New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  16:58:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I heard my son had to pick up a few credits and the advisor suggested he go into this class they were offering. Hey I didn't know "rock" was in the college syllabus!!! I have the feeling I'll er be "rocking" with the kid!..Hmmm..do they now "major" in "garage band"?........

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2009 :  17:12:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rocker

Last night I heard my son had to pick up a few credits and the advisor suggested he go into this class they were offering. Hey I didn't know "rock" was in the college syllabus!!! I have the feeling I'll er be "rocking" with the kid!..Hmmm..do they now "major" in "garage band"?........

That would have been fun!!...of course the best part of the history was still being written when we were in school. Hope he does a paper on Love. Hey pop, start playing some more Love (or is your son already in LoVE?)

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2009 :  14:10:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Come to think of it that paper might be interesting. Any topics come to mind?? The role of LA in the rock movement? The motif of "death and dying" on music of the rock bands of the day? We'll probably have some discussions on it. Of course, he likes his "own" stuff but I figure he and his generation the appreciate the "clasics", i.e. the ones some of us here have grown up with. But I think he freaks when he sees me pick up the Killers..I get the quip..."trying to be contemporary, eh???".......so just to throw in a wrench I just might go and buy a record by Pat Boone or Bobby Vinton...
Go to Top of Page

lemonade kid
Old Love

USA
9873 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  17:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The effect of the Vietnam war: on our music, flower power, the peace movement, "revolution". Death was certainly on our minds what with Vietnam, the draft. The psychedelic movement in music, mind expanding drugs/music.....and the collateral damage of the period/movement.....mentally or worse.....Syd, Skip, Jimi, Janis, Jim M. so many more.
But the music first....lasted far beyond the losses. How many peace signs did you see this Christmas adorning homes?!!

The legacy of 60's music and how it has influenced your son's music (whether he likes to admit it or not)...garage, psych, grunge, hard rock....from the likes of Cream, Hendrix, Yardbirds, Who, Iggy, Zep, Kinks, Byrds, Beatles, Stones... their heavy influence is undeniable.

Edited by - lemonade kid on 29/01/2009 17:40:53
Go to Top of Page

rocker
Old Love

USA
3606 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2009 :  20:39:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thx lk..good ideas..we'll see what he focuses on..I'm looking forward to seeing what the prof "teaches"...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Messageboard For Love Fans © 2004 Torben Skott Go To Top Of Page