New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John E
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
322 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  21:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I first got into his music with "Bless the Weather" and "Solid Air" (I didn't know it was about Nick Drake at the time). After that, I bought his albums fairly consistently for some years...the one with "Spencer the Rover", "One World" (with the sublime "Small Hours"), "Grace and Danger", "Cool Tide", "The Apprentice". I saw him live a number of times...at Cousins with joint stuck in the end of his guitar and where he left the stage mid-set to have a pee; at a pub in West Kensington where he was in the audience watching Rico (stoned and friendly)and where we chatted with him; at The Junction Cambridge on the "Cooltide" tour (that was the best of all), and at Shepherd's Bush with Danny Thompson, where he left the stage for half an hour mid-set, leaving Danny Thompson to do a stand-up comedian routine! I didn't get to see him in recent years, but he was definitely one of the greats.

Bless his soul and bless the weather, John E

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  22:11:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rest in peace John Martyn. Glad he lived to see the highly acclaimed 4 CD boxed set release (2008): "Ain't No Saint".

The sweet disorder
Fourth Love

United Kingdom
218 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  22:42:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sad indeed...another one of my heroes as gone and only 60 as well. simply an astonishing talent with a voice and guitar skills you can only dream about..I'll listen to small hours tonight..listen for the geese and the train in the background with a sad heart
Go to Top of Page

Lizzyb
Fifth Love

United Kingdom
470 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2009 :  23:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Lizzyb's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Guilt shared is guilt reduced isn't it?
On Tuesday I used the cover of my Solid Air CD to scrape the air from my windscreen in frosty Coventry.

The obituary made me go on a google that brought back davy graham's anji to haunt me, One of the songs from my youth that made me who I am, maybe. I've also been listening to radio this week on morricone's soundtracks and a woman playing stride jazz piano. Then at home Barney's on a Winwood one.

Longtime puzzle -
Does the music we love shape who we are? or
do we love the music that fits with who we are?

Keep on shining
Go to Top of Page

MikeP
Fifth Love

406 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  02:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part of me's gone. Words fail.
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2009 :  16:34:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lizzy wrote:
Longtime puzzle -
Does the music we love shape who we are? or
do we love the music that fits with who we are?

Little bit o' both, don't you think, Lizzy?
My mother married during WW II but changed with the times. SHE bought our family's Buddy Holly and Fats Domino 45's & our first LP--Dusty Springfield...so it comes from everywhere. Ain't that a miracle.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 31/01/2009 16:36:16
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  14:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And when you mention Buddy Holly he also died 50 years ago this week.
Who knows how rock would've gone on if he, Valens and the Bopper hadn't died? Some new commemorative discs are coming out on Holly's work. I hope to eb getting them soon. take a listen..."Wishing"..."Crying, Wishing, Hoping'.."Learning the Game"...gems man...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2009 :  17:32:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

And when you mention Buddy Holly he also died 50 years ago this week.
Who knows how rock would've gone on if he, Valens and the Bopper hadn't died? Some new commemorative discs are coming out on Holly's work. I hope to eb getting them soon. take a listen..."Wishing"..."Crying, Wishing, Hoping'.."Learning the Game"...gems man...

Ya, rocker, the day the music died ..... the plane crash site has a memorial at the Clear Lake,Iowa location.....'bout an hour from here. The papers and media here usually does a good write up this time of year...especially this year. One of the first 45's my MOM bought was "That'll Be The Day...that I die....."

I still get the chills with that one. Time to pullout my first press vinyl Richie Valens LP & get rockin'..."La Bamba"!!!

Edited by - lemonade kid on 05/02/2009 17:36:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page