New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  14:08:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know I'm always looking for some good music dvd's. I have various soundtracks like "Help!", "Hard Day's Night", the Ed Sullivan dvd's, making of "Whos' Next", "Electric Ladyland" etc etc etc, Love dvd's included as well. Anybody care to list theirs? I'd be curious to know what I don't have and that may be real good. I don't want to be missing anything..thx ahead!...

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  17:35:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

You know I'm always looking for some good music dvd's. I have various soundtracks like "Help!", "Hard Day's Night", the Ed Sullivan dvd's, making of "Whos' Next", "Electric Ladyland" etc etc etc, Love dvd's included as well. Anybody care to list theirs? I'd be curious to know what I don't have and that may be real good. I don't want to be missing anything..thx ahead!...

This is a new DVD by Howard Kaylan...it sounds great and it's a NEW film about The Turtles, so it likely IS good. This is not a lost film from the 60's, but a new film by Howard Kaylan......Here's a review:

MY DINNER WITH JIMI Rhino DVD

It's the summer of 1967, and the Turtles' "Happy Together" has just bumped The Beatles from the top of the charts. A whirlwind promotional tour of England is booked, and The Turtles are sent winging their way to the Swinging London of Carnaby Street and Twiggy via a cheesy, chaotic Air India flight.

The mind-blowing events (purportedly true) of those events of those first 24 hours in the UK form the premise of this charming biopic which features an insightful, riotously funny screenplay by Turtles lead singer Howard Kaylan.

Flashbacks to a post-gig Sunset Strip dinner offer Mama Cass Eliot, Jim Morrison and Frank Zappa; in London, pal Graham Nash (then of The Hollies) and a dopey Donovan spin an advance reel-to-reel of Sgt Pepper's....., then take the group to The Speakeasy, where they meet The Fabs themselves, Brian Jones and, finally, Jimi Hendrix.

Although it's bypassing theaters for straight-to-home video (in stores Tuesday), this cheeky peek into pop stars' lives in the "Summer of Love" overcomes its limited budget with terrific casting, authentic costumes/hair, expert use of the era's wealth of pop gems and a rip-roaring storyline.

True or not--and Kaylan well knows that survivors get to tell the tales----it's a heck of a lot of fun.

--Jim Musser

By the way rocker...you MUST have the Dylan doc "Don't Look Back".........an essential!!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 04/06/2009 18:12:15
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  20:36:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you know it about D-L-B...it's on de shelf!...
This Kaylan production sounds interesting....thx
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2009 :  21:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another is The Doors Collection (1985) with three films & 3 hours on one DVD. It's another I'm guessing you have, but worth a BIG mention...probably the best live Doors concert filmed.

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  17:11:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you all have the 3 DVD set of the Monterey Pop Festival? Disc two has the full Hendrix set & the full Otis Redding set. Disc 3 has Buffalo Springfield, Quicksilver and many left off the original doc.

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  23:43:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here are some of mine:

Love Story (Start Productions, not Barbara Steisand!)

Odessey and Oracle Revisted (The Zombies)

Leonard Cohen Live in London

Smile (Brian Wilson)

The U.S. v. John Lennon

All the best, John E

P.S. Since you like Hendrix - A Film About Jimi Hendrix - 2 Disc Special Edition (selling for around a fiver in many places).

Edited by - John E on 05/06/2009 23:55:27
Go to Top of Page

Old_Man
Old Love

United Kingdom
668 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  10:16:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the top of my list would have to be Rory Gallagher's "Live at Montreaux" and "Irish Tour 1974" DVD's.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2009 :  18:45:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about "Fairport Convention: Beyond The Ledge" (1999) & "Jacquee McShee-Pentangle In Concert"!

Where's the definitive documentary DVD of The Byrds OR Buffalo Springfield......I think I'd BUY IT!!! WHILE WE STILL HAVE SOME SURVIVING MEMBERS...PLEASE!!!

dyecraig
Fourth Love

USA
203 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2009 :  14:53:47  Show Profile  Visit dyecraig's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Monks - the transatlantic feedback (this band is/was too much!)
Love - forever changes concert 2009 reissue (must have everything! Birchmere in AUGUST!)
Leonard Cohen - live in london (not quite as amazing as the show i saw at Merriweather Post, MD last month, but a great souvenir)
Wilco - Ashes of American Flags (regret i missed this on a big screen, can't wait to see then at Wolf Trap)
The Temptatations - get ready (incredible full clips from 65-72, plus a fun acapella audio setting! coming to Wolf Trap, too)
Jim Gaffigan - king baby (not music but funny as hell)
that new Scott Walker doc comes out on the 16th!
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2009 :  05:21:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benefit Concert for Arthur Lee (2006)

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2009 :  15:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
real good stuff!..I'm going to be looking out for all of your picks..some tough I haven't seen on the shelves....probably online...thx...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page