Hickory Wind it just calls ya!!!....

I like it when bands stick it in there since can give a nice longing flavor to the sound. That's why I liked it in those early country-rock bands since they really had the pedal in the mix especially the Burritos and DRB. In the Burritos arguably Sneaky's pedal used to be the lead! And I wonder what Gordon Huntley is doing. He played steel in Matthews Southern Comfort. Played it a little different "softer" I think than Sneaky and JD.

Also, Rick Nelson had a real good steel player in his Stone Canyon band. Just can't remember! Same with Mike Nesmith's band and Dylan on Nashville Skyline! They had steel players as well.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  17:15:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

man ..all good stuff..my day is startin' off good!!!............
love that "steely" sound....like Hickory Wind it just calls ya!!!....

I like it when bands stick it in there since can give a nice longing flavor to the sound. That's why I liked it in those early country-rock bands since they really had the pedal in the mix especially the Burritos and DRB. In the Burritos arguably Sneaky's pedal used to be the lead! And I wonder what Gordon Huntley is doing. He played steel in Matthews Southern Comfort. Played it a little different "softer" I think than Sneaky and JD.

Also, Rick Nelson had a real good steel player in his Stone Canyon band. Just can't remember! Same with Mike Nesmith's band and Dylan on Nashville Skyline! They had steel players as well.

Red Rhodes was on most of Nesmith's LPs (some of Monkey's) and on the Michael Nesmith produced "Valley Hi" by Ian Matthews....Mike brought Red along for that valley HIGH!!

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  17:34:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tom Brumley on pedal steel!! (1935-2009)

He played with Buck Owens, then with Rick Nelson's Stone Canyon Band from 1969 - 1979 AND in the 90's with the Desert Rose Band. Not a bad run!!! He even played on a track or two with Rod Stewart.
A bunch of others including Waylon.....

Rick Nelson was & is truly underrated. His rockabilly, country rock influenced and predicted such greats as Linda Ronstadt, Eagles etc.
He had 30 top 40 hits from 1959-62...more than anyone except Elvis and Pat Boone.

Here's a nice one....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frb58lBPd9s

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  18:42:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good lk..thanks for shaking the apples out of my tree with the personnel!.....
Yes, I thought Rick had a good band there. I enjoyed his stuff with them. Country was a natural progression for him wasn't it? If it wasn't for his untimely death perhaps he could've taken country and rcok to another place in the scheme of musical things, eh? I've been also listening to his earlier stuff. What a professional. Ozzie & Harriet sure helped him out!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2009 :  21:34:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love Rick...grew up with him and Ossie & H. Rest in peace.....

Not sure if PEDAL steel enters, but as with most of Jackson Browne's work, you hear either pedal steel guitar or slide or some kind of ethereal steel guitar going on. With genius multi-instrumentalist David Lindley you never knew what great backup he would bring to the table, but that steel sound is everywhere.

Late For the Sky is his opus and my favorite and there's a nice bit of steel guitar going on throughout. Of course Jackson jump-started a lot of careers--most notably the Eagles, with his tunes and influence.....and they never forgot it. just look at the line-up on "Late for the Sky"--
Dan Fogelberg
Don Henley
David Lindley
Perry Lindley
Terry Reid
Fritz Richman (jug )
J.D.Souther
and a long list of guest vocalists and percussionists.....

Listen to the steel on "The Late Show"....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhUH_XrFseg&feature=related

How to get that lonely heart-tugging steel sound was not lost on Browne.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 27/07/2009 21:40:11
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2009 :  15:18:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...LFTS...a fine song..

And speaking of the Eagles isn't it interesting that really they didn't pay hardly any attention to the steel...just a guitar/vocal and drum based band. It's like they left their roots...for rock glory.

Go to Top of Page

sometimesmylifeissoeerie
Fourth Love

198 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  04:39:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just emailed the great Buddy Emmons, who did a lot of the sessions in L.A. in the late 60s up to the mid 70s, about the sessions he did for Judee Sill in 1971 and 73.
On one song "The Archetypal Man", Judee scats a fast,Bach-like vocal line, which is immediately followed by a wailing pedal steel solo by Buddy in a country waltz feel.
It's the most trippy thing I've ever heard- Country/Baroque music!
He also made a great pedal steel jazz album with Lenny Breau called "Minors Aloud" where he wails away on a fast modal Coltrane-type tune-equally trippy!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  18:36:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sometimesmylifeissoeerie

I just emailed the great Buddy Emmons, who did a lot of the sessions in L.A. in the late 60s up to the mid 70s, about the sessions he did for Judee Sill in 1971 and 73.
On one song "The Archetypal Man", Judee scats a fast,Bach-like vocal line, which is immediately followed by a wailing pedal steel solo by Buddy in a country waltz feel.
It's the most trippy thing I've ever heard- Country/Baroque music!
He also made a great pedal steel jazz album with Lenny Breau called "Minors Aloud" where he wails away on a fast modal Coltrane-type tune-equally trippy!

I'll have to get out my Judee Sill and listen again! I'm always so blown away by Judee, I don't hear everything else!

bob f.
Old Love

USA
1308 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2009 :  00:55:39  Show Profile  Visit bob f.'s Homepage  Reply with Quote
lk: i just watched the "pedal steel jam" from your link!
NOW i understand , " they CAN'T push the pedal steel to the background"! 4 pedal steel guitars, bass,and drums ! yow!

Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  07:43:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Prine (LOVE him!!) used the pedal steel to great advantage.....Bruised Orange

From Live Sound Stage 1980 DVD--a must!! rocker!!...with a story about the song...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFD2wZaBciY

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2009 :  14:33:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a great artist singing about our country and the people livng their lives...is he folk? is he country? Not sure but he's a songwriter who tells stories!...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2009 :  23:59:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry Garcia really lets loose on his inventive pedal steel here...
the pyschedelic country rock classic from New Riders' first LP!!

Dirty Business
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJdq0OcRK3o

Written by the amazing Marmaduke Dawson. The visionary for NRPS.

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 15/08/2009 :  04:55:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My favourite piece of pedal steel would have to be 'Death and Destruction' from NRPS's 'Gypsy Cowboy'. An apocalyptic behemoth of a track. My hat's forever off to Mr. Cage for that one... I think there's a version on Youtube. Good shout re. Gordon Huntley, Rocker. Mustn't forget the great B.J.Cole either.. still in demand, think I last saw him backing Paolo Nutini on t'box a few weeks ago. I also will always have a soft spot for the pedal steel on Jefferson Starship's 'Blows Against The Empire' .. holds up pretty well. Garcia? Also recommend the sublime pedal steel - IIRC by Daniel Lsnois's brother - on Brian Eno's 'Apollo' - the soundtrack for NASA's 'For All Mankind' film, recently aired on UK TV several times for Apollo 11/40. One of the most beautiful humbling films ever made. Music to match.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page